HI! and TUCSON ROLE CALL!!!

Yamer

i just joined the site here finally... i've been reading threads for like a year now and just now decided to register so i can post too...

about me...

im 24 years old living in the AWESOME AND FABULOUS Tucson Arizona... i have a wife and 2 year old at home and her GOD FORSAKEN cat... lol im a firefighter full time, that's what pays the bills currently but i havent incurred in flight school bills yet lol

just like my postings here have just started. i've finally started teaching myself to be a pilot. i went to our local rotorschool here in tucson, there's only one so you know which one im talking about, got a list of textbooks and materials they use for teaching, and bought them on ebay. got the jeppessen private pilot manual for 9 bucks and its in mint condition. and the rotorcraft flying handbook for 10 bucks. ebay rocks. anyways i thought i'd try to teach myself as much as i can at home. hopefully that will save me some money in ground school costs. i know i gotta go for a certain amount of hours but hopefully ill be able to grasp things better now. im definately a physical learner so ACTUALLY DOING something will get picked up and remembered alot quicker then reading or listening to it will.. anyways enough about me. just wanted to say hi to all and LETS HEAR FROM YOU IF YOURE A PILOT IN TUCSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gotta start the networking...

BTW>>> this town sucks for EVERYTHING> DONT move here. EVER!

LAter ya'll -chad

I'm going to Tucson next week to do testing for Ratheon. Last time I was there someone bounced an R22 off the taxi way and flipped upside down right next to the hangar we work out of. I think everyone was ok, heard rumors the owner was going to sell the school after the last accident. Is it under a new owner?

I like Tucson, accept in July at max gross lol

I'm going to Tucson next week to do testing for Ratheon. Last time I was there someone bounced an R22 off the taxi way and flipped upside down right next to the hangar we work out of. I think everyone was ok, heard rumors the owner was going to sell the school after the last accident. Is it under a new owner?

I like Tucson, accept in July at max gross lol

um yeah... this dry air at 120F in july produces some AWESOME lift oppurtunities let me tell you...

it might very well be under new ownership... i couldnt tell you.. i just started talking to them like 2 months ago. what are you testing? anything cool or just your average boring missle blow up stuff?

HEY! My brother lives in Tucson and he says it doesn't suck!

But I do.

Welkommen freunde

Later

anyways i thought i'd try to teach myself as much as i can at home. hopefully that will save me some money in ground school costs. i know i gotta go for a certain amount of hours but hopefully ill be able to grasp things better now.

Yamer- Welcome !

However, you can self study your way quite a ways. In fact I know many that got their private with only an hour or two of ground school total, and that was just a quick review just prior to the oral. (me, for example).

instrument, well, thats usually a different story!

Again, welcome.

Fly safe,

Goldy

Just to let you know there are 2 rotor schools in Tucson, I teach at the other one. Welcome to the addiction!

Darkhorse, taxiway charlie is restricted to heli traffic only and I think your talking about the other school, it did change hands recently. If you want to fly while your here just let me know.

Jerry

Edited by IFLYEVERYTHING

Yo Yamer, I suggest you get in touch(lunch) with Jerry-IFLYEVERYTHING! I have flown with him and recommend him. Good Luck to you in your flying endeavors, MikeMV

Jerry huh

!!!! I guess I can recommend him I did help him get his CFI. And you say Tucson sucks!!! Why did you move here (DUMMY). I have lived here all my life did my flight training here was a CFI here for about 2 years and when school went down under I had to find a flying job somewhere else. I have been trying to get back ever since. Very familiar with Taxi way Charlie was actually on Taxi way charlie when that accident happened. Thats what happens when D.A. is 6000' and temps around 104 and your trying to pull off a 180 auto HUM. Any way could be worse still live here but travel back and forth from Texas to come home and see my family. Any way good luck especially with either schools your talking about.

Just to let you know there are 2 rotor schools in Tucson, I teach at the other one. Welcome to the addiction!

Darkhorse, taxiway charlie is restricted to heli traffic only and I think your talking about the other school, it did change hands recently. If you want to fly while your here just let me know.

