Vibration Reduction on my GoPro Camera

A while back I had asked around what I can do to reduce the vibration from the Helicopter on my GoPro Camera. A gyro is not in my budget, so DP pointed me to Sorbothane.

So, I created a one minute side by side comparison video.

cheers,

Swisster

As far as I know, the GoPros do not have Image stabilization.

I guess for now I am sticking with Sorbothane. But I would love to improve the vibration reduction some more.

Can you upload a picture of your mount system? As a GoPro Guru I might be able to help.

Here you can see how I mounted my GoPro cam in the R-22:

http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/topic/13844-gopro-video-camera-mount-for-r-22/

I do like the view the camera provides from that position, so I can see what I do right or wrong when I review the flight. I utilize the headset hook. Now in the picture you see the version with the weather stripping. I will post a picture tomorrow with the Sorbothane.

All it is, a Sorbothane (rubber) plug where the hole is, there is a incision in the Sorbothane which I then slide over the hook.

But I am open for any suggestions you have so I can further minimize the vibration. I would like to keep the camera in that area because as mentioned above, it gives me the view I am after.

Thanks for your input.

Swisster

It almost looks like your mount allows too much movement, therefore you get the vibration. I have hung the go pro ALL over the helicopter for different shots and have yet to have THAT bad of a vibration issue. the supplied suction cup mount is pretty darned impressive. I would find a way to mount it in the helicopter with that. Can you mount it up above you in the middle or on the overhead window (I have .5 in an R22 so I dont know the layout, dont crucify me if you cant) But with the wide angle lense, it should grab the whole cockpit still.

• Like 1

Clay,

There is a small window above the left seat, and I know guys who mounted their goPros up there with the suction cup mount. There is hardly any vibration, but the point of view sucks. I did buy a clamp with a swivel head on it, so I might try that and clamp it on that head set hook instead of letting this thing hang there.

Thanks,

Swisster

• 3 weeks later...

I got my hands on another piece of Sorbothane, different consistency so to speak:

See for yourself in a side by side comparison:

That 30 Durometer sure makes a difference!

Lastly I did a triple side by side comparison, sort of hard to see:

cheers,

Swisster