Helicopter hat

Does anyone know where to get a good helicopter hat that is deeper than most? I guess I have a big head because all of the ones I have gotten are too shallow. I have picked up the yellow bell hat, the schweizer hat, the AOPA hat and another I got as a gift. They all fit fine around but are too shallow.

Also does anyone want to buy a hat? :)

Call me naiive, but what the hell is a 'helicopter hat'?

Do you mean one of these? Sorry, I don't have any.

Helicopter-hat150.jpgpropeller_beanie_hat.jpghats_beanie_paperhat.jpg

Or do you need one even deeper like this guy! Whoa, almost fits his whole body. Now that's deep.

budgie-1.jpg

Or maybe you're after a classic pilot's hat?

0609pilotcap_3.jpg

Personally, I like to fly in one of these.

007696018.jpg

OK, now I'm being silly.

Are you serious? Just wear your favourite hat under your headset. There is no FAR that says, "No pilot shall act as pilot in command of a helicopter unless his hat has a picture of a helicopter on it!"

I checked.

Joker

Alternatively you could try this website: http://www.helicoptersonly.com/index1.html

These guys claim to have the 'original Pilot's Hat'! http://www.aerovation.com/

Edited by joker

Actually I do believe Part 91§123.25 does states that your hat must bear a helicopter, and also must fit your head proportionately.

Seriously though what the guy means is the damn hat sticks up to high on his head. Sorry though I don't wear hats would know where to get one. However I will say that I know I look funny with a headset on and no hat. The headsets are just so big a fluffy.

Edited by slick1537

I found it. You were right. Part 91§123.25(a)(ii) and (B)

Sec. 123.25 Pilot Headwear

(a) No pilot shall act as pilot in command of a US registered aircraft unless--

(1) that pilot wears appropriate headgear for the duration of the flight which;

(i) bears the logo and name of the manufacturer of the aircraft and;

(ii) is proportioned so that the hat sits snugly to the head of the pilot so as not to obscure vision, ride too high, or give any other person good reason to laugh at that pilot.

(B) Appropriate headwear is headwear which has the markings, colours and logo relating to the category class (and type if required) of the aircraft being flown, unless other headwear has been approved by the adminstrator.

(c ) No person may operate a civil aircraft unless it carries a spare hat which must be--

(1) Easily accessible throughout the flight and;

(2) Is of an approved construction as provided in paragraph (B) of this section.

(d) This section does not apply to operations or anytime where no other persons, other than required flight crew will witness the wearing of the headgear. At such times, other headgear such as toupe, wig, fire helmet, party hats, may be worn at the discretion of the pilot in command.

Edited by joker

I can never find a hat shallow enough to fit my head, they are always too deep and push down on my ears. I'll take the ones that are too small!! Btw, you'll have more heli logo hats than you know what to do with once you get a JOB...simplest uniform there is.

Goldy,

I'm looking at your avatar and wondering if you have a chinstrap for your hat/headset....... and further issues with pens in your pocket, loose change,a pocketknife (closed I hope) the bag of Chee-Tos in the center console........ and dodging a clipboard flying around your head in the cockpit...... gettin' kinda messy in here...... or is it "The world according to Vel-Cro???" Things that make you go HMMMM! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't be knocking Velcro, now. That's one of the most useful inventions in the history of inventing. I have Velcro all over the inside of my truck, and on my helmet, and lots of other places. Have the proper respect. :D

Do you have one of those Velcro walls so when you get home you can just throw you helmet at the wall and it sticks?

and lots of other places

I don't even want to ask..........

No Velcro wall, but Velcro holds a headlight on the front of the visor, for seeing in the dark - starting, writing down the scene coordinates, etc. The instrument lights go to almost off instantly when the starter button is depressed, and I don't like starting a C30 without knowing that I can see the TOT and N1 gauges all the way through the start. I just won't do it. I have a second LED light on the side, red, just in case. I have Velcro in several places on my flight suit, it came that way. There is even Velcro on my boots, to keep the zipper from opening by itself. That came installed, too. Velcro keeps pens handy in the cockpit. I didn't install that, someone else did. Velcro holds blackout curtains, so the light from the back doesn't blind me on the trip to the hospital. The med crew doesn't like working on patients in the dark. They also have lots of stuff held in place with Velcro. In all seriousness, it's very useful stuff.

Goldy,

I'm looking at your avatar and wondering if you have a chinstrap for your hat/headset....... and further issues with pens in your pocket, loose change,a pocketknife (closed I hope) the bag of Chee-Tos in the center console........ and dodging a clipboard flying around your head in the cockpit...... gettin' kinda messy in here...... or is it "The world according to Vel-Cro???" Things that make you go HMMMM! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have you ever seen someone that can just be standing there and then do a back flip. When I roll the R22 over, I really do it so fast that the centrifigal forces ( hmm..or is that centripital or coriolis effect ?) keep everything right side up. Heck, I had to buy a high end camera just so the shutter would capture the stop motion. ATC rarely allows me to do auto's to the runway (they never want to watch), if they ever caught me doing aerobatic manuevers during a hover taxi...they would really be pissed !

Hovering upside down isnt that tough really...getting the main rotor coning WHILE hovering upside down...now thats a tough one.

Goldy

Edited by Goldy

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there some new FAA reg about having to be able to demonstrate an upside down hover for your PPL ride?

Wow I leave you all alone in this post for one minute and look what happens!

OK....flexfit makes really nice hats that fit well and are deep enough. I'm not looking for the little propeller on my head or to be wrapped up for sled dog racing (no offense heligirl03) but thanks for the laugh. I'm just thinking about getting some hats made up that will fit my, and a lot of other people's, head without feeling like your balancing a wash cloth on your head.

Does anyone in here have this problem? I like how AOPA's hat has the ball on top removed so your headset doesn't push it into your head.

Does anyone in here have this problem? I like how AOPA's hat has the ball on top removed so your headset doesn't push it into your head.

I pull the button off of every hat I get right along with the tags, started doing it years ago, waaaay before I was flying. Too many goose-eggs on my noggin from various button-related incidents. Soooo comfy with a headset now and no worries outside the cockpit either!! :wacko: