Outside Magazine

I dont know if any of you have seen it, but I recently got the new Outside magazine (the one with Anderson Cooper on the front) and it has a section with the "fifty best jobs". Yup you guessed it, a helicopter pilot is one of those jobs. I just thought it was interesting. The article goes on to say that by the year 2030, helicopters in operation is expected to double to 18,800.

Being a chopper pilot is a great job. Although you'll never get rich doing it, you have to do what makes you happy. Life is too short to muddle through a job/career you really don't enjoy.

I agree, but I also know plenty of people who have made plenty of money doing what we do. Too many people in this industry are just happy flying, they don't continually seek to better their situation by exploring options available to them. EMS is a perfect example. While there are some programs out there that pay well, the majority pay just enough to keep their pilots slightly disgruntled. Too many people accept the salaries they get due to doing the job within our industry that they really want to do. It's pretty sad considering the amount of training and responsibility we have.

I agree, but I also know plenty of people who have made plenty of money doing what we do. Too many people in this industry are just happy flying, they don't continually seek to better their situation by exploring options available to them. EMS is a perfect example. While there are some programs out there that pay well, the majority pay just enough to keep their pilots slightly disgruntled. Too many people accept the salaries they get due to doing the job within our industry that they really want to do. It's pretty sad considering the amount of training and responsibility we have.

at lest your only disgruntled. my current field is keeping many of its employees slightly hungry.

Salaries are catching up now though. It will be a few more years but things have gotten much better than what they were. I left a job in January due to low pay. I went broke working there. I hope they get the idea and pay their future pilots more.

JD