Jerry

pm. sent... glad to meet you. didnt know there was another one there... hmm... makes me doubt my school choice now until i look into yours... especially with the aweome reference mike just left you. if you know Laura Wendt she's the one i've been talking to so far...

this is the awesome reason i started posting btw... thanks for all the hi's and welcomes fellas.. cant wait to get behind the stick FINALLY!!! ill keep everyone posted on my progress...

I did my Private at a school in Tucson a while back called Voyager. They were great, they were on the Tucson airport west side ramp but they got a new manager I think and they moved to a nicer office near the tower last year.

the outfit on the west ramp where they used to rent space from tells people who look for them that they went out of business because he has an old helicopter now but it is not a helicopter school and from what I hear has some serious maintenance problems

FAA: Tucson school program used unsafe airplanes

amongst other problems like going through several chief pilots that have all quit in the last couple of years

you want a school with a couple of helis at least because they do need maintenance and so down time can be a problem

many instructors are just killing time until they have the hours to do something else so try to find an instructor you can get along with and who likes teaching and isn't just building time. Laura must have well over a 1000 hours by now, she is a good pilot & CFI

Jerry huh

!!!! I guess I can recommend him I did help him get his CFI. And you say Tucson sucks!!! Why did you move here (DUMMY). I have lived here all my life did my flight training here was a CFI here for about 2 years and when school went down under I had to find a flying job somewhere else. I have been trying to get back ever since. Very familiar with Taxi way Charlie was actually on Taxi way charlie when that accident happened. Thats what happens when D.A. is 6000' and temps around 104 and your trying to pull off a 180 auto HUM. Any way could be worse still live here but travel back and forth from Texas to come home and see my family. Any way good luck especially with either schools your talking about.

um... dude... im gonna be nice so here's the deal... dont bash me first off... i didnt move here. I WAS BORN HERE!!! http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=2...01005&key=1 details this accident that is spoken of. to me it sounds like the CFI did an awesome job trying to save both HER and the students lives... i think your facts might be a little bit off teaspoon.

/RANT OFF...

anyways, after looking into the other school in question, jerry's school, i think ill just stick with where im at.. i've already pretty much started there so i feel that she deserves me and i know i deserve her. we've built our relationship and get along fine so far... my recommendation after a year of research, Voyager Flight Services. <---- dont know if i can say that cause its free advertisement i guess but others did you there...

got a question for all you rotorjockey pros out there... is there an easy way to understand the airspace classifications? i've read that section of my book like 4 times and it still confusses the heck out of me... Aeronotical charts are another story and headache i have.... guess ill have to get someone to sit down with me and put a chart in front of us and just do it... that's how i learn best i think...

thanks for all the input rotordragon... that's pretty much what i thought already but you only confirmed it for me...

Edited by Yamer

I did my Private at a school in Tucson a while back called Voyager. They were great, they were on the Tucson airport west side ramp but they got a new manager I think and they moved to a nicer office near the tower last year.

the outfit on the west ramp where they used to rent space from tells people who look for them that they went out of business because he has an old helicopter now but it is not a helicopter school and from what I hear has some serious maintenance problems

FAA: Tucson school program used unsafe airplanes

amongst other problems like going through several chief pilots that have all quit in the last couple of years

you want a school with a couple of helis at least because they do need maintenance and so down time can be a problem

many instructors are just killing time until they have the hours to do something else so try to find an instructor you can get along with and who likes teaching and isn't just building time. Laura must have well over a 1000 hours by now, she is a good pilot & CFI

Voyager got a new owner. I have heard Tim tell someone looking for Voyager where to find them, not that they went out of business.

What do you mean it's not a helicopter school? We have 5 active helicopter instructors and an instrument R-22 to teach in. The longest the heli has been down for maintenance was about 2 weeks maybe 1 1/2 to 2 years ago that I can remember.

The same chief pilot has been there since I started flying with them 3 years ago. Where did you get this information?

Laura is nice and I like her but I haven't flown with her yet. One of our instructors flys for the Guard out of Pinal Airpark, another has 1100+ hours and is doing this part time because he likes to instruct instruments. None of us are just building hours killing time.

Jerry

Edited by IFLYEVERYTHING

OK!!!!!

Not going to get into it.

