Longer Tail ???

zemogman

In a recent post I saw someone mention something about a longer tail on an MD-520 NOTAR that was for sale (I think it was)...

It got me thinking... <_>

Wouldn't a helicopter have more tail rotor authority if the tails were longer? Even just a little bit?

It's obvious that this would cause a CG issue and design calculations would have to be redone for structural considerations, etc...but TR effectiveness would increase just like when using a lever...wouldn't it? The further out you go from center the more "lever" action you get.

Couldn't this also alleviate LTE from MR interference with the TR ???

It certainly would leave us with an odd looking helicopter...

I

(()) X X

(((((((()))) X X

((((((((((((()))))) _____________________________________________________X

((((((((((((())))))))____________________________________________________X X

(((((((((())))))) X X

I I

L_____I_____I______

Just wondering...

Would also make a helicopter that would want to weather vane more in a crosswind, and harder to keep the CG within limits, not to mention the helicopter would weigh more because one would have to lengthen the front to offset the tail. Weight is an enemy of the helicopter and all aircraft trying to defy gravity. I asked Tim Tucker and Frank Robinson at the Robinson safety course why the tail rotor on the R22 turned the 'wrong way'. Both told me that the couple of extra pounds that the tail rotor gearbox weigh would far outweigh (pardon the pun) the benefit of the tail rotor spinning the better direction and make the machine over 20 lbs heavier. Weight in the tail has a bad effect.

Would also make a helicopter that would want to weather vane more in a crosswind.

Zemog- Just fly a Bell 47 and you can see for yourself !!