most interesting helicopter facts

sam_iam

I am wondering if anyone who has flown or owned (s) a hiller c or d model can tell me what the advantages or disadvantages of the hiller are. Also what the specific operating cost is and if you would recomend a hiller and what for. Thank You

I've flown two C's a little, and about to purchase a C. The C's have a very small amount of time life parts, wood core blades and a Franklin engine. The D's are basically the same as an E, just with a smaller Lycoming.

I've flown two C's a little, and about to purchase a C. The C's have a very small amount of time life parts, wood core blades and a Franklin engine. The D's are basically the same as an E, just with a smaller Lycoming.

You might want to check with some engine shops before you go through with your purchase. I was looking at a couple of Bell 47's and was told by a more than just one mechanic I trust, to beware of the Franklin engine. Mostly due to lack of support, spares and knowledgeable maintenance people.

You might want to check with some engine shops before you go through with your purchase. I was looking at a couple of Bell 47's and was told by a more than just one mechanic I trust, to beware of the Franklin engine. Mostly due to lack of support, spares and knowledgeable maintenance people.

Thats is what some people say. But, I've talked with lots of Hiller people so far and pretty much all Hiller places have parts for the Franklin. I actually lucked out, one of the main Hiller mechanics lives just a few hours from me. And the one I'm looking at just had an engine overhaul, so its only got about 30hrs on her!! :D

But, yes for the most part, Franklin and Hiller (factory) don't care a whole lot about them.

I have flown C-Models for a few hundred hours (almost 500), they are interesting when they fly. Maintenance is horrendous, if you fly them a lot. There's always something wrong. I had a full time mechanic, couldn't keep it in the air on a regular basis to make money with it. (Flightschool/tours). There's is no support from the Hiller factory, because they simply don't have the parts. Track and Balance is a pain in the A***, because of the wooden blades, when they sit for a few days, they shake like crazy, usually goes way after about 20 minutes. The Franklin engines are always leaking oil somewhere. You have to be really interested in maintenance to won one, it's good way to get A&P experience. By the way some parts are almost impossible to get, and go for ridiculous prices if you can get your hands on them.

I would seriously consider a D or an E, that's a totally different ball-game, (great actually)

It's a lovely helicopter for the hobby flier.

I have flown C-Models for a few hundred hours (almost 500), they are interesting when they fly. Maintenance is horrendous, if you fly them a lot. There's always something wrong. I had a full time mechanic, couldn't keep it in the air on a regular basis to make money with it. (Flightschool/tours). There's is no support from the Hiller factory, because they simply don't have the parts. Track and Balance is a pain in the A***, because of the wooden blades, when they sit for a few days, they shake like crazy, usually goes way after about 20 minutes. The Franklin engines are always leaking oil somewhere. You have to be really interested in maintenance to won one, it's good way to get A&P experience. By the way some parts are almost impossible to get, and go for ridiculous prices if you can get your hands on them.

I would seriously consider a D or an E, that's a totally different ball-game, (great actually)

It's a lovely helicopter for the hobby flier.

If I remember correctly, yours were from that guy in Florida?

Rick, I know of a B47G2 just out of overhaul for sale. In fact, I flew it last week, flies nice for a 47...great flying it in the winds...it just dont bounce at all. Anyway, PM me if you want the email for the owner.

Goldy

Rick, I know of a B47G2 just out of overhaul for sale. In fact, I flew it last week, flies nice for a 47...great flying it in the winds...it just dont bounce at all. Anyway, PM me if you want the email for the owner.

Goldy

YoYo's?

Goldy

Goldy, I have flown it also. It is a nice flying machine. However, there are just two little problems with that picture. One, It would one heck of a long flight back to the east coast in it. And two, my other helicopter would get jealous and cause me all sorts of problems. Helicopters are a lot like women.