The God Machine and Flingwing

All-

Since it hasn't been brought up yet - to my knowledge - I have to highly recommend The God Machine by James R. Chiles, especially for those who have been asking or craving a new book to read (www.thegodmachine.us). It is well suited for zero-time students through the old-veteren 30,000+ hour sages as well...heck, it features both and many great sticks who are somewhere in-between, including civvies and MILs. It's a very well organized perspective coupled with excellent historical information and includes many featured pilots who provide personal accounts and reflections - many names that I am intimately familiar with (and for those of us in SoCal), and would expect to be the case for others here in the VR universe (as it includes some VR folks too). I'm not going to further ruin a great surprise, but as the topic title does suggest, it features Flingwing, and IMHO, goes a great distance to further credit his life and memory.

Mr. Chiles, if you are reading this, three thumbs up, and a "SALUTI!" to go with it too - excellent work. And thanks for always keeping a wing over us Fling....

-WATCH FOR THE WIRES-

p.s. - for the instrument people, you might want to consider reviewing and possibly purchasing a copy of the Skyhorse Publishing Instrument Procedures Handbook (IPH)...a nice update that should displace the previous version of FAA-H-8261. Don't be scared by the Citation Sovereign or the shot with 2 yokes which adorn the cover...aside from the expected instrument 'stuff', it does have a chapter exclusive to helicopter instrument procedures that are current. They also appear to have some other related & updated FAA reference books too.

I'm actually reading this book right now, I got it for a christmas present. I'm not real far into it, maybe 5 chapters or so, but so far its good. I'll keep an eye out for references to Fling, and I'll report back after I've read a little more into it.

I'm actually reading this book right now, I got it for a christmas present. I'm not real far into it, maybe 5 chapters or so, but so far its good. I'll keep an eye out for references to Fling, and I'll report back after I've read a little more into it.

AngelFire-

If you read through "Preflight", you read a bit about the author's experience with an instructor (John Lancaster)...that was Fling. He's mentioned once more later in the book again. I won't say I knew Flingwing personally - just the on-line exchanges - but as we know, he was quite a figure here and is sorely missed.

-WATCH FOR THE WIRES-

AngelFire-

If you read through "Preflight", you read a bit about the author's experience with an instructor (John Lancaster)...that was Fling. He's mentioned once more later in the book again. I won't say I knew Flingwing personally - just the on-line exchanges - but as we know, he was quite a figure here and is sorely missed.

-WATCH FOR THE WIRES-

You know, funny how that works. I thought that name sounded familiar and never put two and two together. Thanks for the point out.