• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 chris pochari

chris pochari

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:Helicopters, business, geopolitics, rotorcraft technology, investing, real estate, business opportunities
  • Company working for:RSI

Posted 02 May 2018 - 04:31

You are talking about a speedboat, not a ferry, which would make maybe 15knots.

And how many ferry docks would allow you to use them, or permit a helicopter operation near them, when such an operation would take away from their own cruise tours?

No, one of these http://www.allmandbo...rtaxi-638b.html I don't see how this would be any worse than a shuttle van

6_1.jpg

s2.jpg

• TomPPL likes this

#42 chris pochari

chris pochari

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:Helicopters, business, geopolitics, rotorcraft technology, investing, real estate, business opportunities

Posted 02 May 2018 - 04:43

SFOAero_0109.jpg

San_Francisco_Pier30_32_20091203_120912_

it would be great if someone built a heliport/EVTOL port on pier 30-32, only problem is by the time it gets approved we'll all be dead. 

• TomPPL likes this

#43 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts
  • Location:Pluto,...at least until the next election :) ,...damn the wifi here is unbelievable!
  • Interests:Admiring the city lights and coastal sunsets from a thousand feet,...when I have the dough. :)

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺
  • Company working for:Just a happy casual renter! :)

Posted 02 May 2018 - 10:08

http://www.stophelip.../helipads.shtml

San Francisco just isn't a friend to helicopters :(
  • chris pochari likes this
Side boob is just so awesome,...yes it is!

#44 chris pochari

chris pochari

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 13:11

http://www.stophelip.../helipads.shtml

San Francisco just isn't a friend to helicopters :(

I've seen this, It's not just San Francisco, NY has been having a battle about the heliport Downtown. Since you bring up the issue of widespread anti helicopter sentiment, how do you think EVTOL will deal will this problem? They have to build hundreds of new heliports around the country, I can't imagine them being closed off to conventional helicopters.

"Uber sees opportunities to use floating barges for these where rivers, lakes and bay areas are available, but other spots could include the top levels of multi-story carparks, or ground facilities in less populated areas".

#45 Eric Hunt

Eric Hunt

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 14:25

We tried carparks in Sydney, but the owners get a LOT of money from the paying parked cars, and a helipad, plus approach and departure lanes, plus safety buffers, take up the space of over 50 cars. We couldn't afford to pay to keep those spaces open permanently on the off-chance that a customer would want to use that spot.

#46 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts
  • Location:Pluto,...at least until the next election :) ,...damn the wifi here is unbelievable!
  • Interests:Admiring the city lights and coastal sunsets from a thousand feet,...when I have the dough. :)

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺

Posted 02 May 2018 - 14:55

I've seen this, It's not just San Francisco, NY has been having a battle about the heliport Downtown. Since you bring up the issue of widespread anti helicopter sentiment, how do you think EVTOL will deal will this problem? They have to build hundreds of new heliports around the country, I can't imagine them being closed off to conventional helicopters.
 "Uber sees opportunities to use floating barges for these where rivers, lakes and bay areas are available, but other spots could include the top levels of multi-story carparks, or ground facilities in less populated areas".

If they make noise, then they'll most likely suffer the same fate as helicopter commuters. The only way to override the noise complaints is if the operation generates TONS of money, and they can buy someone off!

As for top levels of parking garages? Oakland has one of those (think it still says heliport on the side of the building). I used to park there whenever I'd go to the county recorder, the pad is still there (think it has an "X " on it now) and the elevator still has the "H" for the top button.
  • TomPPL and chris pochari like this

#47 chris pochari

chris pochari

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 16:09

If they make noise, then they'll most likely suffer the same fate as helicopter commuters. The only way to override the noise complaints is if the operation generates TONS of money, and they can buy someone off!

As for top levels of parking garages? Oakland has one of those (think it still says heliport on the side of the building). I used to park there whenever I'd go to the county recorder, the pad is still there (think it has an "X " on it now) and the elevator still has the "H" for the top button.

