Instrument training in the R22 or the Scheiwzer?

I currently have an F.A.A PPL with about 85 R22 TT hours of which 12 are PIC. I will start training for the ins, com, cfi and cfii with Bristow in a few months in that order to reduce the overall training costs. I was advised by my former instructor that the R22 is better for instrument training than the Scheiwzer however would a split of 100 hours in the Scheiwzer and 100 in the R22 give me a greater scope for finding Instructor work after I graduate. If I gained my instrument rating in the Scheiwzer would that be to my detriment when applying for R22 instructor positions? If anyone can provide advice on the best way for me to proceed I would be very grateful.

I currently have an F.A.A PPL with about 85 R22 TT hours of which 12 are PIC. I will start training for the ins, com, cfi and cfii with Bristow in a few months in that order to reduce the overall training costs. I was advised by my former instructor that the R22 is better for instrument training than the Scheiwzer however would a split of 100 hours in the Scheiwzer and 100 in the R22 give me a greater scope for finding Instructor work after I graduate. If I gained my instrument rating in the Scheiwzer would that be to my detriment when applying for R22 instructor positions? If anyone can provide advice on the best way for me to proceed I would be very grateful.

Personally, I thought the 300 was a better instrument platform than the 22. As for finding an instructor job, as long as you meet SFAR 73, you shouldn't have too many issues. It is my opinion that any school that uses the 300 would like to see some commercial or CFI training in the 300. But also the 22 schools would want to see you get your CFI in the 22. Becareful the 300 will spoil you. It flys almost as nice as the Enstrom and the Bell 47.

Personally, I thought the 300 was a better instrument platform than the 22. As for finding an instructor job, as long as you meet SFAR 73, you shouldn't have too many issues. It is my opinion that any school that uses the 300 would like to see some commercial or CFI training in the 300. But also the 22 schools would want to see you get your CFI in the 22. Be careful the 300 will spoil you. It flys almost as nice as the Enstrom and the Bell 47.

Sorry, but I have to ask how you have 85 hours but only 12 PIC? I personally would favor the 300 for the IR as it is a more stable aircraft, closer to flying the R44 which most Robbie schools are moving to now. As Rick stated, as long as you can meet SFAR, you are good. Good Luck with the training!

Thank you rick1128 and NorCalHeliKid for your advice.

NorCalHeliKid, I was training for my private license so was therefore second in command for the majority of hours flown during the private licence training. I finished the private licence in 73 hours and did about 12 hours of hour building afterwards which obviously counts as P.I.C time.

Based on your suggestions it sounds like it would be wise to consider training in the Schewizer for the Instrument course and then revert back to the R22 for the remainder. I will be completing the Instrument course before the commerical course and don't want to exceed 200 hours in total for the whole training.

Did you find it a little confusing/difficult switching types during your training?

Rick1128 and NorCalHeliKid thank you very much for your advice.

NorCalHeliKid about 75 hours of the 85 were spent in the R22 whilst training for my PPL therefore I was second in command for the majority of those hours.

So based on your advice it sounds like it would be wise to consider training in the Schweizer for the Instrument course and then reverting back to the R22 for the remainder of the commerical, CFI and CFII. Do you think it will be fairly easy making the switch between types at this stage?

Thanks.

Rick1128 and NorCalHeliKid thank you very much for your advice.

NorCalHeliKid about 75 hours of the 85 were spent in the R22 whilst training for my PPL therefore I was second in command for the majority of those hours.

So based on your advice it sounds like it would be wise to consider training in the Schweizer for the Instrument course and then reverting back to the R22 for the remainder of the commerical, CFI and CFII. Do you think it will be fairly easy making the switch between types at this stage?

Thanks.

I am going to question the logging of your flight time. As a student pilot you do not log 2nd in command. It is either dual or solo. While solo is in reality PIC time, legally, you are under the supervision of a CFI, so you need to log it as solo. After your Private checkride you can log PIC officially, but under Part 141 training you will need to log solo time.

As for switching over to the 300, it will spoil you. Much easier to fly and much more forgiving. About the only problem you will have is working the throttle, since robbo pilots don't really know what that is.

I've taken close to a year out from training and haven't looked at my log book since so apologise for writing that I had second in command time as this was inaccurate assumption on my part. I'm confident that my instructor would have told me to log the PPL time as dual time if this is the correct procedure and will check my log book when I get home.

Thanks for the pointers rick1128.

Not to divert the thread too much, but if you can't log solo as PIC, then how do you get the 10 hours PIC required for your PPL?

As for the OP: If you aim to get a job, fly in whichever ship your school uses. If you have a mixed bag of 300 and -22 time, that can't hurt too much, except for strictly R-22 schools. Some insurance policies require x amount of hours in Robinson ships before they'll cover you as an employee. I'm sure someone else can cover the specifics.

About the only problem you will have is working the throttle, since robbo pilots don't really know what that is.

Hey now, not every Robbie pilot learned with a governor ! They did actually MAKE R22's back in the day without one you know !!

I feel like Grandpa...well back in my day, R22's didnt have no damn governors! Yeah, and the blades were lighter, and the engines less hp, and we practiced low g manuevering....oh yeah, we NEVER used carb heat either. Damn I miss those old Alpha and HP models !

Steven- you probably have around 35 hours of PIC....but whatever.

The 300 is much more stable than the 22, probably a better instrument trainer. There are not a lot of the old 22 instrument ships around anymore....and the ones out there are very nose heavy with the gyros...if you are close to max like I am, you are on the edge of forward CG when flying (makes you go faster....you just cant stop)

Goldy

Edited by Goldy