Safety First

rotor91

What's wrong with this video? What are they doing here....driving to the end of the driveway, or in a parking lot....UMMMM NO....we're flying.....and I think you should be wearing a seatbelt....and be in your own seat, don't you think?

Flying w/o a seatbelt......PRICELESS

Your thoughts?

R91

What's wrong with this video? What are they doing here....driving to the end of the driveway, or in a parking lot....UMMMM NO....we're flying.....and I think you should be wearing a seatbelt....and be in your own seat, don't you think?

Your thoughts?

R91

I don't mind stupid people not wearing their seat belt and shoulder harnesses (we don't know from this video if they have their lap straps on)- adults making informed choices, actions and consequences, you know: Yuh pays yer money and yuh takes yer chances; Darwin at work, etc. Besides, which dummies are a large part of my business- EMS.

Not providing for the child's safety, however, sets me OFF! If anything happened, anything at all, that little fellah would be bouncing around the cockpit, or out one of the "press out" emergency exit windows (15 lbs of force, and ALL the windows except the windshield in an AStar)... It would be alright by me if I never fly another kid.

Ever been in a helicopter wreck? My favorite description-

Take one of those industrial washing machines from the laundromat up on the roof of a 2 story building, with a long extension cord.

You'll also need running lawn mower, for "excitement and atmosphere", stuff it in the washer, and get in behind it.

Have a friend close the washer door, start it, and push it off the roof.

Only thing missing is the way the helo thrashes around, self destructing, after a crash.

Edited by Wally

Ever been in a helicopter wreck? My favorite description-

Take one of those industrial washing machines from the laundromat up on the roof of a 2 story building, with a long extension cord.

You'll also need running lawn mower, for "excitement and atmosphere", stuff it in the washer, and get in behind it.

Have a friend close the washer door, start it, and push it off the roof.

Only thing missing is the way the helo thrashes around, self destructing, after a crash.

Boy, that'll scare away some potential students... keyword: POTENTIAL.... Not any more!! hah. that's funny though :lol:

Flip

-just to clarify- Crashing is not funny, nor is taking a child unprotected... the description used above though... hah!

Edited by Flip

Your thoughts?

R91

Rob, you scared the guy off U tube ! Video removed. Goldy

What an idiot. When I saw the video this afternoon, someone had put something like "that's illegal, somebudy call the FAA and child services on this guy" as a comment. LOL

What kind of helicopter was that? F28? AStar?

Our med crews are horrible about wearing their seat belts. I understand they can't be strapped in all the time when they're up messing with the patient or reaching for the supplies, equipment, whatever. But, their excuse is always, "Oh, if something goes wrong I'll just put it one real quick." YEAH RIGHT! We usually fly at 1500-2000 AGL. Granted, that's about a minute of freefall, but if I have to do some creative flying to get into a hole, there's no way they'll be able to get those lap belts and shoulder harnesses on. Lap belts, maybe.....but trying to thread those shoulder harnesses through the buckles is hard enough on the ground.

How is it in the GOM? Will those guys wear their belts?

They wear their belts or they go home without a job. The problem is that they try to unbuckle them as quickly as possible, often before the skids (or wheels) quite touch down. You can hear the clicks. We yell at them, but it does little good unless we can pinpoint an individual, in which case he may be going home soon. Depends on the company, but most at least give lip service to safety.

So, do you load/off load those guys with the blades still turning? Or do they wait until the blades stop? By your comment above, Gomer, it sounds like they're ready to get out once the skids are down... So, if that's any indication - I think it answers my question. Still curious how that works.

Flip