Florida Ship down

Goldy

One of the 300's at Bristow made an emergency landing in Fla yesterday. I love the fact that fire and PD responded, for what ? Maybe an illegal parking ticket?

This is obviously how its supposed to turn out. I dont think they even got the skids dirty. NIce lil slope landing too, just to make it more interesting.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...2010&Ref=PH

Goldy

It's a great thing the Fire/EMS and law enforcement showed up. You never know. When I lost my hydrualics in the Astar a few years back I had plenty of time to waste while making my wat back to LGB. I requested to have airport fire/rescue meet me at my planned landing spot. While I practiced a million of those landings, it's better to err on the side of caution.

Goldy, it seems you are always the first to know of these things. How's that?

Anyway, I am glad to see all turned out well. I wonder what kind of "engine" trouble they had?

JD

It's a great thing the Fire/EMS and law enforcement showed up. You never know. When I lost my hydrualics in the Astar a few years back I had plenty of time to waste while making my wat back to LGB. I requested to have airport fire/rescue meet me at my planned landing spot. While I practiced a million of those landings, it's better to err on the side of caution.

Goldy, it seems you are always the first to know of these things. How's that?

JD- Yeah, that comment was sorta tongue in cheek considering how I spend my weekends!

If I lost hydraulics in an AStar I would have the entire E.R. at my landing spot...those boosters are only good for a few manuevers before things starting getting stiff ! I know of two pilots that lost it at the last minute trying to hover....so....run on landing I hope ??

As far as the accidents, this one came via email the day it happened. I was just a lil slow to post it. It was just nice to post SOMETHING that turned out right, instead of all the ones that don't.

Usually my phone starts ringing at the first hint of an accident if its local. Usually LASD hears something and lots of friends there either want to be the first to tell me about it, or the friendlier ones actually want to make sure it wasnt me ! My brother is also on the LAFD Fire rescue ship, so I pretty well have the county and the city all covered !!

And thats my secret!

Fly safe buddy, still jealous of that ship you fly.

Goldy

Those guys are part of the Bristow Military Training Program (usually of South American origin), and tend to be pretty good sticks - if anyone was going to make a successful unscheduled stop, it'd be somebody from that crew.

The 95/407 intersection isn't far from the field. Whatever went belly-up in the motor must've happened pretty quickly. Most of my log entries for those ships (I can't really make out the tail number on this one) contain extra ground run time for leaning and clearing up the lower plugs :D

This is obviously how its supposed to turn out. I dont think they even got the skids dirty. NIce lil slope landing too, just to make it more interesting.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...2010&Ref=PH

Goldy

Also note the power lines in the background of the first pic...made me cringe :o

JD- Yeah, that comment was sorta tongue in cheek considering how I spend my weekends!

If I lost hydraulics in an AStar I would have the entire E.R. at my landing spot...those boosters are only good for a few manuevers before things starting getting stiff ! I know of two pilots that lost it at the last minute trying to hover....so....run on landing I hope ??

As far as the accidents, this one came via email the day it happened. I was just a lil slow to post it. It was just nice to post SOMETHING that turned out right, instead of all the ones that don't.

Usually my phone starts ringing at the first hint of an accident if its local. Usually LASD hears something and lots of friends there either want to be the first to tell me about it, or the friendlier ones actually want to make sure it wasnt me ! My brother is also on the LAFD Fire rescue ship, so I pretty well have the county and the city all covered !!

And thats my secret!

Fly safe buddy, still jealous of that ship you fly.

Goldy

Wow Goldy, sure seems you have a few conections. :D

Yeah, best option in the Astar would be running landing. If unable then you can hover it but it takes practice. Something they do in the Gulf.

Was this recent event an autorotation or a precautionary landing? If it was an auto I am very suprised it didn't roll over.

I love the ship I fly now too. :P

The helicopter is Bristows external load equipped Schweizer. It did make an emergency landing, but it was not an autorotation. The helicopter landed under power, but the pilot reported that the engine was running sufficiently roughly to warrant the emergency landing. Exact cause is as yet unknown, maintenance is still trying to figure out what caused the engine problem.

Meanwhile, my instructor is chomping at the bit because he is trying to finish his external load training, and the helicopter isn't available.