Recording Lessons

bqmassey

I'm about to start flight training. I'd like to record the the lessons, so I can review them afterwards. I think this would help a lot with retention.

For video, I've seen folks use the GoPro Hero. [link] I'm not very knowledgeable about video cameras, so if there are better options please advise. I've never seen inside of a Schweizer 300C, so I don't really know how I'm going to mount it.

For audio, I'd really like to record the intercom. I'd like to record all of the conversation between the instructor and me, and all of the radio transmissions. I don't think the GoPro has a mic input, so I'll have to record it into something else. I thought this would be a simple thing, but from what I've read it can be quite complicated. I don't know anything about the intercom system. From what I've found online I'll have to attenuate the the signal.

I'd appreciate it greatly if someone could provide some insight here. My understanding of electronics is very basic, but with some guidance I may be able to piece something together.

Check this out, it's what I use.

http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/minidvr3-bullet-camera.html

It has an external mic that you can tuck inside your earcup, and the bullet cam mounts right to the side of your headset. You can't even tell its there as long as you manage the wires well.

Thanks for the reply. That's not a bad little setup. Looks smaller than the GoPro. I wonder if the quality is comparable. I'll look into it.

I plan on using an in-the-ear headset, so I won't be able to use an external mic from the camera. I'll need a line directly to the intercom.

How many headset can you plug into a 300C intercom? You're supposed to be able to put three people in it, so I assume there will be a spare jack. I think I can use that. What I'd really like is to be able to split off the audio to my headset, one line going to my headset and the other to the audio recorder. If I do that, will I be able to record both sides of the conversation, in addition to the radio calls, and I won't waste a jack on the intercom.

www.dogcamsport.co.uk

www.fastfilms.co.uk

www.contour-hd.co.uk

www.roadhawk.co.uk

Some sites to visit The Mk 111 = About 4.4 Gbts per HR in full definition

Most 300 have 3 drop sockets for intercom.