R66 NTSB

Pohi

I didn't know until I read this

http://www.24-7pressrelease.com/press-release/first-robinson-helicopter-r66-crash-victims-families-hire-baum-hedlund-261768.php

That the R66 is prone to tearing itself apart in flight. Preliminary NTSB I know, but kind of scary that the only fatalities involve reports of the helicopter flying apart. Hope they figure that one out soon.

Had kinda the same issue with the great Bell 206L. Turns out it was the main rotor blade cracking and coming apart in flight. Once that happens, stuff starts falling off everywhere. Now if your the lucky owner of a B206L, your blade life has been cut about 2/3....and your probably out looking to buy a new set of blades right now.

I hope they get to the bottom of the (2) R-66 events as well.

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=0619de62-ea2d-455a-9d1e-3bcb251d7955

From Goldy's link

Bell has determined the fatigue cracks occurred as a result of the use by a Bell supplier of unapproved manufacturing processes, which have since been corrected

Jeews I hope the idiot that decided to use an 'unapproved process', no doubt to save money and maximise profit, is locked up for a very long time.

All helicopters are prone to tearing themselves apart in flight. Excellent preflights, maintenance, and flying skills are crucial to preventing the helo from doing what would come naturally.

Edited by aeroscout

All helicopters are prone to tearing themselves apart in flight. Excellent preflights, maintenance, and flying skills are crucial to preventing the helo from doing what would come naturally.

Except manufacturing or design flaws, as in the case of the 206 blades and the possible R66 components.

I am most certainly not a Robbie basher, I flew the crap out of them; just hope they figure out the problem.

• Like 1

I see nothing that says the R66 is prone to tearing itself apart in flight. The only "thing" remotely connected to that is an eye-witness report who heard a crack, then saw the helicopter spin to the ground.

That "crack" could've been a number of things. A strike of some kind, negative G's causing a rotor to tail-boom collision or a host of other things.

Am I missing something?

I didn't know until I read this

http://www.24-7press...lund-261768.php

That the R66 is prone to tearing itself apart in flight. Preliminary NTSB I know, but kind of scary that the only fatalities involve reports of the helicopter flying apart. Hope they figure that one out soon.

A Robinson Helicopter spokeswoman, Loretta Conley, said the company considered all service bulletins to be mandatory requirements.

Only put this here because it will be read by R owners pilots.

I expect all out there have done ALL the SB including Fuel tanks.