Marijuana Eradication Flights

Hi All,

Anybody on the board do these? Are they required to operate under Part 135 regs or is there some sort of exemption when doing work for law enforcement.

Care to share any of your experiences flying them?

Thanks!

Hi All,

Anybody on the board do these? Are they required to operate under Part 135 regs or is there some sort of exemption when doing work for law enforcement.

Care to share any of your experiences flying them?

Thanks!

Depends upon the agency's requirements. Most are flown under public service and there are no requirements. We do free lance and turn in to state police for a little fuel money. They use the Guard for most of their flights here in West Virginia. Every now and then the DEA sends in a couple of 500's and fly eradication for a couple weeks.

bossman

what do you mean by, "fly eradication for a couple of weeks"? is this mainly aerial recon, identification, and then eventual destruction of outdoor fields/indoor operations over a few weeks?? I'd imagine the use of thermal imaging to detect areas of high heat which might indicate artificial lighting sources for the marijuana to grow

what do you mean by, "fly eradication for a couple of weeks"? is this mainly aerial recon, identification, and then eventual destruction of outdoor fields/indoor operations over a few weeks?? I'd imagine the use of thermal imaging to detect areas of high heat which might indicate artificial lighting sources for the marijuana to grow

Eradication means they fly over the mountains and spot the fields and then direct the ground troops in for the harvest. All on outdoor fields. Easy to spot if you know what to look for.

bossman

Someone told me that me that the whole thermal detection thing is no longer done, at least here in NY. I have, however, no information to back this up.

As much as I love Helicopters and enjoy hearing about any type of flying, I have to comment on the "Eradication" of Marijuana. In my humble opinion, it's a complete waste of taxpayers money and a total waste of officers time. They need to use their time to take care of real crime. Basicly only in America does the law have anything at all to do with something as benign as people who use Marijuana.

The suits in washington are setting there drinking their poison as they try and tell folks that smoking it is somehow bad for you. Then they get in a car loaded on booze and kill people on the way home.

This would be a joke if it did not ruin people's life's by putting them in jail for doing something completely innocent and none of anyone else's business. Especally the Government.

As much as I love Helicopters and enjoy hearing about any type of flying, I have to comment on the "Eradication" of Marijuana. In my humble opinion, it's a complete waste of taxpayers money and a total waste of officers time. They need to use their time to take care of real crime. Basicly only in America does the law have anything at all to do with something as benign as people who use Marijuana.

The suits in washington are setting there drinking their poison as they try and tell folks that smoking it is somehow bad for you. Then they get in a car loaded on booze and kill people on the way home.

This would be a joke if it did not ruin people's life's by putting them in jail for doing something completely innocent and none of anyone else's business. Especally the Government.

I think you posted your rant in the wrong forum. Here, try this one...

http://capwiz.com/yo-demo/webreturn/?url=h...gov%2Fdoolittle