Why helicopters?

For you accomplished pilots out there, what is it about helicopters that has you hooked on flying them? Have you ever flown fixed wing? If so, why did you go rotary? What are your plans in the long term as far as employment as a pilot (or not)?

As far as your training went, what was your favorite part? Least favorite? Thanks for your replies.

Have flown and fly both.

Fly helicopters cause I wanted to be different. Also wanted to make a difference and so flying EMS is what my goal is. In the mean time I have done, Oil Support, Photo/video, charters, tours and more. Just all part of the road to get where I want to be.

JD

Thanks for your replies, I'm 26 years old with one more year of college left and I'm starting to think that I should start pursuing a helicopter career instead of fixed wing, preferably after I finish school. It looks like a very exciting line of work, I've got a year to think about it. Probably going to start getting a WOFT packet together, can't hurt to try. Thanks again.

For you accomplished pilots out there, what is it about helicopters that has you hooked on flying them? Have you ever flown fixed wing? If so, why did you go rotary? What are your plans in the long term as far as employment as a pilot (or not)?

As far as your training went, what was your favorite part? Least favorite? Thanks for your replies.

"To err is human, to hover is divine".

If you've ever seen an airplane hover it was just before it crashed. I have flown both airplanes and helos and am hooked on the rotary wing. You can't put an airplane down without a several 1000 ft runway, but a helo just needs about a 100ft X 100ft clear area depending on size of the helo. I'll never go back to the dark side.

I fly them both.

If you are taking your family somewhere, an airplane is best. It is [usually] less noisey and will get you there quicker.

For just the joy of flying, a helicopter is best. You fly lower to the ground and are less inhibited by FARs and aerodynamics. There is nothing like being at a busy airport with fixed wing waiting for the runway, when ground control tells you to switch to tower and expect takeoff from present position. Landing in confined areas or on the back of a ship is a blast.

I flew active duty Navy, I fly in the National Guard now and instruct in fixed wing aircraft at a local flight school. I fly part time and make money as a software developer. I may switch to a full time flying job if the right one comes along.

I loved all aspects of my flight training. I like instructing too. Regardless of what you fly, there is nothing like being up behind the controls of an aircraft and thinking, "Wow, I am getting paid to do this."

Fly both. As stated above, an airplane is for long cross country trips.

Biggest reason I haven't flown a FW much in the last 10 years...they are kinda boring once you fly a helo. There is nothing like a helo!

Future? More helicopter flying...

Training? A ton of fun!

Thanks to all for the replies. I've got some time to think about it as a career, going to graduate college and I've had my ppl since 2001, and am prior service. I've heard that the fixed wing market is tight right now. How about the rotor industry?

I fly helicopters because that's what Uncle Sam put me in. Fixed-wing is where the money is, and has more stability.

I am not sure. I tend to think helicopter careers are a little more stable. In the airline biz you can get furloughed. Then wait to get back on and in the mean time what do you do. Also, perhaps in the end you will make more but those poor regional pilots and SIC guys starting in the majors don't make much. If you are not with a major and with them 18 years you won't be making over $100,000/yr. More like $70,000/yr.

Analogy: Airplanes = automobiles; helicopters = motorcycles. Airplanes are good for travel and turning the world upside down, but have trouble with the vertical into, and especially- out of a remote LZ. Helos can be agonizing after a couple hours cross-country...

The job market historically favored fixed wings for potential number of jobs and potential max compensation. Those potentials are still accurate, although there are signs that the mega-buck airline captain job was, and may still be disappearing.

Some specialized helo pilots do quite well, perhaps not as well as senior training captains at flag carrier air lines used to do, but still... For the line pilots outside the specialties, helo starting pay is a little higher, but the the rest seems comparable. Many fewer positions in helos, now and the foreseeable future.

Helos are just more visceral fun, I don't have to wear a tie and stock the bar.

I've seen a ton of helicopter pilots get laid off. Not furloughed, just out of a job. Lots of pilots went to work for Tenneco years ago, and one morning went to work to find out that the helicopters had been sold and they were out of a job. Helicopter operations tend to fold more often than fixed-wing, because they're so expensive. That happens more often than you realize.

With the airlines, you don't have to move every time you change jobs or upgrade, and it's similar, if not quite the same, for other fixed-wing jobs. There are more choices in more places.

All the above, plus maintenance and replacement parts. Mainly the latter two. It takes at least a couple of hours of maintenance for every hour of flight time, if you're doing it right. If not, you'll find out how good your insurance is. All the rotating components are life limited, at least on smaller helicopters, and you have to factor in the cost of replacing them - main and tail rotors, engine(s), and everything else. Eventually that all becomes scrap, and replacing it is tremendously expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

I have my PPL FW that I earned before I went into the Army... Now that I'm flyin' Uncle Sam's Fun Machines... I honestly could give a damn if I never flew another FW machine again... I probably will, just cause I can, but give me a Helo any day.

It's better to STOP then LAND, than have to LAND then STOP....

Helo, make right 360 for landing traffic... NAH, we'll just hover right here, I have landing traffic in sight.... I love throwing contollers off.

CHAD

Thanks Gomer, this next question is for anybody; Is it hard to find work if relocating isn't a problem? I'm assuming coming out of the Army with approx 1000 hrs.

My guess would be that you'd still be at the minimum required. In other words: most pilots already working would trump you on hours, so it might take extra effort in spite of the willingness to relocate. That said, it's never too early to start talking to people. If you have a geographic preference, call/write/visit/email operators in that area, get it from the horse's mouth. You might get an annoyed brushoff, but you might meet a new friend- you didn't get where you are being risk adverse. You'd be surprised what a good impression can do. Same for operator types- offshore, tours, etc., get the data direct- and 'sell' yourself, be positive, polite and professional in all contacts.

Edited by Wally

Thanks for the replies all. Trying to figure out if this is for me, I have time to think and research. Going to get a flight on a Blackhawk at Ft Indiantown Gap (Guard), can't wait! Again, thanks for the input. I have my PPL FW also, pretty funny what FLHooker said...