Bell 204

r8z^

Don't know of any that still use anything that old and underpowered.

I still use a UH-1B everyday. It has plenty of power for us. It's not that old, a 1962 model. She served her country very well during the Vietnam conflict as a rocket ship and a med-e-vac bird, from 1962 to 1971. She has had a long movie career and now she protects the forests of West Virginia from fires. By the way I'm a 1950 model myself.

bossman

I guess you don't know much about the industry. What would make you think that a B204 is underpowered, underpowered for what, its a medium utility helicopter with a 1500 shaft hp T53-13B engine capable of very easily lifting 4000 lbs at sea level, and I've seen it lift 5000 lbs at 4500ft, It is the best built, most dependable, most pilot freindly and most forgiving helicopter ever built. I also consider it to be the safest helicopter I've ever flown. I guess you EMS guy's do know it all!!!

This is slightly off topic of the Bell 204, but in my search to find out more about it I happened acrossed the VH-1. I was not aware that Reagan (and possibly Carter) used a variant of the Bell 212 renamed the VH-1N for presidential use in the early 80's with an autopilot. Its nice to see that the Huey lineage had made it to White House as the rotary limo for the president back then. I love learning new things, and I am surprised I had glossed over this fact a few months back when looking at the UH-1 and where it came from. Happy 4th guys!

http://www.helis.com/60s/h_h1v.php

Open mouth and insert both feet... :angry:

More than quite a few up here in Canuck land and they do quite well actually. Nothing out there that will touch them for cost and revenue producing abilities...

I guess you don't know much about the industry. What would make you think that a B204 is underpowered, underpowered for what, its a medium utility helicopter with a 1500 shaft hp T53-13B engine capable of very easily lifting 4000 lbs at sea level, and I've seen it lift 5000 lbs at 4500ft, It is the best built, most dependable, most pilot freindly and most forgiving helicopter ever built. I also consider it to be the safest helicopter I've ever flown. I guess you EMS guy's do know it all!!!

This is completely off topic but WOW... That's harsh. Please remember "EMS Guy's" provide an invaluable service and are not the hacks of the industry you make them out to be fatnlazy.

If you are prepared to make such a statement,

be prepared for the comments. These old girls still provide a great service, and revenue producing abilities.

Please remember "EMS Guy's" provide an invaluable service and are not the hacks of the industry you make them out to be fatnlazy.

Does this make EMS exempt?? What does this have to do with his comment??

In Canada we run them as normal cat, and there is still a few around doing everything from mining support, fire support, to heliskiing etc.

They are getting old, but still completely viable and useful aircraft. They have their role and fill it well.

Sorry Gomer Pylot, I came on a little strong before...

Well, maybe in the Frozen North :P, but in the US former military helicopters simply can't be used for passenger operations. There is no maintenance history available, because the military is not, and cannot be, regulated by the FAA. It's the same for any other public use aircraft. There are some law enforcement departments and other agencies that use surplus military aircraft, but they aren't regulated by the FAA either. I'm surprised Canada allows their use. But a UH1 isn't really a 204. A 204 is a civilian-certificated helicopter, and not many were produced. Some were operated in the GOM long ago, but were replaced rather quickly with newer and more capable models. A UH1B with engine upgrades isn't technically the same thing as a 204. Nor is a UH1H exactly the same thing as a 205.