College Degrees...

SHLove

I remember a while ago reading a thread on college degrees within the helicopter industry but I can't for the life of me seem to find it again, so I figured I'd start a new thread asking the question in mind.

Does a college degree as a helicopter pilot mean a lot? For instance, if I become a pilot without a degree will it be tough for me to find a company that will hire me even if I built up hours?

My reason asking is because Flight School alone is going to cost me an arm and a leg, I will have no money left for college. Also, by the time I build up hours instructing I will be paying off loans/finances so it would be a good amount of time before I will get the chance to go back to school and get an Associates degree or a Bachelors degree. I would hate to pay for flight school, invest hours instructing, then not get a decent flying job because I didn't have any college degree.

All input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You'll still get hired, but with more and more people getting degrees, it will get more competitive. When the time comes that dream job might go to another applicant with a degree.... but you'll still be employable for sure, just maybe not where you want...

This topic comes up every now and again.

The question is asked and it generally runs as follows:

The ones without college degrees will tell you that they are not required. The job will go to the best pilot.

The ones with degrees will tell you about the same, but will add the fact that give a choice of two 'best' pilots, the job will go to the one with the degree.

The ones with degrees will also point out that a degree is at least an extra string to your bow - should things go wrong and you have to stop flying for some reason. A degree is also a testament that you have set a goal and acheived it in the past, through focus and discipline. An employer might like that.

The ones without degrees will then tell of old Bill, their mate who is the best 10000 hr pilot, has longlined in deepest Africa, flown to the furthest rigs, and rescued yachts in hurricanes - and he didn't have a degree.

So that's really the thread summed up. As you might see, I personally think a degree is good. I know a friend who is now going back to study. His reason - after flying for 15 years he wants to get into the managerial side of aviation. Food for thought.

Joker

Thanks to both of you. I actually had found the thread I was searching for last night, but my thread didn't show up after I posted it so I couldn't edit it to let you all know in time. Sorry about that.

Thanks for the advice. I just figure initially I'll do flight school and skip college, then when I have all my loans payed off or I have enough for college (whenever that may be) I'll go and earn a degree. If something happened and I lost my medical I would deffinately go back to college and earn a degree. Good to know that I wont need one initially though.

Thanks for the advice and inputs.

Here is a New Degree program at our community college. We now can offer a Bachelors in Aviation Operation Management.

Bellpilot

AVIATION PARTNERSHIP FORMED

KLAMATH FALLS, Ore. – Oregon Institute of Technology has entered into a unique aviation partnership with Central Oregon Community College in Bend, Ore. COCC has blended their two-year aviation degree with fixed-wing (airplane) pilot training offered by Professional Air, and rotary-wing (helicopter) pilot training offered by Leading Edge Aviation, both located at the Bend Municipal Airport.

With the addition of OIT to this partnership, participating students have the option to graduate with a bachelor’s degree in Operations Management from OIT in addition to an associate degree in Aviation Science from COCC. Students will be able to complete the associate degree, professional pilot licensure/certification and bachelor’s degree on the COCC campus in Bend and at the Bend Municipal Airport.

Students may choose from the following Federal Aviation Administration airplane or helicopter certificates:

· Private Pilot; Airplane single and multiengine land, airplane single sea, and/or rotorcraft-helicopter

· Commercial Pilot; Airplane single and multiengine land, airplane single sea, and/or rotorcraft-helicopter

· Instrument Rating; airplane and/or helicopter

· Certified Flight Instructor (CFI); airplane and/or helicopter

· Certified Flight Instrument Instructor (CFII); airplane and/or helicopter

Flight simulator training is conducted using “glass cockpit” technologies which offer easily readable graphical views of key flight indicators such as altitude display and mach speed. FAA approved flight simulators are also used in training.

Graduates of the Operations Management bachelor’s degree program are fully prepared for a career in aviation, including the airlines and helicopter operations in areas such as fire fighting and oil exploration.

Contact John O. Miller, aviation program director at COCC, for more information about the AAS/AS degree at COCC by telephone at 541-318-3736 or e-mail jomiller@cocc.edu. For more information about COCC, visit www.cocc.edu.

Contact Ralph Gibbs, assistant professor of management at OIT, or Charlie Jones, professor of management at OIT, for more information about the bachelor’s degree in Operations Management. Gibbs may be contacted by telephone at 541-725-5929 or via e-mail ralph.gibbs@oit.edu. Jones may be reached by telephone at 541-885-1377 or via e-mail at charlie.jones@oit.edu. For more information about OIT, visit www.oit.edu.

