Life as a helicopter pilot

hoshmaster

I know there has been alot said about quality of life and a day in the life of . . . but i am curious about what percent of respondents would say that flying is their job rather then flying is there life. I want flying to be my job, not my entire life. So I am curious what people think about this. Do you have free time? and when you do are you a zombie from the week long shift or 2 week shift, so that your time off is recovery time? is there a social life outside of flying? as with some aviation jobs you are required to be on call a good majority of the time some rules being no further then 10 minutes from the airport. In this situation how can one have a life outside of flying? and I know the AIDS (Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome) is a part of every pilots vocabulary but hey is it all glooming in the sense of a career and everyone does it just to be up there and experience what only a few can (hover drug). I just am curious to hear from others experience and wisdom. I thank you in advance for your thoughts and opinions, and my blessings go out to the families of those lost yesterday and i wish everyone safe flying.

I know there has been alot said about quality of life and a day in the life of . . . but i am curious about what percent of respondents would say that flying is their job rather then flying is there life. I want flying to be my job, not my entire life. So I am curious what people think about this. Do you have free time? and when you do are you a zombie from the week long shift or 2 week shift, so that your time off is recovery time? is there a social life outside of flying? as with some aviation jobs you are required to be on call a good majority of the time some rules being no further then 10 minutes from the airport. In this situation how can one have a life outside of flying? and I know the AIDS (Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome) is a part of every pilots vocabulary but hey is it all glooming in the sense of a career and everyone does it just to be up there and experience what only a few can (hover drug). I just am curious to hear from others experience and wisdom. I thank you in advance for your thoughts and opinions, and my blessings go out to the families of those lost yesterday and i wish everyone safe flying.

It's more than a "job", it's a profession. You could look at it as a "only a job", if that's what you want, and that's fine- just do it honestly and well.

Yes, you can have a life besides the work. that's a real advantage of many pilot jobs- in order to keep the equipment working all the time, the work is generally divided between many crews, and the work's scheduled ahead of time, 7&7, 14&14, whatever it takes to do the job. Expect to live up to whatever you agree to, and hope your employer does the same, and get it all in writing (Good luck with that, that last is exactly why some employers don't like unions- if it's documented you can't change the agreement unilaterally).

I've never carried a beeper off duty. Any extra work I do is voluntary. I am subject to an involuntary call in for duty, but we're union and have a contract with mutually agreed restrictions on the practice.

Divorce does seem more common in the pilot population, not just helo drivers. The work can require a lot of time away from home. It takes a special person to put up with that. The ability to deal with has to work both ways, traveling pilot and the partner not accompanying the pilot to vacation paradises like Intracoastal City, Louisiana. There is a perception of danger, too, and some people find it hard to watch you walk out the door, time after time, and wonder if this is the time you're not coming back.

In my opinion anyone who looks at this profession as just another job is an accident waiting to happen. Helicopters have a low tolerance for apathy, if you don't care you're gonna get hurt. That being said, when you aren't flying, you don't have to think about it. Take your time off and have fun. 14 day hitches when I was in the GOM, 1 day to drive home after the hitch, a good nights sleep, and I was good for my time off.

In my opinion anyone who looks at this profession as just another job is an accident waiting to happen. Helicopters have a low tolerance for apathy, if you don't care you're gonna get hurt. That being said, when you aren't flying, you don't have to think about it. Take your time off and have fun. 14 day hitches when I was in the GOM, 1 day to drive home after the hitch, a good nights sleep, and I was good for my time off.

Let me rephrase in case you didn't catch my drift - Some days it feels like work (fighting the wind, weather, long lines that don't want to behave, customers bad attitudes etc.) and some days everything just goes perfect. I have nothing but respect for the helicopter I'm flying and the people involved in it's operation - that goes without saying.

Maybe our definitions of 'just another job' are different. When I'm flying, I'm paying attention full time. That's required if you want to survive. But flying helicopters isn't my life, I don't think about it full-time, just when I'm doing it, and I don't take time to recover from it, other than getting some sleep after a night shift. If you get so tied up with flying that you consider yourself a hero or something, that's when I think you have a problem. (You being the generic you, anybody who reads this, not anyone specific).

Im maybe a little different... I dont think Ive ever seen the professional aviation part of my life as a "job"... but more of a vocation, I flew Part 91 commercially (fixed wing/helicopter combined) many years and way back then it started approaching "a job" status...

But I left that position 10 years ago and now fly seasonally, and feels more to me like living a fantasy... especially the kind of flying I do and where I do it...

Have a GREAT DAY!! :D

My later days of flying in the military were much more like a job...tons of short maintenance turns and hover checks, blade adjustments, etc., not to mention all the non-flying desk duties. After retiring I spent about 9 years behind a desk doing govt contracting work (IT related, not flying). Now that I am back in the cockpit, I love my job. During my time off, I really don't think about flying much because the "honey-do" list keeps me too busy (I commute about 2.5 hours for 7/7 shifts). At this point, there is no job I would rather have.

