To learn or not to learn (as a carreer choice)

calikid1975

I have been lurking around here for a couple of weeks now reading up on just about everything I can but seems like the questions I have are scattered all throughout various topics and threads. I was hoping by posting my couple of questions here that I might luck out and end up with a bunch of responses in one area, which might help others with the same questions.

To start off I have read that becoming a professional heli pilot is like a small step up from being a truck driver (been there done that) as far as for being away from home alot to follow where the big money is. So here is what I am wondering..

1.) if just looking to make a living and not get rich can one survive off of just being a CFI / CFII

2.) Is it really as hard as it sounds to be able to find something better than CFI/CFII that lets you go home everynight (before you have a bazzzzillion hours of PIC)

3.) What type of jobs are out there that offer the ability to be home regularly even if you have to relocate to their area but still get to go home to your new home..

I am trying to figure all of this out since I would LOVE to learn to fly Helis and eventually fixed wing as well (have done intro flight in a Cesna 172 bout 10 years ago).. And I am at a point where can convince my wife to let me pursue it for a career but not a just because I want to point.. The catch is that she has read over my should about how it is basically a nomadic lifestyle so I am trying to see if there are non-nomadic Heli pilot related careers that will let me keep her happy as well as fullfill my dream of learning to fly !!

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Jeff R

I think we must be in the same boat(truck driving & convincing wife!!!!!!!) You are almost always going to have to instruct unless you can buy your own heli to build up to 1000 hrs. You might be able to find some pipeline work with low hours but good luck. A school in the Houston area allows some of their students/graduates do some of that. There are a few schools in the Dallas area who seem to be always hiring CFIs. Get to 1000 hrs then fly offshore, work 7 on 7 off, build more hours then maybe get lucky to get EMS job. I live near the GOM so an offshore job would be awesome for me, I could drive to any location if I had to and still have off 5 1/2 to 6 days. I think there are some offshore companies who will pay more if you do move close to the heliport and offer better schedule, but don't quote me.

I have been lurking around here for a couple of weeks now reading up on just about everything I can but seems like the questions I have are scattered all throughout various topics and threads. I was hoping by posting my couple of questions here that I might luck out and end up with a bunch of responses in one area, which might help others with the same questions.

To start off I have read that becoming a professional heli pilot is like a small step up from being a truck driver (been there done that) as far as for being away from home alot to follow where the big money is. So here is what I am wondering..

1.) if just looking to make a living and not get rich can one survive off of just being a CFI / CFII

2.) Is it really as hard as it sounds to be able to find something better than CFI/CFII that lets you go home everynight (before you have a bazzzzillion hours of PIC)

3.) What type of jobs are out there that offer the ability to be home regularly even if you have to relocate to their area but still get to go home to your new home..

I am trying to figure all of this out since I would LOVE to learn to fly Helis and eventually fixed wing as well (have done intro flight in a Cesna 172 bout 10 years ago).. And I am at a point where can convince my wife to let me pursue it for a career but not a just because I want to point.. The catch is that she has read over my should about how it is basically a nomadic lifestyle so I am trying to see if there are non-nomadic Heli pilot related careers that will let me keep her happy as well as fullfill my dream of learning to fly !!

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Jeff R

Jeff,

Yes, you can do what you're asking... Here is how it would work...

You train for a year or so, then obtain a CFI job, either where you trained, or somewhere else in the country. Yes you'd have to move, but your family would go with you. Then you do that for another year until you have 1,000 hours or so. Then you move to Las Vegas (with family) and fly tours for a year or two to build up to 2,000 hours. Then you can obtain an EMS job that will have you home every night. That might entail another move, however you could stay there for quite awhile.

Of course you could stay with tours longer, but most people seem to do that job for 2 years then move on.

There are other jobs that are not nomadic, flying ENG (traffic and news), tours in Hawaii (after tours in Vegas), etc.

At the end of the day, count on moving at least twice before you settle down. Your wife has to be onboard with this 100%, or you'll suffer AIDS (Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome).

Fly Safe!

jehh -- this is exactly the type of information I have been looking for especially in one collected spot :) I actually got a little grin from the wife when I was reading it to her this morning.

stmc -- well the truck driving part I actually got out of long haul a few years ago to save my 1st marriage (TDIDS.. truck driving induced divorce syndrome) actually didn't come down with that luckily.. but still ended up with with the first wife coming down with OGIDS (other guy induced divorce syndrome)... was recently just hauling locally till relocated to Oregon from Cali with the current wife to help her parents with their property. So I'll be mainly looking at schooling and CFIing in NW area of Oregon I have been looking at Applebee aviation, Hillsboro Aviation, Sunset, and Precision for options of schooling since they are in the area. I would love to try out the GOM just because I love the hot weather in the summer but I am stuck in OR for at least the next 2 years since wife don't want to leave yet and I don't want to push the issue and find myself paying off a second wife LOL !!!!

