E6B App.

Anybody have an E6B app on their EVO 4G?

looks like I have 6 choices, Sporty's, Android Flight Director, Pocket E6B by Av8tor Dave, Phone E6B, Avilution, And Wind Computer from AvDroid.

Any comments on which is best?

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody have an E6B app on their EVO 4G?

looks like I have 6 choices, Sporty's, Android Flight Director, Pocket E6B by Av8tor Dave, Phone E6B, Avilution, And Wind Computer from AvDroid.

Any comments on which is best?

I have on my Droid one titled FlightTools E6B, it was free and works pretty good. BUT...nothing beats the old fashion E6B, no batteries and works great! ;)

Do any of you employed pilots ever use the E6B in real life? :huh:

Back when it was called a "computer"- yes. I think I still have one in my kit... somewhere.

The one and only thing the whiz-wheel type devices did better than a digital wonder was that they were obvious approximations. Having a WAG to the 10th decimal makes some think that that's important. A little uncertainty in the process promotes considering options and planning for "what-ifs".

The E6B is a great FW tool...no batteries, and something you can actually use in flight. But for us, seriously? Before I got the iPhone, I picked up a used CX2. Even that I guess I use at a fraction of it's capabilities.

Now, all of this is inherited from my flight instructors, who hadn't picked up an E6B since their last check ride. Be interested to hear if anybody out there is still sticking one in their flight bag.

I guess my real question is; since the E6B seems to be more of a long distance cross country tool, do any of us ever even need it?

Most of my cross country time is within a 65 mile radius, which I would call "local" cross country, most of the time I don't even need my GPS.

Remember all those questions on the written tests; time and distance to the station, relative bearings, backwards E6B problems, miles off course divided by miles flown, etc..., who does those in real life?

I can see using it(or the digital version in my GPS)for a ferry flight, but how often are those even done? Other than that, flying ENG, Tours, LE, EMS, Fire Service, etc..., who really needs it?

:huh:

Edited by r22butters

Like Wally, I think I have one on a shelf in a closet somewhere, but I haven't seen it in decades. By now, I can do the required calculations in my head. How long will it take to get to the destination, how much fuel do I need, etc, those are all easy enough. The GPS shows me how far it is, and I can guesstimate the flight time based on the winds I see. I know the fuel burn on my ship, and I know how much reserve I need (and that's not necessarily how much the Feds require) and it's not that hard to figure out if I have enough for the trip. I also need enough to get to a refueling location, and I keep track of the closest, and the preferred, locations as I go. In short, I don't need an E6B, and don't use one. Even for a long cross-country, I can do it in my head. After a few thousand times flying most of the way across the Gulf of Mexico in barely legal weather, it becomes second nature. I don't need the exact true airspeed based on the altitude and temperature, for a helicopter close is good enough.

Do any of you employed pilots ever use the E6B in real life? :huh:

Nope don't use it. I second what Gomer said.

Having flown in Alaska I can also say compasses don't work very well up there. So you better be able to get to your destination via pilotage alone. Don't rely on a GPS either, they can and will fail!

Crook