SFAR 73 Awareness Training

As a new CFI I have been using what I was given for the Awareness Training but I want to improve on it. What information do you give for this?

(i) Energy management;

(ii) Mast bumping;

(iii) Low rotor RPM (blade stall);

(iv) Low G hazards; and

(v) Rotor RPM decay.

As a new CFI I have been using what I was given for the Awareness Training but I want to improve on it. What information do you give for this?

(i) Energy management;

(ii) Mast bumping;

(iii) Low rotor RPM (blade stall);

(iv) Low G hazards; and

(v) Rotor RPM decay.

I'm just starting my CFI training, and this is one of the things I've been thinking about. My plan is to revisit these topics at every opportunity throughout a student's training.

My official awareness training was when I did my demo flight, and I can't say that I was mentally prepared for receiving that information then. I don't think there's much that can be done to change that, but to make it stick, I think it needs to be brought up frequently, and occasionally, formally (surprised it didn't come up during checkrides...). Reviewing the safety notices is a good opportunity to formally revisit the SFAR topics--do that sometime close to the student's first solo flight, and they'll get it during the Robbie course. Mast bumping can be raised informally when reviewing helicopter systems by pointing out the droops stops, and my instructor has taken encounters with wind shear and turbulence to reinforce that and low G conditions. I dunno, as I'm writing this, I can see more and more how these topics fit into many of the ground lessons we do...I think for students to really get it, they need have these topics frequently raised, and then have a couple of sit-downs where the Awareness Training is completely reviewed.

--chris

One thing that helped me as I am going through my CFI training is rewatching the Robinson awareness training video. When I first saw it at the beginning of my private training it was hard to correlate since I didn't have any flight experience yet apart from a few demo flights. Now after having seen it several times as well as what I've learned at the safety course I am able to put this issues into better perspective and gain a better understanding.

I ordered the Awareness Training DVD kit from Robinson today so I would have my own copy, its $45 with shipping. I'm doing a quick training session for new students complying with SFAR 73, doing a complete training session using the DVD sometime before they solo, and then keep bringing it up throughout their training.

• 1 year later...

I'd like to revisit this topic.

I am currrently going thru my lesson plans, and redoing everything. Anyone have a simple cheat sheet or checklist for giving the SFAR 73 awareness training? Both for new students and for demo rides (where they can manipulate controls).

Just trying to come up with something thorough, but simple. Ideally I want to come up with a basic checklist, which includes a short, simple explaination of each item.

I have one that you can use, I'll send it to you when I get home.

Jerry

I got sick and forgot to send it, now I'm back at work and have to wait until I get home again.

Edited by IFLYEVERYTHING

New rides, where they may take controls....done on the ground prior to start -

-Please don't touch anything red....clutch, mixture, master batt.

-There is the tach (point to it), we like the needles in the green. Please don't manipulate the throttle as it is electronically controlled. Keep a looooose grip on the collective.

-Here is how you hold the cyclic, try to rest you arm on your leg and make finger tip inputs (demonstrate). Never push forward like...(demonstate)

-Here is how we hand over controls, 3 step. (demonstrate) Please don't just let go.

-Here is the carb heat, I may ask you to pull on or push off. (demonstrate)

* Pretty much it for an initial flight, depending on the person. I will demonstrate how the controls work in flight and how we use cyclic to maintain attitude. Most often I will just hold a constant power setting while they mess around with straight and level and turns. Usually is enough for first timer. Always try to finish with a quick try at hovering. Again cyclic only while I maintain a constant heading. Enjoy the ride!

New rides, where they may take controls....done on the ground prior to start -

-Please don't touch anything red....clutch, mixture, master batt.

-There is the tach (point to it), we like the needles in the green. Please don't manipulate the throttle as it is electronically controlled. Keep a looooose grip on the collective.

-Here is how you hold the cyclic, try to rest you arm on your leg and make finger tip inputs (demonstrate). Never push forward like...(demonstate)

-Here is how we hand over controls, 3 step. (demonstrate) Please don't just let go.

-Here is the carb heat, I may ask you to pull on or push off. (demonstrate)

So what happens when your new/potential student pulls your mixture instead of your carb heat.

Edited by brettjeepski

I'm pretty sure that's when I'd be experiencing my first mid-air cardiac arrest!

What Frank didn't put in the emergency procedures is to first restart your HEART before you restart the engine.

then...

"perform normal power on landing, the proceed to strangle your student".

Haha. I'd just be screaming like a little girl the whole way down. Then strangle my student....

I'm pretty sure that's when I'd be experiencing my first mid-air cardiac arrest!

What Frank didn't put in the emergency procedures is to first restart your HEART before you restart the engine.

then...

"perform normal power on landing, the proceed to strangle your student".

• 3 years later...