AH-1Z Super Cobra

Sparker

This may be old news to most of you, but I liked the article this morning. Better than crap about politics...

I smiled when he got to the part about the four H's. Looks like the designers put some actual thought into this thing instead of trying to make it as expensive as possible. 84% interoperability with the Huey gives me hope that not everybody out for a government contract is insane.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,507864,00.html

the Huey/Cobra interchangeability has alway been that way since day 1, Bell found that it worked well so why change it, besides the cross training for us Huey mechanics on the Cobra was very easy, we just had to learn the incorperated weapons systems that were not on the Huey. nearly everything else is the same

The picture on the article is an AH-1W Super Cobra, not an AH-1Z.

Engineering costs were cheaper for Bell to use the dynamic components available from working models than to design from the ground up. Bell's original design for a dedicated attack aircraft, the D-255 Iroquois Warrior, was based on the UH-1B components. When Bell got around to building a flying model, the Bell 209, the UH-1C was the current model being built for gunship aircraft; with upgraded and more capable components than the B-model.

The Y- and Z-models will have more in common than any other H-1 aircraft in the series. Personally, if Bell had the production capacity, I'd prefer the AH-1Z to the ARH-70. More speed, more ammo, more power, etc.

Here are a few nice pics of a Z model..

Link 1

Link 2

I tried and tried to get the army recruiter to help me get into aviation. But, he refused, wanted me to go infantry and "apply" to get into aviation. I wanted to be involved with the Cobra's bad, back then. I went USAF instead, still didn't get aviation tho :( . I knew a few Army Mech's, shoulda got them to introduce me to one of the CH47 warrant's. Back then I never dreamed of going blue to green.. Based on all the recruiter BS that was feed to me..

Sgt Santacruz if your reading this kiss my ___!

I tried and tried to get the army recruiter to help me get into aviation. But, he refused, wanted me to go infantry and "apply" to get into aviation.

I got the same BS from them last year. F-that. It may not be as fast or as cool learning the civilian way but in the long run it's cheaper.

Edited by beckwith

Define "cheaper", because it just came across to me as a case of sour grapes.

If you define cheaper as, not giving up 6 years or more of your life with multiple deployments that wreak havoc with your other plans for life; then, yes, it is much cheaper.

If you define cheaper as, having a decent, relatively secure paying job while you're learning, that pays you to learn from a highly experienced cadre of instructors; and after you've completed training, automatically locates a flying position for you and without any decrease in pay...

They are two different routes to a goal, each has its own costs, some are more hidden than others. The choice of which path to take is all in how much you have to spend and what you're willing to give up. What we do is not for everyone, and the path to get to my side of the aviation world is not necessarily easy, but all you have to do is apply. What's that phrase they use for the lottery? Oh yeah, "You can't win if you don't play!"

I got the same BS from them last year. F-that. It may not be as fast or as cool learning the civilian way but in the long run it's cheaper.

Heh... I went the Infantry route and loved it. Of course there were some crappy times I don't even want to remember, but I think it gave me a better outlook on life and a more disciplined approach to all of my future training.

Linc also definitely has a point about it literally being cheaper. There's nothing like getting paid a good amount of money and not NEEDING to have any bills at all (though most joes end up buying cars they cant afford and financing a $10,000 stereo system).

The military route isn't for everybody. The Infantry first route DEFINATELY isn't for everybody. But I guarantee you... You can tell the difference between the pilots who pushed through the hard way and the ones who found an easy-in.

J-

first off I didn't mean any offense.

Linc. mostly I meant it as a joke on what I perceive to be the fallacy of free Army flight instruction. I think it is worth noting that I was talking to a recruiter and seriously considering applying for the WOFT program.

Justin. I'm glad that worked for you, I had a somewhat different approach to get to a place where I'm ready to take my training seriously and right now I'm not interested in the infantry option. That is all I meant by the f-that comment it was not my intention to disparage the service.

As to the cost analysis you both mentioned it is true that I tend to place a lower value on money vs other considerations, closer to Linc's first point but let me elaborate.

I can work sh*t jobs and write scholarship essays fly in the s300 or the r22, then the 44, then do my time as a CFI then go to the GOM or somewhere else. I can take longer, spend more, and do less exciting flying.

OR

I can enlist in the Army, maybe get an MOS I want, then maybe get into flight school, and then maybe be in a better place employment wise in six years. Lot of big maybes there.

and Linc are you suggesting that quit my job and play the lotto? (Just kidding)