Stuck in the middle..

Okay so I am completely stuck on what I want, or what I need, to do. Originally I decided to go to college and get a degree in something abstract. Something that I would enjoy, just to have a degree and to get an all around education. This just meant that I would finish out my four years, then work on my packet to get into the flight school.

The problem now is I am in college, and I am just not happy. I like the college experience, but all I can ever think about is flying and moving on to going into the army. Every day I see helicopters flying into the city, landing on the hospital and military blackhawk helicopters flying in on occasion. I am just having a huge issue waiting, as I am ready to get to my dream.

I am just looking for some advice here. What do you guys think?

I joined the military right out of high school and didn't start going to college until later. I have no real regrets on that front. If anything, it just helped me pay for and appreciate my education more later.

I say follow your dreams. Keep going to school, but apply as well. You don't have to quit going to school just because you're a WO in the Army. You can keep getting your education.

When I leave for WOCS, I'll still have a year left to finish at Embry-Riddle before I have my 4 year degree. I'll finish it later on. For now, I'd rather learn something different for a while.

Okay so I am completely stuck on what I want, or what I need, to do. Originally I decided to go to college and get a degree in something abstract. Something that I would enjoy, just to have a degree and to get an all around education. This just meant that I would finish out my four years, then work on my packet to get into the flight school.

The problem now is I am in college, and I am just not happy. I like the college experience, but all I can ever think about is flying and moving on to going into the army. Every day I see helicopters flying into the city, landing on the hospital and military blackhawk helicopters flying in on occasion. I am just having a huge issue waiting, as I am ready to get to my dream.

I am just looking for some advice here. What do you guys think?

Hang on. Are you sure your name is Lindsey? :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I felt (feel) the same way. But I'm four months out from finishing my degree, so I'm finishing it. I honestly wish I would have gone into the Army straight out of High School, but who knows, maybe this will work out for the best. I am glad I will have a degree, though.

It's a very personal decision. There isn't really a consensus on this issue. How far into your degree are you?

Yeah, everyone I have talked to goes back and forth on the topic. Some say it is better to get a degree, then others say they went straight in. I feel that the positives to waiting would be the maturity level and experience. I'd be more prepared to handle what would be thrown at me, but then I feel like if I could not handle it now then I wouldn't be able to do handle it then either.

I am only a month into my first year, straight out of high school. My thinking is that if I am already unhappy now, how much worse can it get? But I am still stuck because I know having a degree will help, especially with getting accepted to the flight program.

It is a hard topic, because it is (like Lindsey says) a personal choice.

Yeah, everyone I have talked to goes back and forth on the topic. Some say it is better to get a degree, then others say they went straight in. I feel that the positives to waiting would be the maturity level and experience. I'd be more prepared to handle what would be thrown at me, but then I feel like if I could not handle it now then I wouldn't be able to do handle it then either.

I am only a month into my first year, straight out of high school. My thinking is that if I am already unhappy now, how much worse can it get? But I am still stuck because I know having a degree will help, especially with getting accepted to the flight program.

It is a hard topic, because it is (like Lindsey says) a personal choice.

If I were a couple years out from finishing my degree, I think HeloIdaho's advice is good. Take classes and apply for WOFT simultaneously. The Army will always be there, yes, but so will college. If you are unhappy, why get into debt (if you're taking out loans)? I'd say put your packet in.

I have a scholarship that basically pays my entire tuition, but I am paying for living expenses. My other thought was to get in a couple years of school and during that time put together my packet etc. Then, see where I am at that point and submit it. If I suddenly cannot stand it anymore before then, I can just submit it sooner or whatever comes up.

It is a tough situation, but one that I'll have to work with before I can decide what I truly want.

Originally I decided to go to college and get a degree in something abstract. Something that I would enjoy

If you enjoy flying, get the degree in something useful (not abstract), like Business, or Computers. Don't waste your degree on a hobby.

Nothing has worked out for me, and I can't help but wonder that, if I had finished college, maybe things wouldn't be so bad now. STAY IN SCHOOL!

If you really need to scratch that "flying itch", try getting your Recreational or Private license (whichever's cheaper)then maybe you could fly around on a weekend for a half hour or so?

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

I'm in almost your same situation. I did the DEP and was set to ship the summer after my graduation from High school. Out of the blue a LTC. from an ROTC program called me and asked if I would rather become an officer. My ultimate goal was always to fly so I took the opportunity and left for college. Halfway through my freshman year I decided that studying some abstract concepts that don't apply to anything was not my piece of pie. I decided not to come back for the second year and I was stuck at home wondering how I was going to become a WO. Now I'm working full time and saving money for a 2 year aviation science/professional pilot program, and it looks like I'll have another shot. (And I'm only 20! I have almost 10 more years to get into flight)

Moral of the story: Decide what is right for you and do it, if it turns out you were wrong, you're young, and still have plenty of time to try something else. Just stay out of trouble with the law, don't get caught up in drugs, and go pursue your dream, because no one else will for you.