Sevier County Choppers

Anyone get their training done here? of have any thoughts about their training program?

I went and visited Sevier County Choppers a few weeks ago while I was on R&R. Great school. I really liked the people and the owner! Very nice, and "real" people. I say "real" because they dont make you feel like you are on a used car lot like some of the schools try and do. I flew with Michael Miller while I was there, great person and he has about 1400 hours flight time and really makes you feel at home in the cockpit. They pretty much guarantee you a job as an instructor upon completion of your training(as long as you are a good pilot and person) and one of the tour pilots. They also have helped a lot of guys move into flying the tours in the B206s as well. You should check them out. They are my "backup" school right now because I am wanting to use my VA benefits and they are not 141 or VA approved yet, though they are working on it. Get on youtube and look up Michaelmiller85 there are plenty of videos there too. Good luck!!

Matt

I'm supposed to start the "pro pilot course" I guess you'd call it later this year. As Matt said, they seem like a good bunch of people, I've talked with people over the phone who had good things to say about their training, maintenance, etc. I also flew up there and met in person with the owner. I made my choice based on the big thing, the job, but also on quality of instruction, maintenance of aircraft, and friendliness of staff. I originally began my aviation journey flying airplanes, but I truly believe that there will be greater job security in RW, and people seem happier in RW world than they do in FW side. Right now I can't tell you much more about the place, but I feel that I've made the best descision given the current job market and economy. I would be curious to know if anyone else has any input about the place, or the tour operators in the Gatlinburg area.

They are a good bunch of guys down there, I take our R44 to them for maintenance. The flight is 135 NM down there, and there are a few other Robinson shops much closer if that tells you anything. The owners/mechanics are excellent, and their aircraft are well maintained.

It is my understanding that they do not start training a student unless they feel that they can offer him/her a job after their training is complete, so they don't take a lot of new students. That is also probably why badtransam97 is waiting.

I would say their bread and butter is the tour business, so as an employee you would likely be looking at a mix of instruction and tour flights.

But like any school, you should go in their and meet them, talk to them face to face.

I used to party with them back in Dublya Dublya 2. . .. good times.

nah, joking . . we never partied in WWII .. but I have called for Robinson parts a time or two, and always ended up having a good conversation with them.