droop stop

500E

Had a problem with blade bolts so tight you were using power bar + then tried to remove grip assembly! bar +++!! was not part of 100 hour but AP was worried as we had not had machine before, only 500 hours from new mostly training, heavy autos? to ground, blades sailing in wind & pounding?, or tight grip assembly?.

Whatever not nice a bit further & break out blade droops on run down tail strike blade sudden stoppage much $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

DSCF0326.jpg

DSCF0327.jpg

DSCF0328-1.jpg

DSCF0330.jpg

• Like 2

Scary the bolts were so tight dont know how they dropped, no undue wear on stops.

Will try another photo with pic of stops, the one I took was blurred (shaky hand)no apparent wear or damage.

New bolts & ring on order.

DSCF0337.jpg

• Like 1

This is droop stop pounding and lack of lube.(it may not have been totally in flight).. the current design droop stop ring doesn't have grease zerks but they are on the older ones and it is very necessary... should also be grease where the ring and stops meet... it used to be in the service section... I'll have to look. If it went 500 hours and no lube... that is not suprising. The blade bolts and pitch shaft bolts would have nothing to do with it. The bolts are stretch torqued and they're pretty dang tight. .009-.012" and that's a pretty stout bolt.

• Like 1

Tend to agree API looks like lack of grease,but plenty of lube up there before striping & washing,we look after 10+ 300 from the oldest to newest but never had one you had to use a power bar & 5 Ft pipe to remove bolts, blade bolts way to tight as well, the AP has 35 years working on both 300 & 500.

Never liked stretch bolts & split pin combination, the go\nogo tool would not fit.

We rented out one ship to the FBI to train their new students, ( they rather tear up our 300 rather than their JetRanger). They would use their own instructor & one day i was watching cool down near the fuel pump, & they must have had the trim set to full fwd & both of them let the stick go & dam ! you should have heard that droop stop pounding ! o ran up to the ship, pulled the stick to the center & asked did they not feel the pounding? Both of them had no idea what i was talking about.

I have never seen a zirc fitting to grease the droop stop & i have worked on some pretty ancient ships. I just use an acid brush & when i purge the pitch change bearing, just bruse the x-tra that comes out onto the stop, and top & pottom plates of the stop.

I highly doubt that you could pound the droop stop in flight under normal conditions & IF somehow you did ? I bet you would come pretty close to chopping the tailboom off due to low rotor rpm.

Remind me never to hire to FBI :ph34r:

Would agree, to do it in flight would be a place no amount of money would get me.

Had not thought of trim Full Forward, (trying run away trim motor landing ? now there's a way to grab your attention especially in the 500) only blade sail & autos to ground HARD