I want to fly!

I am 16 and live in New Jersey, on the top of my most wanted career list(which isn't very big) is being a pilot(heli-perferably). I was wondering for a long-term career in my future should I be a fixed wing or a helicopter pilot? I really have no idea where to start where I can learn and how the hell I can ever afford it. If anyone could hold my hand and walk me through this like a baby that would be great thanks!

- I was thinking maybye going to be an officer in the air force and maybye getting my pilots cert there but then I realized I am lazy. But the option is on the table(near the edge of the table)

thanks for the help!

If you're lazy, the military would be glad to rid you of that trait. If you want to make a lot of money, fly jets. If you want to fly the coolest stuff around, fly helo's. 16 is pretty young to make a career choice, but you could start studying and go get your private license. Oh yeah, forgot the lazy part. I would say if you are really interested in flying, you should check out some of the local community college programs available out there.

I still think the military would be a great option, don't rule out the best aviation training out there.

Good luck, Goldy

Edited by Goldy

Laziness and flying don't go well together. If you want to fly (especially helicopters) you will have to put in a lot of effort, time, and a large bit of money. Flying is definetely one job where if you get lazy, you will more than likely kill yourself, anyone in your aircraft and sometimes those on the ground below. If you REALLY want to fly, and feel you could overcome the laziness for this, find your nearest airport and find a helicopter school and take a demo flight before you commit to anything. You may end up not actually liking it as much as you thought.

Take care

I'm lazy also, when it comes to stuff that I'm not interested in doing. But with flying on the other hand, I work my wee ass off day in day out. I think you just need to find something you love to do and do it. If flying helos is your thing then go for it. But as Chopperjess said, if you're gonna be lazy about this career then forget about it, as you'll get very dead very soon.

There's a whole bunch of answers to the typical first timer questions in the "FAQ" section at the top of the "General Helicopter Forum" page. Read through that stuff first and any other questions that remain for you should be answered very quickly in this section.

P.S; Welcome to the addiction!!! ;)

Edited by Darren Hughes

I am 16 and live in New Jersey, on the top of my most wanted career list(which isn't very big) is being a pilot(heli-perferably). I was wondering for a long-term career in my future should I be a fixed wing or a helicopter pilot? I really have no idea where to start where I can learn and how the hell I can ever afford it. If anyone could hold my hand and walk me through this like a baby that would be great thanks!

- I was thinking maybye going to be an officer in the air force and maybye getting my pilots cert there but then I realized I am lazy. But the option is on the table(near the edge of the table)

thanks for the help!

If you're really that lazy, you'll have a hard time in aviation. And I doubt anyone will hold your hand and spoon feed you--at least not for very long. People will help you with selecting a school and looking at your financing options (including pay-as-you-go), but when it comes to becoming a professional pilot, you will have to do a lot of studying and training and hard work. By the way your post comes across, it seems the military would be a good route for you. Best of luck!

~Jeff

Well I'll consider myself somewhat of an expert on this one considering I started flying helicopters when I was 15. It's not easy like the others have mentioned and not having the money will straight suck the life out of you. I had to give up a lot of things in order to make it possible but persistance pays off. If you're lazy it doesn't surprise me because that's the way a lot of 16 year olds are these days. You have to push beyond that mentality and prove everyone else wrong. Most everybody said that I would only go so far but here I am today with 110 hours and just finished the Robinson course (which I recommend). I've seen other young people do it; I'm not the only one, So stop being a teenager and start growing. Be a kid when your older and when you have money. Oops forgot were talking about being a pilot. JK So start investing money and securing your financial future and get a good job that offers lots of hours and doesn't care about you getting overtime. It doesn't matter if you like it just do what pays the best. Don't expect anybody to hold your hand in aviation because in the beginning it's every man for himself. That's not to say that we won't help you because we will.

PM me if you have other questions

Helo08

For the Military side... The laziness will either go away or show it's ugly head before you even get to flight school. The application process alone will certainly take some dedication. However, I wouldn't trade it for the world. Just got home from a flight... still smiling.

Personally... I started taking lessons when I was 15. Solo'd when I was 16, earned my private right after my 17th birthday...That was all in the fixed wing, and now that I'm flying helo's, I could care if I ever fly a plane again. Nothing beats picking up to a hover. It certainly can be started (a career) when you are that young, but it does certainly take time, and commitment. I would suggest going and taking flight lessons, maybe just a few at a time, and work towards it.

CHAD

Edited by FLHooker

When I said lazy I meant I WOULD DIE in the military. Not fall asleep flying or studying. But I heard that it is alot easier in the military to learn to fly but then I heard I will get my arm cut off and then I can never fly :( I am willing to commit myself(not myself to the government) but to flying! I just need to be spoon fed the information I need I can study it and then explain to you how it all works! I am just sitting here and have no idea where to start.

Easier to learn how to fly in the Military, huh? Ok... And spoon fed?

Just based on that last comment, I would suggest holding off for a while before you spend any money. Nothing in aviation is spoon fed. If you don't have the discipline to sit down for hours upon hours on your own time studying, well... you just won't make it. The ground schools and oral time you spend with instructors will be just the basics. The entire aviation world is very very complex, you must have the discipline to learn, or you will simply kill yourself. On an ILS in instrument conditions when fuel is a consideration (when is it not?) is not the time to question your knowledge on what YOU have learned. No spoon fed information will fix that.

My 2 cents...

CHAD

I just need to be spoon fed the information I need I can study it and then explain to you how it all works! I am just sitting here and have no idea where to start.

If you're looking to get spoon fed info, go visit a school and tell them you're gonna give them lots of money for training and they will sit there all day talking to you. Otherwise this is a good place to start....FAQ's.

Even with all the info you get from that link, and from talking to a school you still will have hours of research ahead of you, as FL Hooker mentioned. You'll find, when you start training in a school, that most of the info you need on how the industry works will come from just bullshitting with the instructors and other guys in the school. That's where you'll make lots of good contacts for job prospects in the future, when you have your hours.

I think you guys are all going a little hard on the guy, hes only 16. I don't think he meant he was lazy in a literal sense, but I knew the flaming was going to come.

Start by reading the rotorcraft flying handbook.

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraf...a-h-8083-21.pdf

Chock full of good information, and when you come to information you don't fully understand, google it, or feel free to stop back here and ask if maybe someone can explain that specific subject or question.

I would suggest summarizing the information into your own Microsoft word file. That way further down your reading you forget what something was, you can just go back to your summary and you have it written down in terms that are easy for you to understand.

Edited by slick1537

I looked at all the FAQs why do you keep telling me to look at the FAQs. My point is I need A book that tells me everything I need to know I can memorize the whole thing. My point is I'm not going to cat and mouse the information.

If you're looking for THE book then I suggest you START with "Professional Helicopter Pilot Studies" by Phil Croucher. you can get it here; http://www.helicoptersonly.com/index1.html