WOFT timeline and PRK

So, I keep reading that a lot of you seem to be having trouble completing your packet because you either A) need PRK, B) are waiting now that PRK is done, or C) must compete certain steps in the correct WOFT packet order before you can do others.

Here's where I'm at and what I have been told thus far:

I completed the ASVAB and AFAST. Next I took my MEPS physical. Now this is interesting to me because I was allowed to take my MEPS physical because I am far-sighted and have been told that so long as my vision is within correctable parameters it won't affect me because if I'm selected I'll just be given PRK.

All I have left now is my flight physical, APFT and that's it. I have everything else.

What are your thoughts on the whole PRK thing? I mean at my MEPS physical when they did my eye exam (knowing I was there for WOFT) they checked me out and signed me off saying quote, "you're within range and good, they'll take care of that for ya."

I feel like this whole process has been going extremely smoothly and quickly for me. I literally decided to do this on 25-Jan and pending the flight physical and APFT (cake) will go to the 28-Mar BB in Seattle. I live in Alaska, so not sure if any of that makes a difference, but anyway, there it all is. Gimme some feedback.

I double checked with my recruiter again today and he assured me that there are "correctable parameters" for corrected vision and if you're within it won't affect your packet (no waiver required). I don't know what's what, but my physical is in a couple weeks so, we'll see I guess.

The requirements for passing your physical waiver free are all outlined in AR 40-501. There are two chapters you'll want to check out, Chapter 2 covers the requirements for entering service in general, and Chapter 4 covers the requirements for flying. Specifically in Chapter 4 you want the Class 1 requirements (Class 2 is what you'll take annually for the remainder of your career). The excerpts related to vision:

2-13:

a. Current distant visual acuity of any degree that does not correct with spectacle lenses to at least one of the following does not meet the standard:

(1) 20/40 in one eye and 20/70 in the other eye.

(2) 20/30 in one eye and 20/100 in the other eye.

(3) 20/20 in one eye and 20/400 in the other eye.

c. Current near visual acuity of any degree that does not correct to 20/40 in the better eye does not meet the standard.

4-12 (a):

(1) Distant visual acuity. Uncorrected distant visual acuity worse than 20/50 in each eye. If the distant visual acuity is 20/50 or better in either eye, each eye must be correctable to 20/20 with no more than 1 error per 5 presentations of 20/20 letters, in any combination, on either the Armed Forces Vision Tester (AFVT) or any projected Snellen chart set at 20 feet.

(2) Near visual acuity. Uncorrected near visual acuity worse than 20/20 in each eye; with no more than 1 error per 5 presentations of 20/20 letters, in any combination, on the AFVT or any Snellen near visual acuity card.

If you meet all of these standards (basically near vision 20/20 and far vision 20/20 with glasses, 20/50 without), you're good. If not you'll need a waiver. There's no defined standards for waiver approvals, they're decided on a case by case basis. If you need a waiver but it's denied your last option would be eye surgery. Any kind of eye surgery is disqualifying on a Class 1 flight physical so you're still stuck needing a waiver, but those are given out more easily. As far as not meeting the vision standards, being denied a waiver, but being allowed to enter service anyway on the condition you'll be given PRK, I've never heard of that, but I can't say for sure it doesn't happen.

Edited by d10
  • Like 1

(2) Near visual acuity. Uncorrected near visual acuity worse than 20/20 in each eye; with no more than 1 error per 5 presentations of 20/20 letters, in any combination, on the AFVT or any Snellen near visual acuity card.

If you meet all of these standards (basically near and far vision 20/20 with glasses, far vision 20/50 without, near vision any number without), you're good.

Not sure how I misread this but my summary is wrong. It's the Class 2 that allows for corrected near vision. To pass your Class 1 you need 20/20 near vision uncorrected.

I had to wait six months to get a flight physical after I had PRK. Seems like they are treating you differently.

This was the same with me in the Marines, but that was 10 years ago. Everything worked out after 6 months of post op. In the end , it was totally worth the 3K I spent to never having to wear glasses again.