AStar down in LA

Goldy

So Ch2's Astar went down at WHP airport this morning. Took off the tail during a flare, but all are ok. Way too early to speculate, but sure sounded like it was mechanical, possible an engine fail.

I have buddies that fly that ship, so glad all are ok.

Geez. Glad everyone is okay. When I saw the title, I had visions of that helicopter in NYC playing hopscotch on the roofs of a few residential buildings. :o

Goldy,

Do you know if it's a B2 or B3?

JD- I don't but I can call one of the pilots and find out for ya.

Updated info indicates an engine failure just after take-off. The tail rotor landed about 50 feet away, but the ship looks fine if you don't look at the tail.

If I forget to post it, just PM me and I'll let you know the B2/B3 answer.

Thanks Goldy. I found a picture with the registration on the tail. According to the FAA site it's a b2 with the 1D1 engine. I thought it might be a B3 since it has the heat sheild on the tail aft of the exhaust. Let me know, I am flying the B2 and A119 so I try to keep up on issues related to them. Thanks,

JD

Glad to have read Derek and Chris were/are OK.

-WATCH FOR THE PATTERNS, WATCH FOR THE WIRES-

Just talked to one of the guys, he told me that ship had the LTS conversion....not sure that matters, time will tell.

To All, glad it worked out OK for pilot and pax! The AS350 1D1 has the LTS101 engine that has a history of problems. Honeywell has taken that engine over from Lycoming and made major improvements and upgrades to it.

Best to All,

Mike

I flew the AS350D that had crashed on Catalina. That also had been converted from the Arriel 1B engine. That engine was taken out and the LTS 101-600-A3 was installed. That engine failed at just over 13,000 hours.

The B2 has the Arriel 1D1 engine and the B3 has the 2B1 engine (same as the EC130B4).

I never had been a fan of the Lycoming engine but the 2B1 has had several failures that I know of as well.

It'll be interesting to see what the actual failure was in the engine and compare that with the others.

I never had been a fan of the Lycoming engine but the 2B1 has had several failures that I know of as well.

That's true, did you hear about the one that happened to PA at the FF? For some reason I think I recall you asking me about it but I'm not sure.

Yep. You told me about that one. I recall another one while I was there that happened on the ramp. Papillon had on in the Canyon not long ago too. Not sure what engine that one was. I'd have to dig up the NTSB report.