Re-thinking my Career Choice

Guest ColoHeli

Come on,

You have a better chance of getting whacked driving down I-95 during a holiday weekend.

1 accident every 33 thousand hours. How many FATAL accidents occur every hour on the highways.

You are safer at work flying then getting there to go fly.

Here are some statistics backing that up that are from the 2000 Census...Just proving that Driving is more unsafe than flying IF you look at it statistically...which you did post some statistics there. Now Granted, I am not a Pilot YET, but I already know 12 people who were killed in a 60 crash in Iraq, 1 of which I knew personally. On top of that, I was an Aircraft Rescue Firefighter before I made the descision to become a Pilot, and I currently work as a Firefighter in the Civilian world. Again, I personally know of firefighters/friends that have died in the line of duty (Oh and don't for get the 343 that died on Sept 11th) Does that cause me to step back and think? You bet it does! I think about Safety and Training and I look at incident reports so I can learn from the incidents and how to best prevent the situation from happening to me. But if it happens, it happens and my time here was complete. Then I can thank God I am in a better place, and I can fly whenever I want under my own power ;)

See statistics below

http://www.allcountries.org/uscensus/1035_...and_deaths.html

Dude,

What a life! You need to stay airborne as it seems to be the safest place for you!! :)

Barks111,

sorry not trying to be a smart ass, just saying that plenty of stuff happens in every day life. To be honest where I grew up I was considered a bit boring as nothing much ever happened to me!!.

I think it is important to be aware of the risks of flying, and trying always to slant the odds in your favor to reduce the risks involved.

Flyt Safe

I think other members were correct when they said flying helos has to do with the level of acceptable risk varying for different individuals. But I also think it has to do with what was it that originally motivated those individuals to get into flying and/or currently what it is that motivates them to fly. What you get out of it has to equal what you put into it at the very least, which will vary due to personality. Some people point to statistics to rationalize the pros or cons of flying - I find the statistics a mute point because of what motivates me to fly. I personally got into flying when I had my demo flight and realized I could never spend the rest of my life grounded - I had found what I loved to do. I'm willing to check out doing what I love (even though you better believe I'll be doing everything in my power to prevent that)

I've reconciled with my thoughts of doom and have decided that I'm on the right path. The prospect of doing anything but this seems dull and I would surely lose my interest.

I received my Commercial in Phoenix and I had/have close contact with a few pilots that have been involved in accidents lately. I came home doing a bit of soul searching... I read some not so favorable stats, I then read flingwings safety related post (very sad) and came to realize that I once worked with him outside of the heli industry. Things were really hitting close to home for me and I had a rough day… hence the post.

However, since I know this occupation has brought me more happiness, enthusiasm, and challenge than anything I have ever done I know without a doubt I will continue on with my training/career. I'm glad in a way that I was forced to look at the sobering side and gain a greater appreciation for the hazards. I'll probably approach safety with a keener eye and more respect.

Totally understandable!

I've reconciled with my thoughts of doom and have decided that I'm on the right path. The prospect of doing anything but this seems dull and I would surely lose my interest.

I received my Commercial in Phoenix and I had/have close contact with a few pilots that have been involved in accidents lately. I came home doing a bit of soul searching... I read some not so favorable stats, I then read flingwings safety related post (very sad) and came to realize that I once worked with him outside of the heli industry. Things were really hitting close to home for me and I had a rough day… hence the post.

However, since I know this occupation has brought me more happiness, enthusiasm, and challenge than anything I have ever done I know without a doubt I will continue on with my training/career. I'm glad in a way that I was forced to look at the sobering side and gain a greater appreciation for the hazards. I'll probably approach safety with a keener eye and more respect.

That is a good way to look at it and like the above poster said, totally understandable! As far as safety goes...there are two things you can choose.... Safety or SGLI (Serviceman's Group Life Insurance) *the only way to get SGLI is to be dead...so Persoanlly I choose Safety, and it looks like you will scrutinize it more and be a better pilot in the future for it! ;)

What we do naturally carries with it an element of risk. Comparing it to everyday activities like driving to work is not really relevant. Virtually everyone has to drive (or be driven) so we are exposed to that risk, plus the inherent risk of flying. When Flingwing206 was killed, it really startled me. I didn't know him, other than here on the board, but I felt like I did. I got over it by strapping back in and flying the machine.

Truth be told, the vast majority of helicopter accidents are CFIT, wirestrikes, VFR into IMC, botched practice auto, settling with power or loss of situational awareness. Very, very few accidents are due to mechanical failure. If you read the NTSB reports and HeliOps and study the accidents, you are one step closer to retirement without injury.

