Recommended reading materials for long line

choppedair

Can anyone recommend some good reading material for a pilot wishing to do some long line training?

I see that some of the small schools advertise programs with a few hours of long line training and 10 hours of ground. This seems a bit unrealistic to me, as I would want more like 10-15 hours of flying to get even a small idea of how things really work. Any how, what type of ground material is covered in a basic course like this, and what reading could I do on my own?

Thanks!

I have never done any external load work, but it seems like it would be like reading about hovering

and expecting it to help you. I think you just have to do it. I think Wagtendonk has a few

paragraphs in "Principles of Helicopter Flight" to give you the basic idea, though.

Edited by helonorth

Choppedair,

What is your goal with external training? Are you trying to get into natural resourse work? The reason I ask is that the checkride to get carded for vertical reference work in either the Forest Service or BLM requires an extensive knowledge of the contract and the IHOG (Interagency Helicopter Operations Guide). You also will be required to demonstrate knowledge and skills in mountain flying techniques. Let me know and I can help focus you on what I was tested on last spring.

If you are just interested in long line information in general, the IHOG also has an appendix that describes the different types of lines used, swivels and also discusses how to set up a cargo load properly (google IHOG, you should be able to access a copy on the NIFC website). As far as the flying goes, the best method to the madness is to go out and do it. I trained in a 205 and my instructor (the chief pilot) rode with me. Be preparred for a humbling experience (unless you are one of those lucky naturals). I was totally exhausted after about .8 of flying. There are some things that you need to think about when long lining such as; settling with power, OGE hover power requirements, your aircraft is now 150' from top to bottom, etc.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Choppedair,

What is your goal with external training? Are you trying to get into natural resourse work? The reason I ask is that the checkride to get carded for vertical reference work in either the Forest Service or BLM requires an extensive knowledge of the contract and the IHOG (Interagency Helicopter Operations Guide). You also will be required to demonstrate knowledge and skills in mountain flying techniques. Let me know and I can help focus you on what I was tested on last spring.

If you are just interested in long line information in general, the IHOG also has an appendix that describes the different types of lines used, swivels and also discusses how to set up a cargo load properly (google IHOG, you should be able to access a copy on the NIFC website). As far as the flying goes, the best method to the madness is to go out and do it. I trained in a 205 and my instructor (the chief pilot) rode with me. Be preparred for a humbling experience (unless you are one of those lucky naturals). I was totally exhausted after about .8 of flying. There are some things that you need to think about when long lining such as; settling with power, OGE hover power requirements, your aircraft is now 150' from top to bottom, etc.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Thanks Bob.

I don't have a specific goal with this at the moment, to be honest. I'm an instructor with about 500 hours, mostly in the r22, and around 80 in the r44. I would just like to expand my knowledge and my skills and go from there ;)

I have talked briefly with someone else who is learning in a 206 about his experience, I think he has 10-15 hours of VR work now. It will be a little while before I would start doing any actual VR work (flight instructor pay you know), but I would like to read what I can, or hear about experiences about learning.

I know reading about long line will do nothing to actually help me, but more about what to expect, and/or how it is taught. I would assume it's still mostly one of those things that you can't so much "teach" someone, but you just have to do it.

Thanks for any insight, I'll look up IHOG.

Edited by choppedair

• 1 month later...

I did a short Vertical Reference introduction course and it involved precision hovering, reading/learning about the FAA requirements and load classes as well as putting a bucket filled with concrete on a 50' line, then 75' line then 150' line onto different parts of a grid that basically had three concentric circles inside of each other, four dots around the edge of the outside circle and an X in the middle. It was cool because I started with the big circle and worked my way up to the X and the dots. This also involved ways of sighting the spot, how to read the wind while staring at the ground and attaching the load as well as emergency detaching procedures, etc.

Then we tried "flying the load" around, coming to a hover over the spot and quickly setting it down in a precise location.

It was an eye opener, very difficult but VERY fun! (The instructor often asked if I was mad enough to start "punching babies" as he put it)

• 1 month later...

There is a couple of good articles I found sometimes ago.

Pacific Rotors : External loading by Bill Reid

Pacific Rotors : So you want to be a long line pilot by Ken Armstrong

Heli Ops : Danger learner in charge july 2002

Pacific Rotors : Height velocity by Kenneth Armstrong

Helicopters magazine 1999 :Learning the line by Dennis Venturi

Hope you'll be able to find them and to read them. They give a good start up idea of the job. Happy landings.