experimental helos

mattcob

I just wanted to add that I agree that the rotorway could stand for improvement. There are definite issues and limitations that are a valid concern. You have to ask yourself what you want a helicopter for and what you want to use it for. Another question that you have to ask is "how much can I spend on procuring my own helicopter and how much will it cost to keep it flying?"

For some one who wants a helicopter to fly around for fun, in fair weather conditions, and understands the limitations of the rotorway, it is a very cost effective way to get into helicopters. You can do your own maitenance, make modifications, and learn a whole lot about helicopters. If you want a high performance helicopter with high maintenance cost and a greater operational envelope then go ahead and pay at least more than twice as much for a two seat helicopter. You will be paying much more in acquisition cost or if you go used it is much more in maintenance cost.

So, this is why rotorway is able to sell helicopters. It is a real helicopter, even though it has its limitations, and it is much more cost effective to own than any other certified two seat helicopter out there especially when you look at the going rate for R22s and Schweizers now.

southernweyr

Not here to make enemies either. I do think the Rotorway is a great helo when built and flown correctly. It has to be respected though and there are some out there that are unrealistic about it's true capabilities and safety margins. However, if treated correctly, it can be a very rewarding ship to build yourself and fly. It will never be a certified ship in it's safety and performance, but it most certainly is a helicopter.

I think that you have to be as committed to learning about maintaining it as you are to flying it. If not built and maintained properly, it can be death trap. (a can any helo) If built properly, and maintained properly, it can be flown with a fairly good safety margin. Probably better then most exp helos, but not the reliability of certified ship. If you always leave yourself a way out...it autos fairly well for a small ship.

The rotorway is a good fit for someone who really wants to build and is excited about being able to maintain the ship when done. It should be considered by those who are in it for the long haul and get pleasure out of the work they put in to it.

If all you want to do is fly.....then an experimental is not for you.

mattcobb,

Tell us what you think of the Safari. Have you been flying one on a regular basis?

bossman

Bossman- I was just going to change the direction of this thread over to the Safari. I personally know nothing much about it other than it just got certified in Europe somewhere, and it seems to have a heavier lift capacity / power than the 162.

Just like the bell 47 it is modeled after, it is pretty slow though..Anyone here actually fly one ?

Goldy