Vibram Five Finger Shoes

Kimbo

Huh. Hmmm. Personally, I kinda like Flint Lockwoods spray-on shoes from Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs.

With the five finger shoes, what happens if you're missing a toe or couple? Just a thought.

-WATCH FOR THE PATTENS, WATCH FOR THE WIRES-

I fly a little red R22 wearing Vibram 5 fingers shoes. They provide a better feel on the pedals. I am quicker and smoother. The shoes have very thin soles and give me another inch of leg room. Some skill is required to put them on. I find them excellent for walking. It takes a bit to time to learn how to walk using your muscles to do the shock absorbtion. I bought them for use in a seaplane. I have only done a few amphibious operations.

I love the Vibrams for running (just as long as I take it slow), and I see where you're going with them for flying...nice, smooth soles to slide on the pedals. Try it, but they can be pretty uncomfortable for driving or just walking around in. Personally I like the Nike Free. I started with trail running shoes (thick knobby sole), and my pedal work didn't really improve until I switched to a smooth sole.

I got a pair for christmas. I think I am one of a very small percentage of people where the shoe just did not fit right. My little toe was just too small for the 'toe spot'. My feet are small for my build (I wear a ladies 6 - 6 1/2) and my toes are almost non existent :)

I can barely keep my foot on the R22 pedal in the first place..I need that extra shoe from regular shoes to keep my feet on the pedal :)

I returned them and got a regular pair of shoes. Seriously considering buying booster pedals too. is there such a thing??

No booster pedals as far as I am aware of, but Robinson does sell a "booster" seat cushion that sits behind your back and moves you closer to the controls. Highly recommended for shorter people, you'll always have trouble with the pedals if your legs aren't quite long enough.

You could use regular cushion as well, as long as you secure it somehow so it doesn't fly out the side when flying doors off.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've read on here before about the proper footwear to use would be a good boot to hike out of an unforgiving place in case you had to setdown somewhere out of the ordinary. Just saying...

I've read on here before about the proper footwear to use would be a good boot to hike out of an unforgiving place in case you had to setdown somewhere out of the ordinary. Just saying...

At some point in your flying career, you will have to land short of destination. That might be at an unimproved site with a walk to your ride. If you fly enough, this too will happen. Dress for the weather, with appropriate footwear.

• Like 2

Why not wear flip flops? Just as much protection and "feel." In case you couldn't tell, I am being facetious. If you are training to be a professional pilot, which I expect most students are, I would recommend you start dressing/acting like a professional pilot as well. Which usually means some form of sturdy boot/shoe. I could not imagine any serious company allowing their pilots to wear anything less. I canceled a flight because my student was not in proper gear. I know I sound harsh, but just something to think about in your journey of flight. Fly safe!

The appropriate shoe will vary depending on whether you're flying in Alaska, the Oz outback, or somewhere between New York and Philadelphia. My preferred flying footwear is leather boat shoes. They're comfortable, and provide some traction on top of a dew-covered helicopter just before dawn. They work well enough on the pedals, and I can walk for a long time in them. I know of several helicopter pilots who had their careers ended by falls from the top of helicopters while preflighting, and a greasy helicopter becomes very slick when it's covered in dew. Athletic shoes are worthless up there, as are most shoes. Boat shoes are the best I've found. Maybe not ideal for walking in the boonies, but good enough. I tend to defend against the most likely peril, and I preflight every day.

Five finger shoes? Aren't they already called "gloves"? Oh, for your feet! Since your toes serve no other function (at least that I can think of) other than balance, I can't see why you'd want them for flying, or anything else. I wear Topsiders when flying and always have. I never had a particular reason, other than comfort. But a Alaska pilot told me several times "wear what you have to walk out in". I guess I should buy some flippers.

Edited by helonorth

Ditto that, I generally stick with, "Never fly in anything you wouldn't want to hike in." Then again I was helicopter- weaned on a glacier and now fly in the ruthlessly hot desert. Opposing extremes but it holds true nonetheless.

Generally agree with LifeApresMil, though recently was flying in my minus 40 boots and had to take them off and fly in my socks cause they were so big I was hitting both pedals at the same time. Last summer in Alaska I actually spent a night out on a glacier with 8 clients after getting weathered in and was wearing running shoes but thank goodness for thick wool socks. It's all about the socks. A good sock day makes everything OK. I prefer merino wool for both hot and cold.

Edited by Whistlerpilot