I do have my facts straight I was there when it happened!!! I helped scrape helicopter off of the Dirt. I was in the traffic pattern (Not doing Auto's) But thats cool Laura is awsome I know her and have known her for a long time. I will stop by and say Hi one of these day's.

As far as Airspace here is a cool website that I have been passing on I saw it here a while ago maybe it will help. http://www.ascension-helicopters.com/

No hard feelings good luck with the training. Didnt mean to call you a Dummy I just love it there and pretty much have been spending my career trying to get back there.

Voyager got a new owner, moving to a new location wasn't their choice as I understand it. I have heard Tim tell someone looking for Voyager where to find them, not that they went out of business.

What do you mean it's not a helicopter school? We have 5 active helicopter instructors and an instrument R-22 to teach in. The longest the heli has been down for maintenance was about 2 weeks maybe 1 1/2 to 2 years ago that I can remember.

The same chief pilot has been there since I started flying with them 3 years ago. Where did you get this information?

Laura is nice and I like her but I haven't flown with her yet. One of our instructors flys for the Guard out of Pinal Airpark, another has 1100+ hours and is doing this part time because he likes to instruct instruments. None of us are just building hours killing time.

If you want to know more about it try asking someone that works there not someone that has been asked to leave.

Jerry

For the record Voyager moved because we wanted to use our own maintenance people and this was unacceptable to the owner of our previous hangar who also did maintenance. Well, it's his hangar and he can have whatever policy he likes, the move worked out fine for us. No complaints.

P.S. We have 3 helicopters. :)

I would stop in and say hi, but TUS has the slowest fuel on the planet, and they make me park on the damn pads and walk the mile to the FBO....

Be safe!

For the record Voyager moved because we wanted to use our own maintenance people and this was unacceptable to the owner of our previous hangar who also did maintenance. Well, it's his hangar and he can have whatever policy he likes, the move worked out fine for us. No complaints.

P.S. We have 3 helicopters. :)

I got that part wrong, I asked Tim and he confirmed what you said here. I edited my post to take that out.

I'll be over to do my Bi-annual on the R-44 in a couple of months before it runs out.

Jerry

OK!!!!!

Not going to get into it.

I do have my facts straight I was there when it happened!!! I helped scrape helicopter off of the Dirt. I was in the traffic pattern (Not doing Auto's) But thats cool Laura is awsome I know her and have known her for a long time. I will stop by and say Hi one of these day's.

As far as Airspace here is a cool website that I have been passing on I saw it here a while ago maybe it will help. http://www.ascension-helicopters.com/

No hard feelings good luck with the training. Didnt mean to call you a Dummy I just love it there and pretty much have been spending my career trying to get back there.

thanks for the website teaspoon... that helped out alot.. its actually writen like joe blow would write it instead of that blasted book that sounds like im going to med school... and no worries.. feelings not hurt. i guess i like it here too being that i havent left yet but if your age 18 - 21 the city is pretty boring imo. hope you can make it back soon.. the flying weather is pretty awesome the last couple days and isnt supposed to change for like a week i think...

HI "Voyager"..........

NO MORE FIGHTING ABOUT SCHOOLS you Tucson folk... that's not what this thread was intended to be...

thanks for the info about your school jerry but i hope it wont offend you if i stay with Laura at Voyager being that "to me" your schools are the same, give or take a little bit, and i've already built our instructor/student relationship. thanks again buddy and hope to see you on the pad sometime...

update on my progress...

Jeppessen Private Pilot Manual- read through it just to get the key points in my brain.

Rotorcraft Flying Handbook- starting chapter three tomorrow at work(firefighter/emt).

still gotta get that flight physical and take my intro flight to "make sure" i can do this for a career but im pretty sure ill still be hooked as much as i am now.

thanks for the info about your school jerry but i hope it wont offend you if i stay with Laura at Voyager being that "to me" your schools are the same, give or take a little bit, and i've already built our instructor/student relationship. thanks again buddy and hope to see you on the pad sometime...

None taken, I expected you to stay with Laura since you started there. My Bi-annual in the 44 runs out in Aug so I'll be flying with Laura before then. Hope to see you buzzing around Taxiway Charlie soon.

Jerry