Neat tool

aviatr

Whats a VOR ?

No really, I know what one is, I even used one once. But thinking back, only 1 of 4 ships that I fly even have a single VOR, and I have never turned it on or dialed in a freq. So much of the flying we all tend to do is around areas that we are so familiar with. Unless of course, you challenge yourself with a CC...even then the moving map GPS is just so damn easy to use.

I wonder when the Feds will shut down VOR's. A friend and I did a CC over to Vegas in a F/W...never turned the VOR on, and its an old plane with steam gauges and one lil 430.

I guess if they can justify keeping Loran C alive, they can keep VOR's alive as well. ..too bad they cant monitor how many times a VOR gets used, they would probably have some surprises...

Goldy

Whats a VOR ?

No really, I know what one is, I even used one once. But thinking back, only 1 of 4 ships that I fly even have a single VOR, and I have never turned it on or dialed in a freq. So much of the flying we all tend to do is around areas that we are so familiar with. Unless of course, you challenge yourself with a CC...even then the moving map GPS is just so damn easy to use.

I wonder when the Feds will shut down VOR's. A friend and I did a CC over to Vegas in a F/W...never turned the VOR on, and its an old plane with steam gauges and one lil 430.

I guess if they can justify keeping Loran C alive, they can keep VOR's alive as well. ..too bad they cant monitor how many times a VOR gets used, they would probably have some surprises...

Goldy

Send Tim $20.00!!!! HA!

Whats a VOR ?

Goldy

There are a bunch of VOR test questions for the written tests. They even have ADF/NDB questions though fortunately a lot fewer of those. Guess the tests are still catching up with technology. We fly with a GPS too. I read somewhere (maybe AOPA) that the reason for VORs still being around is that a lot of people in general aviation are still using VORs.

There are a bunch of VOR test questions for the written tests. They even have ADF/NDB questions though fortunately a lot fewer of those. Guess the tests are still catching up with technology. We fly with a GPS too. I read somewhere (maybe AOPA) that the reason for VORs still being around is that a lot of people in general aviation are still using VORs.

That and GPS has the nav screen w/out the moving map based off of flying to the needle. ILS is still used a lot which uses the vor needle. Also for inst. flying, if you plan on filing an alternate airport that airport must have an approach other than gps available with all ground and airborne equipment operable.

Edited by rotormandan

A really useful test question would involve how to tune in am radio on a long cc..... ADF isn't it?

A really useful test question would involve how to tune in am radio on a long cc..... ADF isn't it?

Yes, it is ADF...but who the heck has one of those in a helicopter ??

Whats a VOR ?

. ..too bad they cant monitor how many times a VOR gets used, they would probably have some surprises...

Goldy

It probably wouldn't be the answer you expect..... no they aren't used as much as they once were but they are still used pretty often in the FW world. I've flown some bigger equipment (jet and turboprop airliners) that didn't have GPS and still have to use VOR to VOR navigation. None of the airliners (and half of the business jets) I've flown were approved for GPS approaches so we still used "old" stuff (VORs, NDBs, LOCs). GPSs are certainly a great tool and in the future everything will be satellite based but there are still ALOT of older fixed wings running around without them.