I know it's gruesome to study the reports and many of us would rather not think about it but I believe you must constantly be aware of what can happen if you let your guard down. None of us like to speak ill of our fellow pilots (especially the dead ones) but we can look at some of the recent high-profile accidents and come up with ways to avoid them.

For instance, the R-44 in the UK. Read the story and you can quickly draw the conclusion that it was VFR into IMC. What was so damned important that they had to take off in the middle of the night in driving rain and fog?

The ENG ships in Pheonix: (I apologize in advance if anyone here lost a friend in that tragedy) In the military, they call this "target fixation" Both pilots were apparently busy watching the bad-guy and lost track of their primary focus; flying the helicopters.

Yes, flying is riskier than working in a law firm or teaching school but I think the risks are manageable and I'm going to work my butt off to avoid being a statistic. In addition, the rewards outweigh the risks for me. I was able to take my wife and son up with me the other day and there was absolutely nothing like it.

I'm sure there are riskier jobs with different rewards that would not make sense to me. ie. ice-road trucker, commercial fisherman, etc.

Edited by lockedcj7

What we do naturally carries with it an element of risk. Comparing it to everyday activities like driving to work is not really relevant. Virtually everyone has to drive (or be driven) so we are exposed to that risk, plus the inherent risk of flying. When Flingwing206 was killed, it really startled me. I didn't know him, other than here on the board, but I felt like I did. I got over it by strapping back in and flying the machine.

Truth be told, the vast majority of helicopter accidents are CFIT, wirestrikes, VFR into IMC, botched practice auto, settling with power or loss of situational awareness. Very, very few accidents are due to mechanical failure. If you read the NTSB reports and HeliOps and study the accidents, you are one step closer to retirement without injury.

I know it's gruesome to study the reports and many of us would rather not think about it but I believe you must constantly be aware of what can happen if you let your guard down. None of us like to speak ill of our fellow pilots (especially the dead ones) but we can look at some of the recent high-profile accidents and come up with ways to avoid them.

For instance, the R-44 in the UK. Read the story and you can quickly draw the conclusion that it was VFR into IMC. What was so damned important that they had to take off in the middle of the night in driving rain and fog?

The ENG ships in Pheonix: (I apologize in advance if anyone here lost a friend in that tragedy) In the military, they call this "target fixation" Both pilots were apparently busy watching the bad-guy and lost track of their primary focus; flying the helicopters.

Yes, flying is riskier than working in a law firm or teaching school but I think the risks are manageable and I'm going to work my butt off to avoid being a statistic. In addition, the rewards outweigh the risks for me. I was able to take my wife and son up with me the other day and there was absolutely nothing like it.

I'm sure there are riskier jobs with different rewards that would not make sense to me. ie. ice-road trucker, commercial fisherman, etc.

Hey locked, OT here but, what 4x4 sites are you on?

Come on,

You have a better chance of getting whacked driving down I-95 during a holiday weekend.

1 accident every 33 thousand hours. How many FATAL accidents occur every hour on the highways.

You are safer at work flying then getting there to go fly.

http://www.planecrashinfo.com/cause.htm

Fatalities per million trips / Odds of being killed on a single trip

Airliner (Part 121) 0.019 /52.6 million to 1

Automobile 0.130 /7.6 million to 1

Commuter Airline (Part 135 scheduled) 1.72 / 581,395 to 1

Commuter Plane (Part 135 - Air taxi on demand) 6.10 / 163,934 to 1

General Aviation (Part 91) 13.3 / 73,187 to 1

But if it happens, it happens and my time here was complete. Then I can thank God I am in a better place, and I can fly whenever I want under my own power ;)

And that my friends is really where we should get our comfort. Doing the best you can to fly safely and efficiently will guarantee that you fly safely and efficiently but when God calls, which he will, I hope everyone can go with peace and say that they've done good with their time here! Don't get bogged down with stats, of course if the company your flying for has poor maintenance practices by all means move on, but the spirit and majic of being airborne should be your driving force, not fear. That's my penny. :P

• 5 weeks later...

We spend a lot of time learning about aerodynamics, systems, aircraft limitations, emergency procedures, weather, we have currency requirements, flight review requirements, medical requirements, etc. Why? because the more we know and the better we understand, the better we are able to assess and manage risk.

