Do you do all the flying, or does the examinar take the controls and "pretend" to be a student (forcing you to direct him, or grab the controls in time before he crashes)?

:huh:

• Like 1

Unless it has changed recently, the FAA has been requiring that the initial CFI ride be done with an inspector. However, since most inspectors are not really current, what I have been seeing is that the inspector will conduct the oral and observe a portion of the flight test from the ground. The participate in the debrief. After that ride all others can be with a DPE. In all my CFI rides and I have taken 5 rides (CFI-A, CFI-I (A), CFI-MEI, CFI-H, CFI-I (H). The person conducting the checkride has never played the student. On my initial ride, the inspector wanted to try the aircraft. It was a CE210 with a Robertson STOL kit, so I talked him through a STOL takeoff. He didn't have to pretend about having problems. Let's say it was an interesting trip around the traffic pattern. And this was back in the days when inspectors flew a lot more than they do now. And on my CFI-H ride, the examiner showed me a couple of different ways to conduct a full down auto.

Well,

All of my students and fellow students(when I was one) have done their CFI with a DPE not an inspector. One my CFI ride the DPE did have the controls for a portion of the ride and act as a student. How can they evaluate a CFI with out doing so? A big part of being a CFI is catching and correcting mistakes.

I've heard it going both ways. On my CFI check ride the DPE didnt touch the controls...except when he held the throttle closed during a "power recovery" which turned into my touch down auto :)

If you go for your CFI I'd just ask some people about the DPE your planning on using.

• 2 weeks later...

On the post about the Canadian Commercial, it mentions things like; stuck-pedal, unusual attitude recovery,...

Any of you ever done stuff like that on the CFI checkride?...it seems like that type of stuff would be important for a flight instructor?

• Like 1

On the post about the Canadian Commercial, it mentions things like; stuck-pedal, unusual attitude recovery,...

Any of you ever done stuff like that on the CFI checkride?...it seems like that type of stuff would be important for a flight instructor?

Neither came up in my CFI checkride, did both as part of my 135 ride however.