Thanks for the info though !!

You and your family will be making huge sacrifices finically, time, and stability/ job security wise. RTC flight training will cost you 55,000 USD. Plan on having to move for your first C.F.I. job IF you are able to get one. You will only be making 15-20 dollars per hour for 12-18 months. Then plan on moving again for your first turbine job think 45-50,000 per year for another 18 months. Than moving again for your next turbine job possibly starting at the same rate you were just making. That is allot of moving, allot of cost, and not much money for the first 5 years or so. You are wise to do the research, and ask the tough questions. It is not an easy road.

Keep the day job and get your Private. This lets you fly a couple times a month and lets the wife get comfortable with the helicopter thing. If you never do anything else you can always say "I'm a helicopter pilot". If your school allows rental after you get your PPL, then you can take the wife up and see if she is interested in letting you continue. All said and done you'll have 10 to 12 thousand in the PPL, but you will have done it at your own pace. At least explore this aspect of your dream.

bossman

Keep the day job and get your Private. This lets you fly a couple times a month and lets the wife get comfortable with the helicopter thing. If you never do anything else you can always say "I'm a helicopter pilot". If your school allows rental after you get your PPL, then you can take the wife up and see if she is interested in letting you continue. All said and done you'll have 10 to 12 thousand in the PPL, but you will have done it at your own pace. At least explore this aspect of your dream.

bossman

Here here Bossman.

He has it correct. Keep your job and fly on your time off. It's not only workable and flexable, but I bet you find less stress and worries as you progress. After all, you're going at your pace, not someone elses'.

Take care

Later

Bossman, I hope to fly one of your birds if I ever get down your way. Especially an Allouette.

Here here Bossman.

He has it correct. Keep your job and fly on your time off. It's not only workable and flexable, but I bet you find less stress and worries as you progress. After all, you're going at your pace, not someone elses'.

Take care

Later

Bossman, I hope to fly one of your birds if I ever get down your way. Especially an Allouette.

Witch,

You'll have to settle for the Huey, 1100, or Jet Ranger. Sold the last Alouette 2 weeks ago. You keep saying you are going to show up someday. Bite the bullet and come see us. Sorry about the thread hi-jack. I'm gone.

bossman

Bossman hit the nail on the head. I picked up my airplane PPL originally, then several years ago migrated to helicopters. Then immediately knew I'd like to do it for a living. Except I have a wife and two kids and a decent job that lets me spend nights and weekends home with them (or lets me be out flying for fun). I miss not having the opportunity to fly for a living but there's something to be said for flying on a nice, clear blue day with no agenda and no pressure and no stress.

Bossman hit the nail on the head. I picked up my airplane PPL originally, then several years ago migrated to helicopters. Then immediately knew I'd like to do it for a living. Except I have a wife and two kids and a decent job that lets me spend nights and weekends home with them (or lets me be out flying for fun). I miss not having the opportunity to fly for a living but there's something to be said for flying on a nice, clear blue day with no agenda and no pressure and no stress.

Exactly what I'm talking about. There's nothing anywhere that says, because you love to fly you have to do it for a living. If I wasn't involved as a business, I know that I'd still fly. Get the PPL and fly when you can. Come hang around the airport, we always have folks crawling on board when we go somewhere. Start your training and get 20 hours in a R22 and then go somewhere and get you 20 more in a Schweizer or a turbine. You do not have to stick with one school from start to finish. Some places might get mad about this approach, but when it's all said and done, it's your money to spend where you want. It may also take you a few extra hours, but what the heck. Make it enjoyable. Get the written out of the way as fast as you can, it'll be one less thing to worry about while you are flying. We don't care if you do your entire training with us or just come get a few hours, we'll still try to teach you all we can. We do it because we love it. We're not here trying to build hours and move on, this is where we live.

bossman

You and your family will be making huge sacrifices finically, time, and stability/ job security wise. RTC flight training will cost you 55,000 USD. Plan on having to move for your first C.F.I. job IF you are able to get one. You will only be making 15-20 dollars per hour for 12-18 months. Then plan on moving again for your first turbine job think 45-50,000 per year for another 18 months. Than moving again for your next turbine job possibly starting at the same rate you were just making. That is allot of moving, allot of cost, and not much money for the first 5 years or so. You are wise to do the research, and ask the tough questions. It is not an easy road.

If up to the sacrifice, a year could be shaved off by going to Helicopter Academy/BoatPix. A move or two and flying around away from home may be required, but then a 1000 hours could be completed in a about a year, give or take a few months. All options are a comprimise. Would be a lot easier for a single individual to go this route.