The most important limitation to understand is our own. In the military we spent a lot of time in the preflight briefing discussing crew issues ie, "How did you sleep last night?" "How's the new baby?" "How are you feeling?". You have to make the transition from ground life to flight...you can't afford to dwell on the fight with the girlfriend when you are at the controls. You must know your own limitations and your training and practice should focus on expanding those limitations. As was stated earlier, most mishaps are due to aircrew error and most of those occured when the pilot exceeded his/her own limitations. Know when to raise the BS flag, and know when to cancel a mission.

Good luck in your flying.

A few weeks back I, as a police officer, got called out to a scene where a fellow had crashed head on with oncoming traffic on the highway. He had then gone off into the woods, climbed a tree, fell 30 feet and landed on a rock. Well, you have to give him for trying at least because the guy lived... Life is life. You can't control it 100 %. So why not just live it. Don't go around all scared and worried.

But bottom line is: use your head and don't be a "cowboy" and you will at least tip the scale in your favor considerably!

If something down deep is telling you to re think. Then I think its best to do just that.

Knowing when to get out isnt something we all can do.

Its not about helicopters at this point its about YOU !

I have so much respect for people like you !

Its better than pushing it tell one day we are all reading about some accident on this forum.

~Lana

I’m going to chime in on this one just briefly because I am an avid skydiver and this topic comes up ALL the time. It seems like every one always wonders when is it time to hang it up. I think the best answer is this..........When ever the risk out ways the reward.

I just recently had a son. All of my family assumed I would quit skydiving and were shocked to find out I still wanted to. Well at this point in my life skydiving is one of the things that bring me indescribable joy. I also recently had some really good friends die in a plane that I have almost all my jumps out of. Once again all my family thought I would quit but the thing of it is. I knew when I got into it that you can die doing it.

If you went into it thinking you had no chance of dieing then someone you know dies I could see it changing your mind. But hopefully you went into it with the understanding that you could possibly die doing it so seeing an accident shouldn’t come as a huge surprise.

I’m going to chime in on this one just briefly because I am an avid skydiver and this topic comes up ALL the time. It seems like every one always wonders when is it time to hang it up. I think the best answer is this..........When ever the risk out ways the reward.

I just recently had a son. All of my family assumed I would quit skydiving and were shocked to find out I still wanted to. Well at this point in my life skydiving is one of the things that bring me indescribable joy. I also recently had some really good friends die in a plane that I have almost all my jumps out of. Once again all my family thought I would quit but the thing of it is. I knew when I got into it that you can die doing it.

If you went into it thinking you had no chance of dieing then someone you know dies I could see it changing your mind. But hopefully you went into it with the understanding that you could possibly die doing it so seeing an accident shouldn’t come as a huge surprise.

That's what life insurance is all about. Get a policy that will provide for the commitment you made in having your son. What, can't get a policy or can't afford to pay what they're asking because of your hobby? Then maybe it's time to start thinking about your responsibilities vs your personal pleasures.

It's funny - I've just never been afraid of dying. I don't know if that makes me crazy or what, but that's just the way I am. I'm MUCH more afraid of getting hurt. I've never been afraid of flying, or storms (tornados, hurricanes), and even though I HATE carnival rides, it's not because I'm afraid of them breaking and killing me, I just don't like the feeling of being out of control. Maybe this is true, or maybe it's just wishful thinking, but it always seemed so unlikely to die like that, you know? I figure if I ever did, it was meant to be, and it wasn't going to do any good trying to avoid it (beyond reasonable safety precautions). I always loved the quote from Shakespeare:

"A coward dies many times before his death - the valiant never taste of death but once."

I have recently started my helicopter training and now have almost 20 hours of dual time. At times I have been discouraged (and even shocked) by how many ways there seem to be to have an accident in a helicopter. The main thing that has kept me from quitting is that I've remembered having similar thoughts and concerns in 1995 when I started my fixed wing training. At times I was tempted to quit. It would have been safer, easier, less frustrating, and certainly cheaper to simply quit training and continue my life as a groundling. Every day I'm thankful that I didn't take that route! Even though I have only flown airplanes as a hobby, I can't imagine not being a pilot. Flying has become an all-consuming passion. I don't know what I would do if I couldn't fly.

When I get discouraged about the dangers of flying helicopters (or flying in general), I have to remind myself of the rewards. I've spent 20 years doing a safe, boring desk job with fluorescent lights over me instead of the sky. A person that is meant to fly in this world, just slowly dies like that and doesn't even realize that it's happening.

To anybody who is thinking of giving up on the dream all I can say is, imagine your life without flying. If you can, perhaps you should quit. If the idea of not flying is unthinkable, then train to be the safest, most proficient pilot you can be and make your dreams come true.

Personally I don't want to be 90 years old, lying in a nursing home and wishing that I had done something better with my life!