?? RE: Helicopter Add On

I have a question regarding FARs. I am currently a Commercial ASEL pilot. I am looking to add helicopter private to my certificate and then Commercial. According to FAR 61.63(B)(5) I need not take a written knowledge test "provided the applicant holds an airplane, rotorcraft, etc.. rating at that pilot certificate level." My question is do I need to take another written test since I am at a Commercial (airplane) level, not private?? I have been told that there is a "add on" test that is just the rotorcraft questions for the private pilot, but I have not been able to verify that anywhere.

I realize that I could go and add the Commercial Add-on; however my training is being paid for by my employer, however I can not SOLO in the companies helicopters. So I need to "farm out" my private so I can start logging PIC in company helos, and then do my commercial rotorcraft.

There is not an add-on written test for the private, instrument, or commercial...

There is an add-on written test for the CFI, CFII, and ATP...

If you get your private first, you'll still need to do 10 hours of solo time post-private to get your commercial, and from your post, it sounds like you won't be able to do that in the company helicopter. So budget for doing that in a rented helicopter as well.

A more direct answer to your question is found in John Lynch's FAQs. Not official but usually right.

Here's the text.

I hope that helps.

Joker

QUESTION: § 61.63(B)(5) states ". . . (5) Need not take an additional knowledge test, provided the applicant holds an airplane, rotorcraft, powered-lift, or airship rating at that pilot certificate level . . ." if the person holds a pilot certificate for power to power ". . . at that pilot certificate level . . ." If an individual holds a commercial pilot certificate and wants to add an additional aircraft rating at the private pilot certification level, is a knowledge test required? If not, how does that answer the question about ". . . at that pilot certificate level . . ." in § 61.63(B)(5)?

ANSWER: Ref. § 61.63(B)(5); If the person holds an airplane, rotorcraft, powered-lift, or airship rating and is applying for an additional aircraft rating (i.e., airplane, rotorcraft, powered-lift, or airship rating) at a lower pilot certification level, then the person needn't take an additional knowledge test. I agree the wording of § 61.63(B)(5) should have probably been written like ". . . at that pilot certificate level or at a lower pilot certification level. . ." But I know in the past (see Q&A 99), when AFS‑840 has been asked this question, the answer has been that an applicant who holds an aircraft rating in a powered aircraft (meaning, airplane, rotorcraft, powered-lift, or airship rating) at a higher pilot certification level is not required to take another knowledge test for addition of an aircraft rating at the same pilot certification level or at a lower pilot certification level.

{Q&A-527}

Edited for bloody emoticons!

Edited by joker

• 1 month later...