They do make noise

I think it's absurd to hinder the development/use of rotorcraft just because people are bothered by the noise.

#48 Eric Hunt

Eric Hunt

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 16:28

I think it's absurd to hinder the development/use of rotorcraft just because people are bothered by the noise.

Chris, aren't you still at school? You might think it is absurd, but when you get into the real world, you will find that the NIMBY Syndrome will drive helicopters away even from airports, as has happened here.

"Trailbikes of the sky" and other stupid names for helicopters, and "perceived noise" (I can see a helicopter, therefore it must be noisy) are just 2 of the reasons the NIMBYs will push you away. And these little Ubers with their piddly rotors will scream like a banshee.

• TomPPL likes this

#49 chris pochari

chris pochari

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 17:31

Chris, aren't you still at school? You might think it is absurd, but when you get into the real world, you will find that the NIMBY Syndrome will drive helicopters away even from airports, as has happened here.

"Trailbikes of the sky" and other stupid names for helicopters, and "perceived noise" (I can see a helicopter, therefore it must be noisy) are just 2 of the reasons the NIMBYs will push you away. And these little Ubers with their piddly rotors will scream like a banshee.

I'm sure you're right. will the EVTOL community have to give up on their dreams? The conventional helicopter industry has remained such a niche industry that noise really has not been a big issue except for areas with significant tour activity, mainly NYC. If EVTOLs proliferate I imagine it will become much larger than the current rotorcraft industry. The question is would the public be able to stop it?

• TomPPL likes this

#50 DizzyD

DizzyD

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 18:53

The East Hampton airport is under review for possible closure by town officials driven by the noise complaints created by the sharp spike in rotorcraft activity since BLADE hit the scene. 

https://www.newsday....tion-1.18129371

Sad.

#51 chris pochari

chris pochari

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 19:03

The East Hampton airport is under review for possible closure by town officials driven by the noise complaints created by the sharp spike in rotorcraft activity since BLADE hit the scene. 

https://www.newsday....tion-1.18129371

Sad.

Sad indeed. I think we need to brainstorm to solve this noise issue. Although maybe there isn't any solution. 

• TomPPL likes this

#52 chris pochari

chris pochari

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 03:51

Me thinking the Tri Fan 600 might solve the noise issue. I started a thread about it. 

• TomPPL likes this

#53 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺

Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:16

A thought has occurred,...

Under part 91 tour flights have to takeoff/land from the same airport. If the barge is moving, will it still count?

,...or will you have to market this as photo flights?

By the way, if you promise to never fly over land, you may be able to get around the noise issue?

#54 chris pochari

chris pochari

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 15:09

A thought has occurred,...

Under part 91 tour flights have to takeoff/land from the same airport. If the barge is moving, will it still count?

,...or will you have to market this as photo flights?

By the way, if you promise to never fly over land, you may be able to get around the noise issue?

You're right part 91 rules would be problematic operating on a vessel. 

#55 Jaybee

Jaybee

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 10:48

No, one of these http://www.allmandbo...rtaxi-638b.html I don't see how this would be any worse than a shuttle van

6_1.jpg

s2.jpg

Transferring passengers in even just 1ft seas can be problematic. You will need a good gang plank system. As said earlier, at some point some where you need to touch land and that is where the trouble begins. Other than all the Government Political BS flying off the barge was awesome.

• TomPPL and chris pochari like this
"In flying I have learned that carelessness and overconfidence are usually far more dangerous than deliberately accepted risks." — Wilbur Wright in a letter to his father, September 1900. 

"The foot rests have a profound impact on the outcome of today's flight ending safely" - My flight instructor.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: water, sea, landing, r44, floats, clipper, amphibian, waterlanding, anchor, boat

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

NFCVRGeneral200MaunaLoaSoftwareVRGeneral200BE_VRGen200Genesys VRForum200_GeneralLORD_VRFTForum200HeliHelmetsAMTC - GeneralSpectrum_VRGeneral468PrecisionVRForumGeneral200