GOM operator of choice

Guest rotorflyr84

Guest rotorflyr84

Just curious what your GOM operator(s) of choice is and why?

Just from reading the company websites, I have taken interest in PHI, and RLC (Not done reading yet ;) ). Any informations as far as how much flight time one can possibly expect, etc...would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for the continous help you all provide.

B)

In case you don't know who Gerry Golden is, he is the Director of Operations at RLC. I don't

know what Mr. Pylot's problem is, but G.G used to work at PHI with Gomer. Gomer is being

pretty mysterous, but maybe he will tell us. Gerry Golden will interview you and be the final

decision as to whether you get hired. After that, you might see him every 6 months and say

hello as you walk by. RLC supplies me with a good aircraft, they fix it when it's broken (which is

pretty rare) and they treat me well. They have a lot of good contracts. Some fly a little, some

fly a lot. Some you have to stay offshore a lot, some not at all. Almost all work 14/14. If you want

to work a lot, you can make $80,000+ your first year. It's been a good experience for me.

As far as hours, 300-600 a year. We have pilots flying contracts that do about 1000

per year. Depend on what you like.

Edited by helonorth

I've only been a pilot for a short while, however I have been a mechanic in the GOM field/EMS field for 10 years and I've seen the industry and worked for most of them. My list as follows

1. PHI

2. Era

3. Air Log

- EverGreen

100+. RLC

Currently there is a movement in the Gulf to revitalize it's fleet and make advancements in safety and Ops. Also you must consider "what do I want to do after my time in the GOM?" Personally I want EMS, Phi is one of the GOM operators that have a Med Evac side and with enough time and training you can advance and transfer over while never leaving the company. They are currently revitalizing there fleet and have been in the heavy in that movement. Era is in the forefront of the revitalization and Safety movement, begins training in Eurocopters (which currently hold 43% of the market share of the industry), and has a distant Med Evac side.. Unfortunately word on the street is that the contracts aren’t that great. Air Log has been trying to revitalize but still have a large fleet of 206's, however they do have good benifits tuition rembusement program, and great safety program. Evergreen has been known to have shoddy maintenance. RLC, the great RLC.... No offence to their pilots please, but RLC is the only provider that doesn’t require a Instrument rating, and due to their ambition to grow, are hiring at a astronomical rate, and in my opinion sacrificing some safety... They take pretty much bottom of the barrel contracts and just plain unprofessional in appearance. There helicopters are mostly 206's and they don’t even have enough inactivate to paint there helicopters a Uniform color or scheme.

With Eurocopter holding the lion's share of the market, Fully Articulated rotor time is the way to go. Companies that continue to fly antiquated equipment only leave their pilots in the same boat...

I do need to say, RLC is a job, and a job as a pilot at that. If they were the only to offer a job I would apply and consider all before them

With Eurocopter holding the lion's share of the market, Fully Articulated rotor time is the way to go. Companies that continue to fly antiquated equipment only leave their pilots in the same boat...

Fully Articulated rotor time???

Not sure why that is important...Is this going to be a new hiring prerequisite??? :huh:

Hiring Prereq, no, but hiring prefrence with Eurocopter operators... Example: Mavrick Helicopters operates EC-130's and do require some fully artic. time.

My point was that since Eurocopter holds a lot of the market share it tends to be a prefrence beyond the GOM

Just keep working on building that "fully articulated rotor time", since Eurocopter has "43% of

the market share of the industry". Maybe you could glue another blade on your R-22. If I don't

get some " fully articulated rotor time," will I be left behind? Did you really work in the GOM?

RLC may not be your first choice, but i'm glad you never touched anything I have flown. Wow!

With Eurocopter holding the lion's share of the market,Fully Articulated rotor time is the way to go. Companies that continue to fly antiquated equipment only leave their pilots in the same boat...

