Helicycle experience excellent

I have been flying my Helicycle since September 1st of last year when I finished my build and the factory checkout was finished. My first 9 months of flying this helicopter has far exceeded my expectations, which were high anyway. Many other Helicycles have been observed by myself, with many talks to the pilots, and my expectations were very high of having myself experience what I have seen others having. My Helicycle has been flown here in Illinois very regularly from temperature spreads of 8 degrees last winter to 98 degrees just last Saturday when I was invited to fly to and demonstrate my helicopter in front of a national Flying Farmers convention. The Helicycle literally stole the show of the 60 flying farmers that flew in from 6 states. I keep my Helicycle in my stairshop where its feathers are preened consistently and ready for the next flight whenever I get a whim to fly it. This machine so far is the easiest to maintain over the other 4 gyroplanes I have flown since 1985. Seriously, 11 grease zerks, lube the tail rotor shaft with a couple drops of oil, belt tension has been checked regularly with absolutely no adjusstments since the belts seated in the first 5 hours, all controls have been monitored with no adjustments to date. I have had the turbine start every time, and does it ever run so smooth and quietly. I have a stubborn system of checks, and one is my free fuel flow rate to the turbine. Every 10 hours I take the fuel line off and check my free fuel flow rate into a 5 gallon gas can. 2 months ago I discovered my flow had decreases 25 %, so I checked into it. I discovered my fuel filter screed in my Andair gascolator was half plugged dark geen/black algae. I was immediately educated on the use of Biobor being added to my fuel which is kerosene purchased 55 gallons at a time in my fuel drum. No problem since, and I have now regularly inspected my fuel filter screen every 5 hours. It is staying spotless. Many here may remember when I had a flameout last veterans day, over zealously pulling collective, and stalling out my turbine at 150 feet/40 mph. It was pilot error mostly, however I found out my fuel wasnt turned on enough to the turbine also. Since then, I have become a most improved pilot with a successful 200 foot runon forced landing under my belt. Changes were made also so that my MFS is now NO instead of NC, a backup battery isolated by diodes is on constant standby to keeep my governor supplied with 12 volts needed for controlling the turbine. Can it quit still??? Of course! Thats why I practice autos a lot. They are not only fun, you never know when you will need to actually do one in the real world of an actual engine out. I could go on and on, but to sum it uop, so far, knocking on wood, my Helicycle has been as dependable as a tractor. It has never let me down yet, but I let it down once. To date I have 98 videosfrom it on YouTube. Go under "Helicyclepilot" and you can view the videos that should speak louder than I can type. I am living my dream of flying a helicopter that i built myself, and most importantly, I am flying it with a lot of confidence that it is a dependable machine , as long as I prudently keep preening its feathers, and gain helicopter skills. I appreciate all the comments here in the past, both positive, and the constructve critiques that I listen to and learn from. In my opinion, from what I have experienced, and what I have seen other Helicycle pilots experience, this is one serious viable little helicopter. Stan. Illinois

• Like 1

Stan, I am glad to hear that you are enjoying your helo. Continued good wishes and be safe. Call or email if you need anything.

Mike

• Like 1

Cherminator- That 220 pound figure is way too conservative. I weigh 225, and flew the other day with full fuel, 98 degrees and very humid. It had all kinds of extra power. There are several pilots much larger than myself...some I would say are 250 pounds...and are flying all kinds of hours on this. There is one pilot that I dont know the weight of...but he is pretty large...and he has more hours in the Helicycle than anyone, and even went up to 12,300 feet in his.

Stan

Cherminator- That 220 pound figure is way too conservative. I weigh 225, and flew the other day with full fuel, 98 degrees and very humid. It had all kinds of extra power. There are several pilots much larger than myself...some I would say are 250 pounds...and are flying all kinds of hours on this. There is one pilot that I dont know the weight of...but he is pretty large...and he has more hours in the Helicycle than anyone, and even went up to 12,300 feet in his.

Stan

I don't know if I would want to be purposely exceeding the manufacturers weight limits. Couldn't that bring on all kinds of problems down the road if an accident occurred of some kind? The 220 lb weight limit posted on their site is the only text on the whole page that is actually in boldface. It looks to me like they really want people to know about the weight limit.

http://helicycle.com/Specs/Helicycle%20Turbine%20Specs.htm

I love the idea of the machine, I just wish it was a little better-suited for heavier people like myself, like the Mosquito appears to be. When I say I'm 225 lbs, that's without outdoor clothing like jackets, boots, etc.

It would be interesting to see a direct comparison between the two machines.