LASD Air 5

Goldy

So I'm up minding my own business today on patrol, checking out some skid marks and 350 feet down a canyon I spot a wheel....attached to a car in the brush. In comes Air 5....my favorite rescue ship of all time (but I am biased), took a couple shots as he went overhead, in 75knot winds...just about blew me off the roadway. Look at the coning as he is descending, basically he is in a mountain wave downdraft....he pushes over to get his downwind speed up, and then if you look close, look at the top of the photo...you will see the power lines crossing the canyon ABOVE the ship....yes, he is flying under the power lines. This is nothing for these guys. I am a fair weather pilot...over 20 knots, I dont need to be anywhere. I am totally in awe of these pilots.

I was assigned a brush fire earlier in the day, so I threw in a couple shots of the Super Scoopers flying overhead at 200AGL, with power lines all around...also in 80knot wind..Just as one was flying overhead, the wind shifted and a gust took me off my feet...I'm only 245 pounds..felt like it was 100 MPH. For those reading in the LA area, Air 5 shots are up in the ANF, brush fire was off the 14 and Placerita Canyon.

My hats off to these guys..

Fly safe, Goldy

Edited by Goldy

Good Picks goldy,

Have a friend in Mira Mesa packed and ready to go, hope the santa anna wind drops, and the fire boys & girls get it under control real quick, the devastation is real bad.

Good Picks goldy,

Have a friend in Mira Mesa packed and ready to go, hope the santa anna wind drops, and the fire boys & girls get it under control real quick, the devastation is real bad.

It will probabaly go down in history as the worst fire season in So Cal ever. All this devastation in only 4 days. Tomorrow is the day though....light winds forecast, and 15 degree cooler temps. It was 85 last night at 10 PM, its 9:30 now and its about 70...nice night. ALL aircraft should be up in full force tomorrow and that should make a huge difference.