R-44 Crash – 2004 – lessons learned?

What stands out for me are the pilot’s “I apologize” and what look like porky pies (lies) fabricated for the NTSB (given the video evidence). :blink:

Thoughts?

What happens to a guy like this? Do they have to pony up for the R-44? Lose their license? Some other form of sanction or discipline by the FAA?

Video - R-44 crash (You Tube link)

NTSB Report - Probable Cause

The helicopter was substantially damaged when the main rotor contacted an open hangar door during takeoff and the helicopter subsequently impacted the ground. The pilot stated that the helicopter was parked on the ramp approximately 35 feet from the hangar. The bi-fold hangar door was open and extended about 10 feet out over the ramp. He stated that after takeoff, as the aircraft began to move away from the hangar, the passenger in the left front seat "accidentally and inadvertently hit or bumped the counterweight portion of the cyclic." The helicopter drifted toward the open hangar door and before he could correct the drift the main rotor clipped the bottom edge of the door. He recalled: "I quickly maneuvered away from the hangar building and began to level the aircraft." The helicopter descended to the ramp. The subsequent hard landing caused the skids to collapse and the main rotor to sever the tail boom. A ground witness to the accident submitted a video recording of the accident flight. Review of the recording revealed that after the helicopter lifted-off, it paused in a hover for a few seconds and then began to climb out, subsequently contacting the door. No drift toward the hangar building was observed prior to rotor blade contact with the door.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:

The pilot's inadequate preflight planning due to his selection of an unsuitable takeoff area and his failure to maintain clearance from the open hangar door. A contributing factor was the open hangar door.

NTSB Report - Factual (PDF)

NTSB Report - Probable Cause (PDF)

Yes, but he did save the $5 it would have cost for a can of spray paint to mark a safe take off and landing area away from the hangar. Would anyone have taken off if you looked at the ship and it was ten feet out of a circle ?? Such a simple safety measure could have easily prevented this one....thats one lesson learned.

Goldy

Yes, but he did save the $5 it would have cost for a can of spray paint to mark a safe take off and landing area away from the hangar. Would anyone have taken off if you looked at the ship and it was ten feet out of a circle ?? Such a simple safety measure could have easily prevented this one....thats one lesson learned.

Goldy

I know my 24's from tip to Plate will be 16 feet away from the closest thing to my take off area.

We never thought about blade hits when we marked out or distances, the markers were for wind gusts and window damage zones.

I will show my father this video, I already know what he will say.

It just strikes me that I would of looked up and thought about distance from me to structure.

(the cost of blades arnt cheap !) my gyro blades alone cost me 1,400

wonder how much a set of R44 blades cost?

Sounds like the FAA determined it was the pilot's fault. I couldn't see too well, but it looked like the left controls were still on. That's against the POH, right?

HVG

The POH has no limitation about left seat controls. Pathfinder Insurance, however, requires the controls be removed if the left seat occupant is not a rated helicopter pilot.

44 blades- $36,000.00 a pair

New Raven I- $289,000.00

Lucky occupants- priceless

Pilot really poked the pooch on this one.

Hollie crap !

36k for 44 blades, now this just makes me think, what a moron... thats just tossing money out the window.

I look at the video and think, what a new-bee mistake. And he gives instruction ?

Ill bet theres 4 to 5 thousand dollars of damage to the hanger, Construction cost can really ring up as the force of the blades could of made a mess up and down the support studs. loosen up all the H Clips and just maybe the force translated down to the foundy. that be a fun place to have repaired!

then there is the person who owns the property if this person who owns the AC and files insurance (If LOL) Doesn't that some how find its way back to the property owner(s) Through there property insurance?

If I owned the property and found out the owner/operator/instructor just clipped the upper rafters of my structure with his helicopter blades I would have second thoughts about renting said property.

Its like opening a car door to close to another car, (Retarded) But it does happen, In this case the person in the car doesn't take a chance with every ones life! I think I would watch this person from here on out and try to get him/her out from under my property. its one of the mistakes that should of never happened !

The POH has no limitation about left seat controls. Pathfinder Insurance, however, requires the controls be removed if the left seat occupant is not a rated helicopter pilot.

I don't know about the r44, but I do believe in the r22 the poh says unless the passenger is a rated pilot the left seat controls must be removed.

Hollie crap !

36k for 44 blades,

Forget the blades or damage to the hangar, the damage to the 44 probably exceeds 150K for repairs....maybe even 200K...they can probably re-use the floormats though..

Edited by Goldy

Forget the blades or damage to the hangar, the damage to the 44 probably exceeds 150K for repairs....maybe even 200K...they can probably re-use the floormats though..

Sorry Goldy, I was thing that the helicopter was totaled, thats alot of force that translated from the blades to the airframe. I didn't think the AC would be flight worthy after striking the hanger, I didn't say so because the AC looked on the okay side, but still think the craft was a gone-er.

Floormats ?

try Rino Lining ! lol.

~LD

Pink-Rino's are so cute.