Medical Training

Hello all,

I am currently a pilot for a regional airline. I have always had a desire to pursue helicopter training and land a job flying in the EMS world. My question is this...I have my paramedic certification, will this inhibit me from being able to enter the industry. I am young, only 23, and probably wouldn't be able to get into the EMS sector until I am at least 30-35, is that enough time to let my paramedic history pass?

Thanks for any help you folks can give!!!!!

Hello all,

I am currently a pilot for a regional airline. I have always had a desire to pursue helicopter training and land a job flying in the EMS world. My question is this...I have my paramedic certification, will this inhibit me from being able to enter the industry. I am young, only 23, and probably wouldn't be able to get into the EMS sector until I am at least 30-35, is that enough time to let my paramedic history pass?

I am a little confused. So, you are a certified paramedic? Meaning then you could go get a job as a paramedic? If I understand that right, then no it won't inhibit you from an EMS job. You are right, it will be a while before you can get an EMS job. As I am sure you know EMS is looking for 2,000-3,000 hours in helicopters for their pilots. They may take you at less with your background but I wouldn't count on it. You could move up faster in the FW side of things and make more money in the end. However, if helicopters is your passion then go for it. Welcome to the forum!!

JD

Hello all,

We've got a few pilots with histories as medics, military and civilian. It's not a factor either way, as long as you're a PILOT and not a pilot/medic. The industry compartmentalizes: I aviate; they medicate- or whatever you call it, period.

As far as the flying goes, your medic training isn't any help and might hurt you if you let medical data become aviation information. My job doesn't change whether the patient's sitting up and joking, enjoying the ride; or spraying people juice and being resuscitated- I have to fly as safely and efficiently as possible, using book procedures and limits; FAA, RFM and company. That said, a good EMS pilot is a good communicator and your medic background help you, you speak the language. But, you're THE pilot, first, last, and always.

Guest rotorflyr84

Theres a lot of FW medical flying opportunities too. Just something to consider. I know that Carolina Medical Center operates two King Air 200's and two Citation Ultras. They seem to have similar duties as an EMS helicopter pilot. I work on the ramp and deal with CMC. They as well as others, always taxi in with patients, doctors, organs, etc...

I'm sure as a FW pilot, you know most of that, but it's also something to consider as well due to your background in aviation.

• 2 months later...
Just to clarify/add...I was told by someone that companies will not hire a pilot if they have medical training because of the chance they may take more risks based on the patient's condition.

Hahahaha!!!! If this is true, I think I may just jump off a cliff. Because I'm undergoing medical training BECAUSE I've spoke to medics that said the pilots NEEDED medical training. From this forum, I've gathered that thats not true. But if I can't get an EMS pilot job because I went and got my EMT training so that I COULD get an EMS pilot job....... life sucks

Because I'm undergoing medical training BECAUSE I've spoke to medics that said the pilots NEEDED medical training.

I think that is your mistake speaking to the medics about the helo pilot jobs. You need to talk to the EMS pilots to get the real scoop and find out each companies policy. Once again I have heard that any EMS or medical training for pilots is a drawback when it comes to the hiring process. They want you to be solely a pilot and get from point A to B safely and be completely independent of the medical procedures or patients condition in the back.

Medics only know about medical stuff. They are, generally speaking, just about as clueless about helicopters as the general public. They obviously learn some basic stuff, but they know nothing about flying, or about pilot employment. I certainly wouldn't ask a pilot about employment as a nurse or medic. They are completely different fields, and the only thing they have in common is that they both are in the aircraft at the same time. They don't know how to do what I do, and I don't know how to do what they do. They're just passengers to me.

Hahahaha!!!! If this is true, I think I may just jump off a cliff. Because I'm undergoing medical training BECAUSE I've spoke to medics that said the pilots NEEDED medical training. From this forum, I've gathered that thats not true. But if I can't get an EMS pilot job because I went and got my EMT training so that I COULD get an EMS pilot job....... life sucks

Don't sweat it. My program has a several pilots with backgrounds of varying amounts of medical experience. It's not a bad thing, as long as you're professional and keep the two disciplines and the responsibilities of each entirely separate. There's a very good reason why the pilot's generally not in the medical loop.