Good luck with your pursuit and I hope you enjoy it and have a successful career.

Im maybe a little different... I dont think Ive ever seen the professional aviation part of my life as a "job"... but more of a vocation, I flew Part 91 commercially (fixed wing/helicopter combined) many years and way back then it started approaching "a job" status...

But I left that position 10 years ago and now fly seasonally, and feels more to me like living a fantasy... especially the kind of flying I do and where I do it...

Have a GREAT DAY!! :D

That is exactlly what I am looking for! I want to get my PPL, I am a photographer and I think it would be a great combination of careers. I don't think I would want to be a full time instructor but be able to fly when I would like too.

I think there are so many different industries that use helicopters that you cannot generalize what it's like to be a helicopter pilot.

Some helicopter pilots work odd schedules and travel a lot, others work 9-5 Mon-Fri and never leave the confines of their city. Some live in remote areas and hover around lifting/hauling stuff while others live and work in big cities and travel back-and-forth from point A to point B. Some wear flightsuits and helmets, some wear a shirt, tie and headset, and some wear jeans and t-shirt. Some fly IFR in 8-person turbine aircraft with autopilot and air conditioning, and others fly VFR in a 2-place piston helicopter. Some do all of the above.

Every experience is different - to some it's a job and to others, it's an adventure. YMMV.

Edited by palmfish

All that was posted is very helpful in the area of what I am was asking, but does anyone have any answers to the questions specifically. Im just curious about one's lifestyle, are you able to enjoy a social life, dating, camping. And does the ware and tear of 14 hr. shifts ware you out so bad that these things take a back seat, or are you up and running once your week or two on is over? Thanks

All that was posted is very helpful in the area of what I am was asking, but does anyone have any answers to the questions specifically. Im just curious about one's lifestyle, are you able to enjoy a social life, dating, camping. And does the ware and tear of 14 hr. shifts ware you out so bad that these things take a back seat, or are you up and running once your week or two on is over? Thanks

Hi

I feel fortunate to have the flying career that I do...honestly!

My flying duty is a M-F 10am to 7pm with two weekends of stand by a month

I can elect to take the other two weekends if I wish as well...at a compensated amount.

As a whole I come home to my family nightly, we enjoy a very normal lifestyle for a R/W family in comparison to many others types of R/W pilots and their families that I know.

There are exceptions here of course!

Big stories often require extended flying duty, and the occasional incident requires a early call in or requirement to stay late...maybe even a odd recall back to the airport to launch again.

I live with my pager & phone, along with my family. I need to be able to respond to a launch request within 30 to 45 mins time from notification when not within my duty hours and within 15 mins within my assigned duty hours.

If I want to take off for a given time frame there are backup pilots that I can coordinate with to ensure that the aircraft will launch and that all involved are happy with the situation at hand.

Trips to the mall, movies and dinners etc. are all the norm for us on a typical basis

all in all ENG flying is very good to us and affords my family and myself a very decent and normal (by non-aviation standards) lifestyle.

Is it the norm amongst the R/W community...no!

It is just one type of flying that can be done among a lot of different types out there, I guess it really just depends upon what kind of flying you want to undertake really!

IMHO these are how I see it some types of flying:

Offshore - will keep you away from one to two weeks a month and flying over open water for extended periods of time (If I wanted that I would have joined the Navy and not the Air Force!)

FireFighting - well plan on a full season away and hopscotching around your region (off-season gonna have to have to think of something to do...there is always Alaska and the Grand Canyon I suppose!)

Lifeflight/EMS - long moments of boredom accentuated by moments of pure satisfaction with this kinda flying (I can only think of the hurry up and wait here though!)

Instruction - Not for me, maybe ok for others and yourself! Unless you have a full and steady schedule the hours are random as is the pay and then there is the simple fact that just about every "new" student is at a point where they are just competent enough to kill you and destroy the aircraft.

ENG/Traffic Watch - A steady gig. with somewhat set hours...a go home nightly lifestyle! You know when and within what areas you are most likely to fly on any given day. Boring to some, loved by others!

Charter/Tour - Pt 135 operations - Taxi and bus drivers come to mind here, not that this is a bad thing..it isn't at all I mean to say that you are flying after all !

There are always other types of flying as well, military, pipeline & wire inspection, heli-ski/board, scheduled carrier operations and others...

In the end it is what you can make of it and yourself, of course!

To be paid to fly, is still the dream come true job for me, and I think for many others as well

There is some food for thought here, best of luck to you with your flying career

Edited by Bell206Pilot

I am enjoying life. My schedule is a rotating 7 on/ 7 off. It sure beats the military where they have you 24/7/365 and you spend more than half a year away from the family. I don't commute so everytime I get off a shift I get to come home and see the wife and kids. Things could be a lot worse.