Tree trimming (not how you were thinking)

Despite the complete idiocy, you have to hand it to the guy. He is still alive.

From what i have read, Vietnam pilots used to "adjust" their landing spots and would sometimes hover down into the trees to create hover holes which involved the rotor blades with a healthy dosage of jungle.

Despite the complete idiocy, you have to hand it to the guy. He is still alive.

...But the actions will most likely compromise the helo and kill a different pilot & pax later...

-WATCH FOR THE PATTERNS, WATCH FOR THE WIRES-

...But the actions will most likely compromise the helo and kill a different pilot & pax later...

-WATCH FOR THE PATTERNS, WATCH FOR THE WIRES-

I hope that another pilot never flies that aircraft. Disregarding safety to that point is scary. Its like the guy is playing Russian roulette with a a full gun.

I have to place faith that another pilot would see a sawed off skid and the rotor blades during his preflight and walk away.

this footage is from the DVD "the last great adventure" about the venison recovery progam in NZ in the 1980s. A live deer was worth a lot of money, and if you are taking $20 or 30k on a good day or something, a few new rotor blades every now and then is not a major problem.

They obviously wrecked a lot of 500s, too, so I don't think anybody else will have to fly that one anymore..

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah I just thought it was a crazy video I'm glad it raised some discussion. My neighbor tells me all about the hueys and 500's or "Loaches" as he calls them doing this in Vietnam also. He makes a good point though...in Vietnam either you made a hole to get your buddies or they died.

He was a door gunner not a pilot, but he tells me how chopped off branches used to fly in the open doors of his huey, over his .60 or .50 in the doorway, and fill the aircraft then they had to throw them back out. He isn't really one to exaggerate, he doesn't need to he got shot down 3 times, and has lots of photos. He said most of his pilots were 18 or 19, but he was "older" and in his early 20's.