Flight School Dropout Rate

I ran out of money after busting a check ride so I took a couple months off to try and rebuild my funds. I couldn't bring myself to keep throwing money at it so I found a different way to do things and it has worked out awesome. I guess you could say I took more of a break than dropping out as I am already done with all my fixed wing training and it's just a matter of getting current and taking the check ride, which I fully intend on doing as soon as I have the money.

I'll just rely on my girlfriend to become a lawyer, and live off of her money.... and demand she buy me a 407 for my bday one year.

My friend is a lawyer, and by lawyer I mean entry level high school librarian. Her school's publication even headlines the severe lack of jobs in the field.

Lawyers are almost as overproduced as pilots, I wouldn't shop for 407's quite yet.

So I might have to settle for a 44 instead. I'll take it regardless!

Never settle!

Edited by ADRidge

• 2 weeks later...

According to Mark Benson of APCO Insight and the AOPA, “lack of educational quality, customer focus, community, and information sharing are the four key reasons student pilots drop out of flight training.”

http://www.aopa.org/summit/news/2010/101110flight_training_summit.html

Edited by Tom22
  • Like 1

According to Mark Benson of APCO Insight and the AOPA, “lack of educational quality, customer focus, community, and information sharing are the four key reasons student pilots drop out of flight training.”

http://www.aopa.org/summit/news/2010/101110flight_training_summit.html

That's very prophetic, and looking back those were major issues I had with my flight school.

$200,000 and I never got a "thank's for being a customer" or a free cocktail coupon. And my academic "adviser" didn't know my name.

The lack of information sharing and community is huge. You can find massive amounts of data resources for, of all things, video games that make aviation tools look like a joke.

$200,000

DAMN, and the advisor didn't know your name. For that money I would.....nevermind!! :rolleyes:

Edited by Trans Lift

It seems like part of the problem is lack of customer mobility and consumer awareness. Most people stick with their terrible flight schools rather then go somewhere else.

The collage schools don't accept transfers, you have to retain from private, people want to stick with a school assuming that transfer students would be second in line to be hired, and changing schools isn't as easy as using a new laundry detergent.

Well I think that Mark Benson's 4 key reasons can be whittled down to 3, as long as students find these forums. And the other 3 can be taken care of by following the advice on these forums when findind the "right school for you".

After reading this thread I came up with more questions I will ask before choosing a school. I guess maybe I am a sucker but I still plan on going for it ALL THE WAY! Hope I end up being on the other side of the statistic.