There are more and more schools offering joint degree programs with online colleges, or local colleges. You can get financial aid for these courses, however it won't cover much more than the actual college courses, you will still have to dive into debt for the flying part. If I was in a position where I did not have to work I would consider enrolling in an online school that is associated with my flight school. However since I have to work full time and train as much as I can, there absolutely is NOT enough extra time for a college degree program. Something extra to have, but don't plan to fly, work full time, and also complete a degree.

I tried to keep going on my Masters program at Embry Riddle while I was doing my private and found I was not doing either of them as well as I should have. I'll pick up the masters program again after I finish my CFII.

Jerry

4 year degrees are all that matter if an employer is looking for a degree. Without one you can kiss goodbye to the really good corporate jobs, apart from that, shouldn't matter.

Actually, my advice is to get the degree first. College is definately the best time of your life, you will meet new people and experience so much else, and give you time to find what you really want to do. Degrees open alot of doors in industries other than Helicopters.

I concur with the last post. A degree is always good to have in your pocket, if for no other reason than that you have a means of earning a living while trying to fly (and most jobs don't hinge on keeping a Class II medical like commercial pilot jobs do). Also, I personally think it is easier to take flight lessons later in life (when you are trying to balance your time between family, job, and flying lessons) than it is to go to college (I've done both). Bottom line is if you want it bad enough, you'll make it work. Good luck with whatever you decide!

The ones without degrees will then tell of old Bill, their mate who is the best 10000 hr pilot, has longlined in deepest Africa, flown to the furthest rigs, and rescued yachts in hurricanes - and he didn't have a degree.

Now that was funny. Good one.

A college degree is always useful, unless that degree is in aviation. No one cares about an aviation degree, just that you have one. My advice is to get a degree in something other than aviation so you always have something to fall back on.

A college degree is always useful, unless that degree is in aviation. No one cares about an aviation degree, just that you have one. My advice is to get a degree in something other than aviation so you always have something to fall back on.

I agree Rocky. Also as helicopters get more and more complex, companies will be looking for people with a record of trainability. A college degree shows that. Plus you also are showing future employers you are more than just a pilot. It has the potential of opening up other opportunities in your life.

Just food for thought. Some colleges will allow credit for previous training and experience, so that can reduce some of your time and cost.

excellent thread - i was going to start one if i couldn't find one and i'm glad i did!

my folks are very supportive of my in all that i do.... now, with that said, they don't know about me wanting to go to flight school because they aren't sure as to where this will take me in life - i already have my Bachelor's in Business Management from a top 30 public university, but how does that relate in the airline industry? i'd like to get the best training possible, and, from my other posts about Bristow and MLH, it looks like i'll be getting it no matter which one i choose.... the real question is now what to do after i finish through CFII and begin logging hours for ATP, and beyond....

sometimes the "logical" responses aren't valid; what i mean by that is since it is "logical" that having a BS in Bus. Mgt. and having gone through one of the four nationally accredited flight schools, where would that leave me? would i REALLY be one step up from those who go right into flight school from high school? is the pay higher? are the jobs / job selections better? the only question i can answer myself so far at age 26 is "will i have something to fall back on?" - of course, my degree that's pretty ambiguous unless you live your life like i do, starting your own business and running it better than anyone else could!

excellent thread - i was going to start one if i couldn't find one and i'm glad i did!

my folks are very supportive of my in all that i do.... now, with that said, they don't know about me wanting to go to flight school because they aren't sure as to where this will take me in life - i already have my Bachelor's in Business Management from a top 30 public university, but how does that relate in the airline industry? i'd like to get the best training possible, and, from my other posts about Bristow and MLH, it looks like i'll be getting it no matter which one i choose.... the real question is now what to do after i finish through CFII and begin logging hours for ATP, and beyond....

sometimes the "logical" responses aren't valid; what i mean by that is since it is "logical" that having a BS in Bus. Mgt. and having gone through one of the four nationally accredited flight schools, where would that leave me? would i REALLY be one step up from those who go right into flight school from high school? is the pay higher? are the jobs / job selections better? the only question i can answer myself so far at age 26 is "will i have something to fall back on?" - of course, my degree that's pretty ambiguous unless you live your life like i do, starting your own business and running it better than anyone else could!

I don't know anyone (including myself) that actually works in the career field that their degree is in - but I also know that without a 4 year degree, I would not be doing what I do now. Except for specialized degrees like engineering, accounting, law, medical, etc., I think that having a degree is simply a rite of passage that has the ability to open doors.

You may never use your degree, but that doesn't mean it isn't worthwhile to pursue it.