What should I do?

adam32

As some of you know I've been looking to buy a helicopter. The Hiller I was looking at just had a price reduction and it is now very appealing. It is a 12C Turbo. I have also been in contact with Sky about the SSH r22's and they have a few that are to my liking as well. They will be used for flight instruction, rides, and photo flights. Resale is also a key issue with me. I know the Hiller might be hard to unload, but do you think the market will be so flooded with r22's that it would also be hard to sell?

Thanks

Hiller- bit underpowered, cheaper to buy, biggo bucks to maintain with some surprises.

If you really like the Hiller, go to the San Carlos airshow and talk to some of the Hiller pilots there.

Robbie- more bucks, more "known" stable maintenance costs, resale value will hold a year or two from now but more weight limitations than the Hiller for sure.

Boils down to what you want to own and fly.

If you are going to use it for flight instruction you should also consider what your students will want to learn in.

I hear what your saying, but if they are anything like me they are going to want to stay far away from r22's. :)

The thing is they would only be able to go up to Commercial with me and then go somewhere else for their IFR, CFII anyway, so they would still get some r22, r44, or 300 time and that should help with employment for their CFI jobs.

Does anyone have a parts price sheet for the r22?

Does anyone have a parts price sheet for the r22?

Just go to Robinson's website /public. There is a list of parts and prices there. I would send you a direct link, but I just had 3 beers and feeling kinda lazy !

Goldy

Stay away from the Hiller, I tried to run a flightschool a few years ago with one. There is always something wrong, spend a fortune on maintenance and lost a lot of money because of the down time. I also had students owning their own Hillers, same story. The only good thing about them is the high-inertia rotor system, which makes full-downs a breeze. You'll need it, I had three engine failures in them. Furthermore, power-loss due to failing magneto, tail-rotor failure, cracking blade (just got on the ground in time)

The only way to run a flightschool is with a modern machine. R-22, R44 (the best) or Schweizer 300Cbi. Don't even look at old Hughes/Schweizers because they are also very expensive to run.

The best piston is definitely the R-44

Just go to Robinson's website /public. There is a list of parts and prices there. I would send you a direct link, but I just had 3 beers and feeling kinda lazy !

Goldy

Found it, thanks Goldy. They kinda had it hidden, and its a pain to find stuff on.

Stay away from the Hiller, I tried to run a flightschool a few years ago with one. There is always something wrong, spend a fortune on maintenance and lost a lot of money because of the down time. I also had students owning their own Hillers, same story. The only good thing about them is the high-inertia rotor system, which makes full-downs a breeze. You'll need it, I had three engine failures in them. Furthermore, power-loss due to failing magneto, tail-rotor failure, cracking blade (just got on the ground in time)

The only way to run a flightschool is with a modern machine. R-22, R44 (the best) or Schweizer 300Cbi. Don't even look at old Hughes/Schweizers because they are also very expensive to run.

The best piston is definitely the R-44

Thanks Wesp, that seems to be the consensus on the older Hillers or any of the old ships for that matter. I had actually just found a 269A for a decent price, but the blades only have a little over 300hrs left and they are pretty pricey.

I've known in the back of my mind that the R22 is the most economical out of them all, but I just don't really like them all that much. But it looks like it will be the best bet for me.

The R44 is a nice ship, but they are out of my price range.

I've known in the back of my mind that the R22 is the most economical out of them all, but I just don't really like them all that much. But it looks like it will be the best bet for me.

I don't really like them either, too light for me...and I own one. Thats why most CFI's can't wait to get into something else (like an R44) as soon as they can. Few hundred hours in a 22 is plenty...especially for big guys.

Goldy