Beating a Dead Horse

So training under part 61 the following applys:

§ 61.63 Additional aircraft ratings (other than for ratings at the airline transport pilot certification level).

(a) General. For an additional aircraft rating on a pilot certificate, other than for an airline transport pilot certificate, a person must meet the requirements of this section appropriate to the additional aircraft rating sought.

(b ) Additional aircraft category rating. A person who applies to add a category rating to a pilot certificate:

(1) Must complete the training and have the applicable aeronautical experience.

(2) Must have a logbook or training record endorsement from an authorized instructor attesting that the person was found competent in the appropriate aeronautical knowledge areas and proficient in the appropriate areas of operation.

(3) Must pass the practical test.

(4) Need not take an additional knowledge test, provided the applicant holds an airplane, rotorcraft, powered-lift, weight-shift-control aircraft, powered parachute, or airship rating at that pilot certificate level.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So in a Robbie to comply with SFAR73 you need 20 hours before flying solo.

§ 61.129 Aeronautical experience you need 50 hours helicopter with 35 hours PIC so I see a minimum of 55 hours before a checkride could be scheduled in a R-22.

Am I missing something?

Jerry :huh:

Edited by IFLY

I think you are right.

SFAR 73 2.(B)(3) specifies:

A person who does not hold a rotorcraft category and helicopter class rating must have had at least 20 hours of dual instructions in a Robinson R-22 helicopter prior to operating it in solo flight.

This would be for initial students as well as for students that already have a FW license and want to add on. That's how I'd read it.

Edited by Hawkeye0001

The SFAR is not a rating though.

No, but if a FW pilot decided to get a PP add-on in a Robinson product, the SFAR would apply to them. I think that's what he was getting at.