Going Army Warrant Officer, just one problem..

Hi, I saw a topic kind of related to this but my situations a little different. I am Active Duty Enlisted Air Force, and want to apply for WOFT. I've been researching everything before I bring it to my 1st Sgt and Commander, and AR 40-501 says for the flight physical, psoriasis is disqualifying. I've had psoriasis for a few years now and am trying to keep my hopes up for a waiver. I can pass the APFT and AFAST no problem, just that medical waiver would need to be approved. I don't know how many Army aviators are on this forum, but does anyone know how hard getting a waiver for this would be? Also, can anyone explain why that would be a disqualifying factor? The last forum post was made by a guy who had it go into remission, but I don't have that luxury. If for some reason I couldn't get the waiver, I still plan on getting trained to fly on the outside, but I would feel better flying for the Army.

Just start your physical and see what happens. The Flight Physician can process your physical but it's Rucker that will disqualify it. If it gets bumped back, apply for a waiver. One thing to remember when putting a WOFT packet together is to be able to balance persistance with patience. Best of luck to ya.

One thing to remember when putting a WOFT packet together is to be able to balance persistance with patience. Best of luck to ya.

Gawd, ain't that the truth.

I was DQed for psoriasis and my waiver declined. Psoriasis is often accompanied by serious arthritis and even thought I had a waver (from a navy doctor) that said i was fit for military service i was still declined

Edited by mattkreps

Thanks for the input everyone, I was going to push through with it anyways. No sense in not trying.

@ mattkreps, so did you just move on and fly when you got out or what? I see your signature has OH58A in it, along with two trainers, so I'm kinda confused.

I got a loan and moved to go to school. The OH58A was army surplus owned by a local operator that I got a chance to fly. Don't let my story get you down my recruiter was new and didn't know what he was doing talk directly to warrant officer command and don't let any one convince you that you should go insisted

Hi, I saw a topic kind of related to this but my situations a little different. I am Active Duty Enlisted Air Force, and want to apply for WOFT. I've been researching everything before I bring it to my 1st Sgt and Commander, and AR 40-501 says for the flight physical, psoriasis is disqualifying. I've had psoriasis for a few years now and am trying to keep my hopes up for a waiver. I can pass the APFT and AFAST no problem, just that medical waiver would need to be approved. I don't know how many Army aviators are on this forum, but does anyone know how hard getting a waiver for this would be? Also, can anyone explain why that would be a disqualifying factor? The last forum post was made by a guy who had it go into remission, but I don't have that luxury. If for some reason I couldn't get the waiver, I still plan on getting trained to fly on the outside, but I would feel better flying for the Army.

I am really surprised it is disqualifying. Is it because it can be itchy & distracting? Or because of potential of arthritis?

I am sure you have looked into treatment, but if you haven't, talk to your doc about taking colchicine. A relative of mine has gout (which is a severe form of arthritis) & took both allupurinol & colchicine for treatment. He happened to also have psoriasis. The psoriasus cleared up with the medication & has disappeared. Not sure which of those two got rid of it, but this seems to indicate that colchicine is used for treatment:

http://dermnetnz.org/treatments/colchicine.html

Klas, I really don't know. I'm scheduling my flight physical today, so hopefully he'll be able to tell me. I think it might have something to do with the potential for arthritis. From what I've read they're coming out with a lot of new drugs to treat psoriasis that are very effective, they're just kinda expensive. I will definitely look into colchicine, thanks.