tips???

OK, here's the situation.

I'll be a senior in high school next year and wish to be a pilot. Farther down the road, I plan to open my own helicopter business (maybe with partners) offering a variety of services ranging from charters to fire-fighting to Ag. spraying. I just don't know what I should do as for a college education or if i should pursue one at all...

I'm thinking that after i get my pilot's license, I could try and find a job at a small private company and learn the basics of the business (maybe working as a mechanic, also) over a course of 5-6 years. then go into business for myself.

I do have two fallback plans if the whole pilot thing doesn't work out (without needing to go to college)

Also, I'm a pretty bright kid, so I would like to attend a 4-year university.

i hope that all makes sense.....??

Great electricians dont make great electrical contractors, great plumbers dont always stay in business either. A great chef does not make a successful restaurant.

So, if you want to own and run a business I recommend you go get a business degree as a start. That way, when you become a great helicopter pilot, you can also become a successful helicopter operator.

Good luck,

Goldy

There are lots of Aviation Management type degrees out there. My Wife got hers at Farmingdale State in NY way back when. She also got fixed wing rated in that course. Utah Valley State College is one of the schools that offer a Helicopter program. I don't know anything about that school but it's a start. Or you you could go the expensive route and go Embry Riddle!

You might as well get a college degree while you're young. It probably won't directly help you in running your own business but it may open some doors in other areas.

I think University of North Dakota offer a Helo program also.

I think University of North Dakota offer a Helo program also.

Yes! Yes! Keep me employed!

Click Here: University of North Dakota

Just kidding.

In all reality though, UND does have a very good program. I have also heard good things about Embry too, so check them out. It would be my suggestion to check out as many schools as you possibly can, go visit them, and see which one seems to fit you and your personality the best. I would also suggest getting a business degree instead of "just" an aviation degree. I'm not sure about other places, but around here you could do a business degree with an aviation minor and be set in exactly where you wanted to be.

UND College of Business

I'm sure the other schools are great too, and I don't want to make it seem like I'm pushing UND, because it might not be the best fit for you. So please, research as many and as much as you can to find the best fit.

As far as I know this past year was the last in which the aviation program at Utah Valley University accepted helo certificates, and is now entirely fixed-wing only. Students who have been in rotorcraft training, such as myself, and have attended previous semesters are grandfathered in. Anyone with better information able to confirm or deny?

As far as I know this past year was the last in which the aviation program at Utah Valley University accepted helo certificates, and is now entirely fixed-wing only. Students who have been in rotorcraft training, such as myself, and have attended previous semesters are grandfathered in. Anyone with better information able to confirm or deny?

I just had a student get a loan through UVU for heli training...

at embry riddle you can do aviation business admin major with 1 or 2 helicopter minors [helo flight and helo ops/safety]..or aero science-helicopter major with a business minor...max budget your tuition loans and you'll have $$ to fly with ;)

thanks ya'll for the replies. I think ya'll are right, i really should go to college, even if i never use my degree. I was originally planning on a major in engineering (i told you i was a pretty bright kid) so i think i'll stick with that and get my commercial heli license during school. (I'll be selling real estate at that time, so that should help pay for it....ok maybe just a fraction ;) )

thanks again for your input.