Actually, an Astar is not a fully articulated rotor system. I have no knowledge of any GOM company but from your profile you seem to be new to the industry relatively speaking. Take some advice. Never Bash on a public forum a company especially when you leave a trail behind. You never know who is reading this. You are starting out and you never know if you might have to apply to that operator you are bashing. Also the 206 and the like will be here for a LONG time so it's good to have experience in multiple airframes and as you have put it "multiple rotor systems" even though there is not much difference between flying the two.

Hello everyone, My name is Adam. I am a Firefighter and a pilot. I just borrowed a lot of money to get my helicopter license. I want to make a career change. My ultimate goal is to fly for Med Flight or Air Evac. I just dont know where to get the hours. I am going to go through my CFI in a chopper and I can get about 20 hrs a month in a 206 but I need 1500 at thats going to take forever. Any other options out there

Thanks

Adam

I have no knowledge of any GOM company but from your profile you seem to be new to the industry relatively speaking. Take some advice. Never Bash on a public forum a company especially when you leave a trail behind

I always appreciate the banter on message boards. I've been in this industry for 10 solid years. I realize there are always risks, but after 10 years I know of quite a few "people" myself, but I respect and realize what your saying 500Pilot . Funny thing is I'm not the only one in this board who has made such a BOLD statement about RLC, but I'll let those guys explain their feelings. To me there is one thing to be said about one who forms opinions based on the color of the equiptment, towns the bases are located in or someone in the chain of command. There is another thing to be said about someone who has as many facts as he can gather and makes a EDUCATED decision on what or who would be right for the path that he chooses for his life and career, But I believe I stated somthing close to that eairler. I believe any job as a helicopter pilot is a good job, some better than others.That even is subject to some opinion and is all relative. We send students go to the Gulf all the time and quite a few have gone to RLC, I even know they love there jobs. RLC isn't for me and maybe I'm not for them, but they offer jobs to pilots.

Please guys lighten up, a forum represents one persons opinion. That opinion can be formed in any way educated or uneducated. There will ALWAYS be some company or person that flys 206's, it is a proven airframe. If 500pilot and helonorth would have read the entire entry and not just the part they put in quotes, they would realize that I was talking about modernization in the GOM, not bashing an airframe. More and more GOM companies are doing what they can to replace the aging tech of the 206. Thats not my opion thats fact. Eurocopter is leading the market, again thats fact. Who knows in 5 years you could see a Robinson R-66 flying to rigs, as 500Pilot said you should get experience in multiple rotor systems, it all depends on your desires and dreams after the Gulf. In 2003 when I told the President and Director of maintenance of a Large GOM operater they should operate EC-135's in the Gulf, I was almost laughed out the door, and given various reasons why it would never work or be effective. Now almost all the operators have EC-135's and some contracts require them.

500Pilot your absolutely right about the A-Star, and thrown in with that should be the Twin Star and the EC-130 (Eco Star), all of which utilize the starflex system, and though a diffrent system, generally has the same characteristics as a fully articulated rotor system.

Helonorth I'm flattered that you were so taken by my quotes, the truthful side of things are that I have worked on many a 206, some of which I'm positive have gone to RLC. IN MY OPINION there is somthing to be said about a company that doesnt have iniciative to paint their helicopters a uniform color or design, but you never addressed that. I think it's a good thing when you get in a helicopter and it proudly displays the colors of the company you fly for, but then again it's just a name. Company's spend MILLIONS on that proud name.

P.S. Helinorth if you would like a resume and refrences to all the helicopters I've flown, I will be more than happy to provide that in an email or PM. The R-22 is 1 of 11.

Helinorth, here is not the place to dispute my flight log and what I've done...

I think the original question was which GOM operator is of choice and why, not What are HeliMott's qualifications... Back and forth arguments about silly things like, who do I think is my favorite in the GOM is DUMB. So for those with ADD and those like HeliNorth

1. PHI

2.Era

3. Air Logistics

- Evergreen

1,000+ RLC

RLC isnt for me, maybe I'm not for them

"I think Air Log would be my first choice, and Era next. From what I hear from folks I know and trust, PHI is a zoo after the strike, and I wouldn't even consider RL"

Did anyone else see that Gomer Pylot wrote that?