I want to FLY

Pilot430

First let me start off by explaining that I am beyond addicted to helicopters. I caught the bug early in life when an air medical 206 BIII landed in front of me. I was about 3 years old at the time and ever since then I have wanted to fly helicopters.

My dad used to drive me out to the airport and we would watch the helicopters and airplanes all day. When I got my drivers license, I would drive every day to a local hospital and watch the helicopters come and go. Eventually, I got to know the flight crew and flight director very well and I was offered to go on a ride-along. I was a Jr in high school and it was my first time riding in a helicopter. We had 5 flights that day and it confirmed to me that I was meant to be a pilot! I asked the flight director if I could participate in an internship with the air medical program and he suggested that during my Sr. year of high school I earn credit while participating in an "off-campus" internship. My high school was apprehensive at first but eventually said yes and every other day during my Sr. Year of high school, I was able to be a part of an awesome air medical program, one that was recognized as the #1 program a few years ago by AAMS.

After I graduated from high school, I worked for a Local FBO and then served an LDS mission for two years. After my mission I returned and started flight school immediatley. After 10 months, I had my private, instrument and commercial with a job offer flying a Bell 206 doing tours and film work. Then my whole world flipped upside down when the operator of the 206 suddenly sold his helicopter and operation. At that point, I had spent so much money on flight training that I did not qualify to get more and return to get my CFI/CFII. That was three years ago. I worked for the airlines for a little while after that and am currently a Jr through UVU working at a degree in aviation administration.

I am now work for a police department where I have tried for the past two years to convince the administration of the importance and need of an aviation unit. Although they support it, they have no way to fund it. I have kept myself current and always apply for the low time job postings that rarely come around. I send emails and call operators when I hear of one that occasionally hires low time pilots, but so far no luck, and from what I have heard, luck is everything in this world.

I want operators out their to know that I am beyond passionate about this industry and that I am a team player, honest, very loyal, a hard worker and ready for any opportunity. I will simply do anything to fly. I eat, dream, sleep, helicopters. I am lucky enough to have a wife that is extremely supportive and she is willing to follow me where ever my passion of helicopters takes me. My ultimate goal in life is to fly helicopters for a living.

If anyone has any advice, suggestions, or ideas, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you. Thanks!

Go to the Career developement Tab at the top of this page and then click on the seminar & job fair tab that will drop down. This will direct you to the page where you can register for Heli-success. Register for it, arange for time off work, hotel reservation, and transportation. Show up in Las Vegas with your resume ready to network and interview.

By the way, you may be lucky and get a scholorship for advanced training which will be given away there.

Hope to see you there ;)

While helisuccess is a great networking opportunity, at this time, its not what you need.

Save the money and work to obtain your CFII. Without the CFII, your path to obtain your ultimate goal will be next to impossible.

Teaching as a CFII is the most common entry level helicopter position offered in this business. I say again: teaching as a CFII is the most common entry level helicopter position offered in this business. If you can not qualify for the most common entry level position offered in this business, then your pro flying opportunities will be fleeting.

Building flight time as a CFII is the easiest way, if not the only way, to advance in this industry within a somewhat reasonable timeframe. Degree or no degree….

If I only had a dime for every time a cop asked me, how can I start an Air Unit?….. In short, dont waste your time…

Edited by Spike

To be honest, you are wasting your time right now. If you want to fly profesionaly, then get your CFI/II and start teaching! As Spike said, it is the most common and easiest, best way to build the magic 1000 hours where you will qualify for many entry level jobs. I'm sorry but I hate to be the bearer of bad news, however if you don't have your CFI/II and teach to get your thousand, unless you have a few hundred thousand to spend to build your flight time, your dream will be hard pressed to be a reality.

We have all been there, and while I applaud your motivation to fly professionally, you are probably barking up the wrong tree with where you are currently in your career. However, I think its great you are at UVU pursuing a degree. That degree will set you apart from many others in the job market down the road, however you need to get your 1000 hours before you can even begin to see the the market open up for you.

Just my .02 cents