Air Med Helicopter down

Augusta, GA -- WJBF-TV News Channel 6 has received word that an Air Med helicopter has crashed at Doctors Hopsital.

There is apparently no injuries to the pilot, who was the only person on board.

According to a Doctors Hospital spokesperson, the helicopter lost power in both of its engines, causing the chopper to straddle a fence just short of the landing pad.

A crane is on the scene to move the helicopter off of the fence.

We have a crew on the scene. We will have more information as it becomes available

and

July 11, 2008

AUGUSTA, Ga.---An AirMed helicopter based at Doctors Hospital was forced to return for a landing Friday morning.

AirMed Director of Operations Todd Hatfield said the crew had just taken off for a call to pick up a burn patient. A pilot, paramedic and nurse were onboard.

Hatfield said, "As they departed, they got to 50 feet in the air and the pilot realized the engines were losing power. He needed to make a 180 degree turn and didn't quite make it."

The aircraft landed on a chain link fence. Hatfield said the aircraft has

minimal damage.

Nobody on the crew was injured and Hatfield praised the pilot for "an outstanding job."

http://www.wjbf.com/midatlantic/jbf/news_i...07-11-0004.html

http://www.wrdw.com/home/headlines/24506579.html

the chopper to straddle a fence just short of the landing pad.

Can't wait to see a picture of this one. Glad everyone is ok.

How do "both engines" fail? Guess that kinda shoots a hole into the arguement about twins in EMS only...

It is an article in a news paper which means its worthless. I'm sure both engines were not lost. He probably lost one and thanks to having the other he could make a decent landing with the other. I highly doubt if you lost both you would take the time to try a 180 degree turn from 50'. Twins are fantastic and the end result will almost always be better in a twin than a single. Do you think a single would have made it with no to minimal damage to the helicopter from 50'?

Do you think a single would have made it with no to minimal damage to the helicopter from 50'?

Depends of a single...

You pick any single and take off at 500 pounds under gross and I will keep my BK at gross. Guarentee I will have a lot less worrying and fuss when EF-day comes.

You're on.

Me- UH1/205/204. That's not really fair- any Bell. Well, okay, just about any single at all, but the Bell's are the extreme for good auto characteristics/ If I'm doing anything but extended time in high hovers or verticals, I fly like the engine's about to quit and no worries. "No worries"- Except a few minutes on some legs over the mountains or downtown amidst the concrete and steel canyons.

You and your BK, on the other hand, are at twice the exposure, plus the various systems issues of your BK.

Face it, engine failures just aren't the same safety issue as pilot failure, and most light twins flown single pilot are the archetype of the problem.

You're on.

Me- UH1/205/204.

That's what i ment with the earlier comment.. Me too ;)

You and your BK, on the other hand, are at twice the exposure, plus the various systems issues of your BK.

Yep, the thing twin pilots seldom understands.

Face it, engine failures just aren't the same safety issue as pilot failure, and most light twins flown single pilot are the archetype of the problem.

Well, i don't know how i would've said it better myself, so i just cope with the words written by Wally.

I completely agree with you that there are more things to worry about than engine failure. Mainly pilot stupidity. But you saying that a single is better in case of engine failure is absolutely ridiculous unless you are talking about a 355 vs 350 or something. Point being you HAVE to do something in the event of an engine failure in a single. In the BK if an engine fails I really dont have much to worry about. Normally hover at 60 percent torque at max gross. I have up to 150 transient OEI. So engine fails I might have to push the collect down half an inch or a little more to make a standard power approach to the pad. It is much easier and safer. That is with trying to save the other engine. If you factor in the practice of 1st engine belongs to the company and the second belongs to me it makes it even easier to figure out. Fact is look at accident rates and damage rates between twins and singles. The statistics speak for themselves.

As for the "other failures" you have to worry about with a twin. Yes those are real life threatening. Oh god I lost a generator....oh wait it doesnt matter. Oh god I lost an inverter....oh wait it doesnt matter. Oh god I lost a hydraulic system... oh wait it doesnt matter. I think I made my point. And before you say anything no I do not think I am untouchable in a twin but I feel a hell of a lot more comfortable when I am decending in a hover from 200 feet to get in a hover hole. I feel a lot more comfortable when I am taking off from a 75' by 75' pad in the middle of a metro area. I feel a lot more comfortable when I am flying over Nebraska in the middle of the night with no moon and no NVGs. Twins exist for a reason, because they do have a higher margain of safety.

It all boils down to comfort level so this arguement is fruitless. But if you honestly believe you are better off in a single at say 100' over a hover hole than a twin I would recommend taking a much more serious look at your HV diagram and your own abilities. (yes I increase the altitude to get you out of that 50' demo altitude from bell)