Randy Babbitt busted for DUI

Why should he not lose his job, when a pilot will almost certainly lose his job after a DWI arrest? The FAA will pull the medical certificate, so the pilot can't work. I know of a recent case where a pilot was arrested for DUI, and fired before he bailed out. It happens all the time, and the FAA Administrator should be held to no lower standard than any pilot.

• Like 4

Cabfare seems pretty cheap to Randy right about now. We only get one shot at most of our decisions, and he should be held at least to the same standard as a pilot.

• Like 1

I think he should be held to even higher standards. For one he is a pilot, correct? or at least has been. Second, how can anyone in their right mind enforce a standard they don't uphold themselves? This kind of crap really pisses me off! I have kids that walk home from the bus stop. I drive on America's roads with my wife and kids in the car. Guess what I also drink but I'll be damned if I go out and drink without a plan! In all this guys years are you telling me he can use an excuse such as "mistakes happen"? Screw that, he should be charged with attempted manslaughter, I would expect myself to be charged with the same if I took anything more than a horse or a bicycle on the road while toasted.

I hope he loses his job, and good riddance!

when a pilot will almost certainly lose his job after a DWI arrest? The FAA will pull the medical certificate, so the pilot can't work.

As far as I know most pilots won't lose their medical for their 1st one. There are plenty of pilots out there flying with dui's on their record. Some with more than 1 (that part blows me away). A pilot's job just depends of the bosses point of view and of course the insurance standards.

I think he should be held to even higher standards.

True being the head of the faa. He might not even get convicted of a dui though. Espeially if he has a lot of strings to pull.

Guess what I also drink but I'll be damned if I go out and drink without a plan!

I agree. Someone of his age should know better then that.

I'm not saying it's right or people should be allowed to drink and drive. I'm sure he's going to get plenty of grief and repercussions from this if he even gets convicted.

• Like 1

People make mistakes - pilots that have DUI's on record before attaining ratings, or even ones that get one as a rated pilot with hours, deserve to set things straight if they can prove that they are making changes and being responsible. A defered or suspended medical certificate is totally understandable and acceptable in such situations. Repeat offenders is another argument...

However....I believe that if you are the head of the FAA, you can't be getting busted for DUI. Hate to break it to you but everyone is not equal in this country, and someone in Randy's position must hold himself to higher standards for a lot of reasons. Your mistakes affect more than just yourself when you are the head of an established organization, especially one like the FAA. Is he immune from making such mistakes? No. But when he does, it's time to go.

Example: A lot of people cheat on their significant others - I don't condone it either way. Joe Shmoe can probably work his problems out in relative privacy and move on with his life, but if you're Tiger Woods...expect to get dropped from a few sponsors.

Just my 2c.

• Like 1

Administrator Babbit just resigned.

STATEMENT FROM RANDY BABBITT

"Today I submitted my resignation to Secretary Ray LaHood and it has been accepted. Serving as FAA Administrator has been an absolute honor and the highlight of my professional career. But I am unwilling to let anything cast a shadow on the outstanding work done 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by my colleagues at the FAA. They run the finest and safest aviation system in the world and I am grateful that I had the opportunity to work alongside them. I am confident in their ability to successfully carry out all of the critical safety initiatives underway and the improvements that the FAA has planned. I also want to thank Secretary LaHood for his leadership and dedication to the safety of the traveling public."

I lost all respect for the FAA and their misuse of the medical certificate because of the Bob Hoover case.

There was a lot more to the Hoover case than simply losing his medical. Hoover played a big part in that before it came to losing the medical. Was what happened right? Of course not. Hoover pushed his luck in a big way with the FAA, which ultimately lead to the showdown that cost him his medical and the end of his career.

Why should he not lose his job, when a pilot will almost certainly lose his job after a DWI arrest? The FAA will pull the medical certificate, so the pilot can't work. I know of a recent case where a pilot was arrested for DUI, and fired before he bailed out.

There's nobody on this planet tougher on drunk driving than I am, but let's face it: it's rare that a pilot loses a job after a DUI, and the FAA doesn't withdraw medical certification following the first DUI.

The case to which you refer didn't involve the pilot losing his medical certificate, did it? He was fired; that's not at all the same as the FAA suspending his medical.

In 2009, the FAA position on DUI changed. Presently, if one refuses a breath or blood alcohol test, or one tests positive above .15, an Aviation Medical Examiner can't issue the medical certificate. It must be deferred to Oklahoma City for review. Any DUI requires counseling with the AME to investigate substance abuse, and a refusal or BAC over .15 requires referral to a substance abuse counselor.

Locally, we lost 2 kids to a drunk driver this past weekend:

http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-nws-cnu-student-death-car-crash-1206,0,7892164.story

I feel for Mr. B, I am sure he made the same mistake most people who drink and drive make. He is lucky he did not hurt/kill anyone and that he can go home to his family & friends for now.

If he needs help, I hope he gets it, before he makes the same mistake twice.