Helicopter Flight School

Hey everyone. My name is Colby, I'm 18 years old and live in Arkansas. I am a fixed-wing pilot but believe I was born to be a helicopter pilot lol. I planned to be in fixed-wing flight school back in June until my Maj. in the CAP stopped me. The reason why he did was to fill me in with things about financing, such as SallieMae. I now understand since they are a private lender, not regulated by the government they can charge whatever interest they want. I'd hate to take out a $50,000 loan and repay triple that in interest. I believe though it's people that wait and wait years to pay it off is when the interest eats them alive.

I joined the CAP back in January and should have joined a long time ago but thought it was too military. Since then I've soloed and no longer have 20 something hours and going through numerous flight instructors and wasting money. I didn't get a medical until I joined because I was never told about getting one, good thing I passed it. I've always had an interest and for helicopters and the Bell 206L is my dream helicopter. This past Spring I signed up for an Army ROTC scholarship because I was talked into going military. If I ever went military I'd fly helicopters but it's all about getting the pilot slot. I backed out of it though thinking I was going to fixed-wing flight school.

This is where I've done my homework is comparing the civilian route vs. the military route, advantages and disadvantages of both. I look at it this way, 4 years of college and a year of flight training I'd be 23 or 24. Well going the civilian route, by that time I'd most likely have a job but that's fixed-wing I'm talking about. I do realize most pilots are ex-military. I've recently been looking at SSH and I'm glad I found these forums because you guys have just saved me a lot of stress of wanting to go look at their school in Tulsa.

If I wanted to go helicopters and do a professional pilot program, what would you guys recommend as far as the financing? Take a risk? People do it everyday, it's just younger people such as myself think "Oh I can get a loan for that." and never think of the payments, interest, etc. I also don't know of any schools around me, probably St. Louis or somewhere else. I apologize for giving such a long story. Any help is greatly appreciated and I'm glad to have found these forums!

Colby

I'm a retired Navy helo pilot. I would say first, go to college and snag that four year degree. Your second option would be an AS degree and go into the Army Warrant program, they pretty much do all the flying in the army.

The Navy training goes like this: 100 or so hours in a turboprop primary trainer. At that point you either go 1) Jets, 2) Props (C-130, E-2, etc), or 3) Helos. It's always the needs of the Navy but having good primary flight grades improves your chances of getting your first choice. If you want helos, you should have no prblem getting them. If you go helos you'll spent 20+ hours in the 206 then on to HT-18 and more 206 time...then those nice gold wings.

Take a look at this link to get an idea of the advanced helo training routine:

http://www.bryanweatherup.com/gouge/Advanced/

In 17.5 years I logged about 3000 hours...that's only about 173 hours a year but it was all turbine time worth at least $425,000 per year in turbine rental cost alone.

Now I have a little retirement pay and medical dental through my retirement as well as life long base and commissary privileges (no sales tax at either place).

It's not a bad way to go. Your choices:

1) Navy/Marine/Coast Guard (we all go through flight school together)

2) Army

The Air Force has helos but it is a very small piece of the pie.

Just my .02

Good luck in whatever choice you make, sounds like you have a pretty good head on your shoulders.

Mike

First of all, congrats on your accomplishments so far - very impressive for someone your age.

My advice would be... 1) Continue your fixed-wing training while you attend college and obtain your commercial/instrument ASEL ratings. Once you finish college and have those fixed-wing ratings under your belt, it'll be very simple (and relatively inexpensive) to get your comm/inst rotorcraft add-on ratings.

Or... 2) Enroll in Army ROTC in college and join the Army Reseves/National Guard. Once you are a cadet, find a Reserve/Guard aviation unit to join and serve in the "Simultaneous Membership Program" (SMP). When you finish college, you will not only have your degree, but you will also be guaranteed Aviation Branch and flight school. In the Reserves, lieutenants fly just as much as warrants, so don't worry about that - you can always revert to Warrant later if you don't enjoy being commissioned.

FYI - I've been in the Army Reserves for 24 continuous years and am still serving. I went to Army flight school in 1988 and have served in a variety of aviation and non-aviation positions over the years. During the years that I was on flight status, I averaged about 100 hours/year - more or less. It's demanding and requires a lot of commitment, but it is also very rewarding. The training and experience is second to none.

You sound like a bright and mature young man - I'm sure you'll do fine with whatever path you choose. Good luck.

I'm a retired Navy helo pilot. I would say first, go to college and snag that four year degree. Your second option would be an AS degree and go into the Army Warrant program, they pretty much do all the flying in the army.

The Navy training goes like this: 100 or so hours in a turboprop primary trainer. At that point you either go 1) Jets, 2) Props (C-130, E-2, etc), or 3) Helos. It's always the needs of the Navy but having good primary flight grades improves your chances of getting your first choice. If you want helos, you should have no prblem getting them. If you go helos you'll spent 20+ hours in the 206 then on to HT-18 and more 206 time...then those nice gold wings.

Take a look at this link to get an idea of the advanced helo training routine:

http://www.bryanweatherup.com/gouge/Advanced/

In 17.5 years I logged about 3000 hours...that's only about 173 hours a year but it was all turbine time worth at least $425,000 per year in turbine rental cost alone.

Now I have a little retirement pay and medical dental through my retirement as well as life long base and commissary privileges (no sales tax at either place).

It's not a bad way to go. Your choices:

1) Navy/Marine/Coast Guard (we all go through flight school together)

2) Army

The Air Force has helos but it is a very small piece of the pie.

Just my .02

Good luck in whatever choice you make, sounds like you have a pretty good head on your shoulders.

Mike

Second all of the above. Go to college...it'll be the best four years of your life (but don't just party, get an education). Go in the service...preferrably USMC, but Navy if you must...and travel and have the second best time of your life. Make lots of contacts and keep in touch with them. When you get out make a million bucks (it won't be by flying though) or change the world, your choice.

You're welcome.

Thank you for your replies. To be honest I am not attending college at the moment. I never liked school and always had trouble with the teachers and students. College is different, but we'll see what happens, can't seem to get anywhere these days without a degree, even an Associates isn't good enough. About the Marines, I have a Lt. Col. in my squadron whom flew F-18's in the Marines, but like he said, you'll fly for a few years, then they put you doing a ground job, then back to flying and so on.

Currently, I'm looking for a job. I recently passed an interview to become a correctional officer at a prison. Yes, that does go away from my aviation career. There are reasons why I want the job, even though the job itself will probably suck. I have always had an interest for law enforcement and this is a good way to get my foot in the door. Also, I need a fall back career later on in case I were to ever bust a medical, or if I wanted to combine aviation and law enforcement together. They also give you a FREE college degree and I take the classes at the prison with the inmates. It's a four year degree but they give you two years. The other two years is done online and at my expense. I was looking at the education aspect of why I would want that job. I could stick with just the Associates but like I stated previously, even that isn't good enough these days.

I planned to solo at 16 and have my license at 17 but had some problems. I was 14 and would fly at least once a week and then ran into financial problems to where I'd be lucky to fly once every few months. When I was 15 I joined a fire department. I'm a certified firefighter and first responder and have enjoyed doing that the past 3 years. More than anything though is I love aviation most. I do appreciate your guys help and if what I have posted gives you a better insight of my current plans and you'd like to add on please do!

I greatly appreciate any information or advice you'd like to give me.

Thank you,

Colby

Colby,

It pretty much sounds like you know what you want to do and all I can say is go for it. I will encourage you to get a college education though. It will help you out in what ever you choose to pursue, aviation or law enforcement. You don't need it for either, but it helps.

I'm currently in the law enforcement field so if you have any questions about LE just let me know. One of my duties is the recruitment of new officers and so I have insight to what we look for.

Will

Colby,

My brother in law is a recruiter, the military is paying big bucks for pilots right now.

If you get a 4 year degree in a state college, just major in Meterorology, and take what ever they have for aerodynamics courses.

Being in the south might limit your flying time in the small motored piston training ships.

Consider moving for your training.

The private ticket shouldn't cost you 20 G.

If you walked in to a recruiter with a good asfab score, a 4 year degree and a private pilots licence, fixed or rotory, the man behind the desk will pass out. The sign up bonus will clear any debt you have incurred, and probably leave some extra.

The only negative on the military side is the time commitment. Not being able to determine where you are going to live for the time you are enlisted.